Early September with young kids - will the heat make us regret it?

aidansmom

Mouseketeer
I'd love to get some opinions on early September heat, especially with kids and heat-haters. We were originally planning an early December trip, but are becoming concerned about the kids, ds12, dd10, ds7, dd4 missing school (they would miss 3 days on a 5 night trip). We go back to school after labor day this year, and could take a longer trip (9 nights), for much less money, with the kids only missing a day of school.

The extended length of the trip and cheaper price, as well as the fact that crowds are lower and park hours longer during this time frame, make it seem really appealing. However, the thought of the heat and humidity terrifies me. Any opinions/ advice/ experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You don't notice it as much when you're having fun at Disney. Plus there are so many air conditioned shops and rides that offer relief. Then there's always the pool. I wouldn't worry so much about the heat unless it would affect a medical problem.

We went in September after labor day weekend in 2012 and 2013. 2012 was high 80s and 2013 was high 90s and brutal. 2012 it was my 6month old and 4 year old. 2013 we had 2- 2 year olds, a 3 year old and a 5 year old.

2013 We pumped the kids full of water, kept them under the stroller shade, and it was still hard, but doable if you are prepared.

I recommend:
Definetly have a stroller. Even for 4 or 5 year olds. Cuts down on walking for them. The sit and stands were perfect for us.

Go at rope drop and leave by 1 to go home and nap. If you want to go back then go after dark.

Get a battery powered foam clip on fan for the stroller hoods. It was a major asset for the youngests.

Lots of baby wipes to keep everyone cool.
Lightweight clothing that you can spritz down with water bottles (the new water area in Fantasyland was awesome for this too.)

Snacks like grapes, apples, etc. Keep it light.

It's still my favorite time because of the low crowds. Also expect evening storms every night.

You don't notice it as much when you're having fun at Disney. Plus there are so many air conditioned shops and rides that offer relief. Then there's always the pool. I wouldn't worry so much about the heat unless it would affect a medical problem.
I disagree. I noticed it all day, from the time I woke up, and I got sick from the heat. My kids, however, had no problem with it.

It depends on your preferences. If you don't do well outside in the heat and humidity, Disney doesn't erase this fact. I have also gotten heat sick at the NY State Fair- I just prefer cooler weather.

My kids melt, but we go and have fun. I would even consider a double if your 7 year old is going to be whiny. We also get there at rope drop, leave for a nap/swim during the heat of the day and then head back for dinner. The shower and/or pool time seem to help everyone with the heat.

We've been twice in September. I'm not going to lie, it's hot and sticky humid. Like you walk out the door and your glasses fog up humid LOL! We bring a back pack and put we wash clothes in a baggie. We get free ice water from vendors and pour the ice water on the washclothes and lay on the back of the neck. You'd be surprised how cooling this can be!

We had a great trip both times, and as long as you drink lots, take breaks in the air conditioning, use the cold packs it's very doable and still loads of fun. I'd go back in September no problem.

With children we have been in March, May, June, July, August and October. Our oldest who was 11 at the time complained about the heat on one particularly steamy August day at AK. Other than that, stay hydrated, pack frog togs, bring misting fans and take afternoon breaks and it can still be a great trip. The afternoon breaks may also keep you out of the "seems like it happens everyday" afternoon thunderstorm also.

I was 33 weeks pregnant and had a 17m old when we went in August/Sept for our first trip. We enjoyed it so much we couldn't wait to go back, if that tells you anything. We just kept an eye on our next a/c activity, planned TS lunches for early afternoon to cool off, and had spray fans. We will ALWAYS have spray fans at WDW in the summer. ;) AK is my least favorite park in the heat, and I'm not sure if that's because there is less a/c frequency or if it just "looks" hotter.

I'd love to get some opinions on early September heat, especially with kids and heat-haters. We were originally planning an early December trip, but are becoming concerned about the kids, ds12, dd10, ds7, dd4 missing school (they would miss 3 days on a 5 night trip). We go back to school after labor day this year, and could take a longer trip (9 nights), for much less money, with the kids only missing a day of school.

The extended length of the trip and cheaper price, as well as the fact that crowds are lower and park hours longer during this time frame, make it seem really appealing. However, the thought of the heat and humidity terrifies me. Any opinions/ advice/ experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It's going to be very hot but it's manageable. We are getting ready to go for our 3rd year in a row in September. The only time that my kids really complained about the heat was sitting and waiting for the 3pm parade at Magic Kingdom. We had an umbrella with us and opened that to keep the direct sun off of them. So I think it's only bad when you are sitting. When we were walking from ride to ride we didn't notice it much. The shows were our breaks!

We did Wdw on September 12 for 9 days(2009). Traveling with my grandfather who was (89 years old) was difficult. However we just took a lot of "swimming" breaks during the day! It was really humid and to be honest we missed our typical December trips. The crowd levels were about the same (maybe a little less in September). We had a great time, but still would choose December over September any day!

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I'm definitely starting to lean toward doing December over September, but will keep all the great suggestions in mind if we choose otherwise! We are not accustomed to extreme heat and, with four kids, I think the odds that someone might not take well to it are enough to make me really nervous.

We visited once at the end of August and never will again! The kids were ok with the heat, but definitely got tired quicker. The adults on the other hand found it brutal. We took lots of breaks, afternoon swims every day, but it was still too much for us. I now choose to pull my kids out of school for cooler times.

We went late September last year - we decided not to visit in Sept again, and we are going back in November instead.

We definitely felt the heat, and all got a bit grumpy and lazy mid-day, and we ended up taking a few extra breaks in theaters and air-conditioned quick service places to cool down and rest. However, the WORST part about September was the rain. We're used to the daily Florida rain, but hadn't counted on the constant rain all afternoon/evening on half of the days we were there, and it really killed our plans. I would not go back during the prime hurricane/rainy season again.

We went late September last year - we decided not to visit in Sept again, and we are going back in November instead.

We definitely felt the heat, and all got a bit grumpy and lazy mid-day, and we ended up taking a few extra breaks in theaters and air-conditioned quick service places to cool down and rest. However, the WORST part about September was the rain. We're used to the daily Florida rain, but hadn't counted on the constant rain all afternoon/evening on half of the days we were there, and it really killed our plans. I would not go back during the prime hurricane/rainy season again.

Ughhh! So not looking forward to rain! Guess we just need to be prepared! We are going in September this year...

Heat doesn't bother my boys too much, but me daughter was feeling it. There are a ton of places with AC though and a few water rides, so that helps. Make sure you bring a small cooler stocked with water.
All in all, just keep a good eye on their mannerisms. If they're starting to wilt in the heat, stop for lunch or check out a show with AC.

We went to Universal in the first week of August. It wasn't awful. It was definitely hot and humid but we live in South Jersey. It gets in the 90's here and can be humid. Im hoping for a cooler summer everywhere since we are going again this August. hahaha. But we would take breaks for lunch and go sit in the air conditioning. We tried to get in the AC as much as we could when waiting for rides. We definitely drank a lot of water. It did rain but it was always close to when we were eating dinner so it didn't bother us any. It was doable..obviously since we are doing it again! Haha. This time in Disney. I remember the first few days were fine but the last day was more unbearable. I don't know if it was due to us kind of being done with the parks .

We went in late August/early September back in 2011 for our honeymoon and it wasn't so bad. Hot and humid yes but not miserable, it also only rained one day in the couple weeks we were there. We're going back again this year with DD (1.5) and will get ready with fan & cold wipes!

We went in September last year. It is HOT! We had those cheap water bottle pumps that you can buy for 99 cents at wal-mart. Each kid just constantly kept themselves wet! We did the parks from rope drop until about 11. Then went back to the parks in the evenings.

We learned this in September:
1. Get out of the heat midday- either pool or at resort is the best place to be in the afternoons
2. Give the kids something to keep themselves wet.
3. Expect rain the evenings- EVERY NIGHT!!!

But with all that being said.....NO LINES! It was easy because we were easily done with headliners in the first 2 hours. I think we rode EE 4-5 times in a row in about 20 minutes. The evening rain will also clear out the parks- you have to be a little flexible with this and have the right attitude. A positive attitude makes it easily doable!

We have also gone in April and that was our one (and only- can no longer take kids out of school) and only September trip. We would do every trip in September if we could!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!