E-Bay...not as described

rockyroad

DIS Veteran
I am an E-Bay novice and need some advice.

I bought some silver spoons. They were described as sterling, but they are only plate.

How do I handle this?

Am I required to pay the shipping back on this item?

Will I be refunded for the shipping and insurance?

These spoons are not worth the shipping.

This is really going to depend on your seller. I would try a nice email first, then go from there. I know that as a seller, I am so much more apt to work it out with someone who doesn't approach it nasty right from the get go.

I have contacted the seller in a nice way.

He has responded in a not so nice way.

At what point would you put in a dispute with Pay Pal or Visa?

He described the spoons as sterling silver when they are only silver plate.
They are not even worth the shipping charges.

You should file "Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described Process" with eBay. If you paid with PayPal you will be linked to PayPal to have them handle it.

Depending on what you paid, Ebay might not do a thing. I recently went through this same thing but the buy did agree to let me return the item but never sent my refund. Things have turned nasty with negative feedback being left for me since I left it for them, etc...

Anyway, I paid 9.99 for item so Ebay would not let me file a dispute. I'm not sure what the amount minimum is. Good luck to you!! I found out the hard way that all is not what it seems on Ebay!!!

I had to file a claim via PayPal and it was actually painless. The seller never sent my items. After I filed, PayPal contacted them and they did send the pckage so I withdew my claim. The seller (Glotux, BTW if you want to see someone with a LOT of negatives and still a high rating) has a lot of negatives where the buyer said PayPal refunded, so I think PP will be able to get your money back.

Do NOT send the items back. File your SNAD (significantly not as described) report in paypal. It will take appx. 30 days for paypal to get back to you. If paypal finds in your favor, they will most likely require you to send the item back at your own expense. While I don't agree that a buyer should be out any money with SNAD, paypal will not budge on this issue. One thing to keep in mind. If paypal finds in your favor, but says they cannot guarantee your refund because the seller has no funds, DO NOT send the item back. Contact your credit card company and take it from there. Good Luck!!

DiscussDisney said:
File your SNAD (significantly not as described) report in paypal. It will take appx. 30 days for paypal to get back to you. If paypal finds in your favor, they will most likely require you to send the item back at your own expense. While I don't agree that a buyer should be out any money with SNAD, paypal will not budge on this issue. One thing to keep in mind. If paypal finds in your favor, but says they cannot guarantee your refund because the seller has no funds, DO NOT send the item back. Contact your credit card company and take it from there. Good Luck!!

Paypal's process seems like a hassle to me. Two or three years ago, I bid and won an item that was not as described. After getting nowhere fast with the snipey Seller, I simply filed a complaint with my charge company and provided them with a copy of the auction and email correspondence between the seller and myself - in which I stated why I didn't want the item as it was vastly different from the description and he stated he'd arrange for the item to be picked up for a full refund. Credit card company found in our favor within 45 days and while the investigation was ongoing we did not have to pay the charge for the item/no interest fees accrued. We did NOT have to send the item back at our expense (probably due to Seller promising to do that but electing not to of his own accord). Perhaps Paypal's policy has changed and they don't allow direct credit card chargeback but I doubt it and if that's so, I would go the credit card route. JMHO.

I cannot recommend this process as it is in violation of paypal policy and can get you kicked off of paypal. Yes, the paypal process is horrible. But it is their process and policy and buyers must abide by it. If you do not get satisfaction from paypal (e.g. paypal sides with the seller), you are then free to do a chargeback with your credit card company without violating paypal policy. I know this process seems long and cumbersome, but it will ensure you do not get blacklisted by paypal. Good luck!!

gothmommie said:
Paypal's process seems like a hassle to me. Two or three years ago, I bid and won an item that was not as described. After getting nowhere fast with the snipey Seller, I simply filed a complaint with my charge company and provided them with a copy of the auction and email correspondence between the seller and myself - in which I stated why I didn't want the item as it was vastly different from the description and he stated he'd arrange for the item to be picked up for a full refund. Credit card company found in our favor within 45 days and while the investigation was ongoing we did not have to pay the charge for the item/no interest fees accrued. We did NOT have to send the item back at our expense (probably due to Seller promising to do that but electing not to of his own accord). Perhaps Paypal's policy has changed and they don't allow direct credit card chargeback but I doubt it and if that's so, I would go the credit card route. JMHO.

DiscussDisney said:
I cannot recommend this process as it is in violation of paypal policy and can get you kicked off of paypal. Yes, the paypal process is horrible. But it is their process and policy and buyers must abide by it. If you do not get satisfaction from paypal (e.g. paypal sides with the seller), you are then free to do a chargeback with your credit card company without violating paypal policy. I know this process seems long and cumbersome, but it will ensure you do not get blacklisted by paypal. Good luck!!

OK, as I thought the process for Paypal purchases must have changed since I put in my claim direct with my credit company 2 - 3 years ago. If you care about Paypal membership, then yes, best to adhere to their policies.... Hope it all works out for you.

I bought an item a year ago that was SNAD -- in fact, it was missing a piece. The buyer was very nasty about it, but finally had to admit that the piece was missing. He offered to refund my purchase price (which was about $10) if I mailed the item back to him (which would've cost about $9). Not a very good deal for me.

I tried to get PayPal to intervene, but they are basically worthless in this regard. They said they'd help if I provided an expert who'd agree that my item was SNAD. Any idiot could see that the piece was not there -- what else did they want?

I lost a great deal of respect for PayPal through that experience.

I won two items from a fairly reputable seller around Christmas. They were never shipped and the selled refused to answer emails. Paypal got involved and the seller simply decided to drop their ebay membership. :( Not vary satisfying for me at all.

I wouldn't send the item back. You probably won't get your money back, so you'd be out your original purchase price, plus return postage, and you'd have nothing. I recently bought a Coach wallet that was listed as genuine Coach with tags, however it came without tags. There was no "Coach" stamp inside. I took it to a Coach store and they said it was a fake. However, the store said it was difficult to tell it was a fake, only with careful inspection could they come to that conslusion. I paid $50 for it, the "real" thing sells for $218. The people at Coach said it looked nice and to keep it, no one could tell the difference. I figure I have a wallet worth $50 for which I paid $50. At least I got something out of the deal! IMO you'd be foolish to send it back, you'd never see your money back.

I agree with not sending the item back. I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals that were listed as a size 8 but when I got them and couldn't get my foot into them I realized by looking at the size stamp that they were a size six. The seller agreed to give me a refund so I spent another $4 to ship them back and never received any money. The seller insists that she sent my refund but that I never picked it up. After numerous attempts to contact this person I finally left negative feedback and now she has left me bad feedback stating that I'm a bad buyer and did not read the description. The description plainly said that these were a size 8!! The whole thing is so upsetting, I care more about the negative feedback than the money. The seller has told me that she will withdraw the feedback she left if I withdraw mine, but I declined and hope that my other feedback speaks for itself.

Sorry about the ramble - I would contact your credit card company and do not send the item back until you receive a credit!

I am very experienced when it comes to Ebay as I have been buying and selling since 1998. Unfortunately when something like this happens it's totally up to the seller. Now you could leave a negative feedback, but only do so if they have left one for you first (negative or positive). The reason I say this is because once it's left that's it.

Usually what I do to prevent this is scrutinize the sellers feedback. You'll find things like "Item received but not like description" etc etc. Those are the people I stay away from unless I can afford to throw that money away. I would say if it's less than $20.00 chaulk it up to lesson learned. If you don't already use paypal, do so in the future. They now offer a money back if not satisfied deal for a small fee. Now that ebay is so popular good deals are rare (people jack the bidding price close to retail), so if it looks too good it usually is.

Hope that helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter