Early December at Castaway Cay

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by JodyTG, Nov 18, 2012.

1. JodyTG

JodyTG It's a well known fact that a woman can never own

Will we really be miserable in the water? Our son really wants to do the water slides.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Three times there in early December it was too cold for me but DH, the kids -- and hundreds of others didn't have a problem with it.

4. Floridagram

Floridagram DIS Veteran

I would say it depends on where you are from. This FL girl would not be in the water! A northerner would probably think it was fine.

5. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

The coldest water temperature ever recorded in the region is 72.

As others have pointed out, people will have differing opinions on if that is cold or warm.

My own experience on Castaway Cay was during a stop in January. Water was 75, but so was the air, so being in the water felt warm, but getting out you felt cool.

6. JodyTG

JodyTG It's a well known fact that a woman can never own

Thank you, everyone. You gave me the info I needed. Now DH and I just need to make a decision and stick to it. I don't see how the western ports could be that much warmer in the ocean, but what do I know.

7. BethC1952

BethC1952 DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkviolet>Has been VER

The water temperature can vary a lot from one week to the next. Last year after Thanksgiving we sailed on Magic one week, and then the day after we returned we sailed on Dream, so two visits to Castaway Cay in less than a week. The first day it was so cold that I sat on the beach in my sweatsuit and couldn't even put my toes in the water, and I'm not wimpy about water temperature. The second visit was probably the best weather we've ever had at Castaway Cay! It was warm and sunny, the water was beautiful!

Beth

8. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

The Caribbean ports are considerably farther south than the Bahamas. Even if the water isn't much warmer, the ports will be warmer.

9. aymekae

aymekae Ayme of the Southern Isles

It was easier for me to get in the water at Castaway Cay and Grand Cayman in mid-December last year than it was for me to get in the water at Aulani a few weeks ago! (Not that a bit of cold stopped me, but just judging the amount of time to acclimate myself.)

10. Vickie2002a

Vickie2002a Earning My Ears

Just got home and went to CC on sat and the water was too cold for me and everyone else we travelled with. That's not to say that there weren't people in the water but I could barely stand in it at ankle depth let alone swim in it an I really wanted to snorkel and go on the slides :/ just have to go again I guess :)

11. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

Going into the water slowly felt a little cool to my liking, but once we got moving it was no problem. I've started to just dive in quick and get the initial shock over with. So as long as you keep moving once your in; you'll probably be fine.

12. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

It depends a lot on the air temperature and the weather in general. On a sunny, 80 degree day the 72 degree water feels great. On an overcast 70 degree day, the same 72 degree water seems cold.

Most of the time, December is fine, but there are those exceptions....if you want hot air, cruise in July. If willing to take a bit of a chance, go with December. We've enjoyed many GREAT winter cruises.

13. loucks96

loucks96 Earning My Ears

And, traveling in

14. loucks96

loucks96 Earning My Ears

And, traveling in the warmer months, you have a chance on not getting CC at all if a tropical storm or hurricane come along. We lost out on our double dip day due to hurricane Hanna in 08....pro and cons for any time of year you choose to travel...