DVC Wilderness Lodge & DVC Boardwalk handicap accessible studio location information?

WDWDVC

Earning My Ears
Hello. I will be using a handicap accessible studio at Villa Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk Villa on my next visits to WDW.

I still feel uncomfortable using a mobility scooter when I can still walk on my own.

But it makes all the difference in the world.

So now I preface my reservations with WDW that I have a signed physician's letter with any other appropriate information and phone numbers that they may require.

Although they never asked for it last time and I doubt that they would anyway.

But I feel that there are others that deserve the handicap accessible studio.

I am always afraid that some child or adult that can only use a wheelchair may be left without because I used the last room or studio.

I mainly need the flat surface, no step, walk in shower in the bathroom and a sofa or a comfortable chair to sit in to put my leg up instead of lying in bed.

I have stayed at a handicap studio at VWL and it was in studio room #3546 located about half way down the long hallway and facing the front side of the villa.

It was high enough for tree view and a partial view of the bus stop and sidewalks. It was very nice.

It had one bed, a sofa, table, two chairs like a regular studio, but the bathroom had a flat surface, no step, walk in shower.

The floor of the bathroom was a flat surface all the way through to the shower and was separated on the floor with a flat strip of metal drains to catch the water. The shower curtain was hanging over the length of the wall to wall drain so that the floor would not get wet. It worked most of the time pretty well.

The kitchen counter and sink was lower for wheelchair height.

The TV cabinet included two builtin, outside, small closet doors to hang clothes along with the TV in the middle and drawers below the TV.

This worked for me, but may be too small for a family.

The special rollin shower must have taken up the floor space for the regular closet that are in the regular studios.

Does anyone know where the other handicap accessible studios are located in VWL and BWV?

Maybe if you stayed in one you could post the studio room number and approximate location and if it had similar lay out as the one that I used.

I have already seen one website that another DISer has of VWL room locations at http://members.aol.com/Instlmpres/wildernesslodge.pdf .

(Correction of link that Spiceycat listed below is this one: http://members.aol.com/instimpres/wildernesslodge.pdf ).

I hope that I typed that correctly. (I guess that I didn't, sorry.)

I can't seem to reach that page now.

I have stayed in a standard view BWV studio before, but this will be the first time in a handicap accessible studio at BWV.

I am also curious about the BWV preferred Boardwalk view handicap accessible studio, too, for possible future stays.

Can anyone else help with any information?

Photos?

Descriptions?

Locations?

Studio room numbers?

Personal experiences?

Thank you, Spiceycat, for both of the links and information.

I guess that there aren't many DVCer's that use scooters or handicap accessible studios at VWL or BWV.

I have seen several posts that use a HC one bedroom or larger, but you are the only one that has used the type of room that I will use.

I guess that eases my mind a little about using one.

Anyone else have any information or reviews?

TIA

this one works for VWL
http://members.aol.com/InstImpres/wildernesslodge.pdf

this one for BWV
http://members.aol.com/InstImpres/boardwalk.pdf

when I travel with mother sometimes we get a handicapped room. our first trip to BWV was in one.

studio - first floor - near the elevators. I am fairly certainly that all the handicapped rooms at BWV are near the elevators. So the views are either preferred - the pools - or standard the drive way. No BW views.

We had an accessible BW view studio in May. We did change to another room b/c my 3 yr old needed a bathtub. The studio we were in was on the first floor but a little bit down the hall from the elevators. It had a solid wall on the balcony, which I thought was unusual since someone using a chair/scooter probably wouldn't be able to see over it. My 56" 7 yr old had to stretch to see it standing up. But the view was nice, overlooking the coffee kiosk on the BW and had a pretty view of the YC/BC and Epcot. I think it was 2049 but I'm not 100%.

Thank you, Stimpy, for your information and taking the time to reply.

I have seen several posts here and there about a family being assigned an accessible studio and not needing one.

And they also asked to be changed to a studio with a bath for their children.

Maybe someone else may read this and reply.

DH and I checked in to WVL in March and got a HA accessible studio. Like yours, it was halfway down the long hallway, on the right hand side. I'm guessing that it was on the 3rd floor. It was fine for our purposes and it was as you described.

For our October trip, we have requested and have a confirmed HA studio for DM. Mother was definitely coming when we booked, she did have a downturn physically and mentally since then, but her coming with us is still a possibility so we are keeping the ressie as is. When I was eating dinner with her earlier this week, I brought the subject up, and she smiled. Boy, I would love to have her come with us again! DSis would be sharing that room. If mother doesn't come we'll of course let the front desk know that we don't need the HA studio, in case it's needed for others, but from our experience as adults only, the HA studio wasn't a "bother."

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. Once someone in our VB party did get a HA OV inn room. It was next to ours so we were close, and so, we did get the "nearby" part of our request.

PPS. Last week during our whole family vacation, I learned just how inconvenient a "no tub" unit would be for our DFamily. The house we rented for our DGC family had the water holding piece disconnected (afraid of water running over?) so the family had to trek over to our house every night for baths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter