E Bay Selling help...ASAP!

ResortsFrmrCM

Mouseketeer
Hi...I am fairly new to E-Bay and listed an item with a reserve but no Buy Now option. The reserve has been met and I am being flooded with e-mails from buyers who want to make me an offer to close the auction now. If I wanted to take a buyer up on that, how would I end the auction? Are their any drawbacks (other than the obvious of possibly having sold it for more) or rules I should be aware of before considering this?

Thanks for your help!!

Jennifer

I would say that the only drawback is not making more than you could have. Why would you want to end it early? If you're having that many people wanting you to end it early, then it must be a very good item. Basically, as I see it, these people are saying to you, "Please end the auction early so that I won't have to pay you more than I want to."

I wouldn't do it, but you may have your reasons. Just email the people back and politely say that you appreciate the offer, but that your policy is to let the sales run their course.

Oh, if you do want to end it, go to My Ebay, go to All Selling, click on more on the left side for more options, click on End an Auction early.

Lori P.:)

Don't do it! They know you are new and are just trying to get a deal. Let them fight over it in an auction, it should bring you more money.

I would say, if you have more than one request to end the auction early you shouldn't do it. The only reason I can see that many people wanting the auction stopped is because they don't want to be outbid. Good luck!

momm2four said:
I would say that the only drawback is not making more than you could have. Why would you want to end it early? If you're having that many people wanting you to end it early, then it must be a very good item. Basically, as I see it, these people are saying to you, "Please end the auction early so that I won't have to pay you more than I want to."

I wouldn't do it, but you may have your reasons. Just email the people back and politely say that you appreciate the offer, but that your policy is to let the sales run their course.
yeahthat.gif
My FIL ends his auctions early like this and it is something that I just don't understand. :confused3 If you are having this much interest in the item, it is going to go for more money than you are being offered.

Be patient :hourglass and you will be rewarded.

Thanks so much! I think I will take all over your advice and just wait it out and look forward to a nice reward :cool1: I guess I was thinking that my item would not go for as much as it is and I was getting excited by the offers I was e-mailed...that's a newbie for you...its written all over me :)

Thanks again!

Jennifer

I have to add that I find it strange that those who have e-mailed me about ending the auction have not even placed one bid yet. That's makes me feel uneasy about whether they are serious or not. Is that normal or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks!

Many experienced buyers bid toward the end of an auction
so as not to "tip their hand." I was bidding on an item and
it went up $75 in the last 90 seconds!!!

It sounds like you've got something really special. Congratulations and
enjoy your profit!!

pilgrimage said:
Many experienced buyers bid toward the end of an auction
so as not to "tip their hand." I was bidding on an item and
it went up $75 in the last 90 seconds!!!

It sounds like you've got something really special. Congratulations and
enjoy your profit!!

Hmmm...I guess that makes sense. I guess it's just hard to take them seriosuly if they have not even put in a bid yet!

ResortsFrmrCM said:
I have to add that I find it strange that those who have e-mailed me about ending the auction have not even placed one bid yet. That's makes me feel uneasy about whether they are serious or not. Is that normal or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks!

Lots of folks don't like to bid until the last minute.
Some of the folks who asked you to end early may never end up bidding, but you never know who else is out there watching and waiting who WILL bid.

I think you made the right call. I hate it when I'm watching something and it disappears before auction end. I would never end an item early if it had bids on it.

Good Luck - I hope you end up getting more than any of the offers.

Report back when the auction ends -OK?

I think that ending an auction early when there are already bids on it is just not fair. You are not giving the real bidders a chance. Of course, if you have no bids on it, then there is no harm. Just my opinion.

cats mom said:
Lots of folks don't like to bid until the last minute.
Some of the folks who asked you to end early may never end up bidding, but you never know who else is out there watching and waiting who WILL bid.

I think you made the right call. I hate it when I'm watching something and it disappears before auction end. I would never end an item early if it had bids on it.

Good Luck - I hope you end up getting more than any of the offers.

Report back when the auction ends -OK?

I'll be sure to keep you posted on the outcome! I'll scream if my offers ended up being more than the final bid but I guess that's how its done to "play fair". I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Most people don't bid until the end. I don't get this, though. I don't know how it is a strategy because the bidding can either go slowly as the listing progresses or rapidly right at the end. Don't even get me started on how useless sniping software is. It plays into people's ego that they have a "strategy." My auction strategy is simple. I place my bid for what I'm willing to pay for an item. If I win I'm happy. If I get outbid, I move on and find another item like it to bid on.

About three years ago I sold a 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible that I had bought brand new. I didn't run and needed major repairs. I was moving from Virginia to Florida and put it on eBay. Minimum $500, Reserve $1,500 BIN $5,400.10 (Original Sticker). I got emails and called people in six states. It finally sold for $3,150 and the buy came down with a pickup with a trailer for the car.

BTW, when the buyer come to pick it up make sure that it is a weekday in the morning. After the buyer looks at the car take the buyer to your bank. Take whatever is being given to you for payment to a branch officer; have that person find out the correct phone number for the bank on which the check or money order is drawn, and ask them to call the issuing bank to make sure that the check or money order is good. Then deposit it directly before you turn over the title. Do not accept a phone number from the buyer.

Cheshire Figment said:
About three years ago I sold a 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible that I had bought brand new. I didn't run and needed major repairs. I was moving from Virginia to Florida and put it on eBay. Minimum $500, Reserve $1,500 BIN $5,400.10 (Original Sticker). I got emails and called people in six states. It finally sold for $3,150 and the buy came down with a pickup with a trailer for the car.

BTW, when the buyer come to pick it up make sure that it is a weekday in the morning. After the buyer looks at the car take the buyer to your bank. Take whatever is being given to you for payment to a branch officer; have that person find out the correct phone number for the bank on which the check or money order is drawn, and ask them to call the issuing bank to make sure that the check or money order is good. Then deposit it directly before you turn over the title. Do not accept a phone number from the buyer.

What a great tip about the banking....thanks I really do appreciate that :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts