DVC website pet peeve

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
I have given up being peeved by the annoying music. Disney won't change this so I have to make my old lady brain remember to turn off sound. My new pet peeve is the lack of a logout button on some pages, e.g. if you do a booking request you need to go back to the search page to logout; or if you do online checkin, there is no way to logout without navigating to somewhere from the links at the bottom of the screen. I am not a programmer, so if someone out there can explain why this inconvenience is unavoidable, I would be happy to quit being a crab about it.

I am not a programmer, so if someone out there can explain why this inconvenience is unavoidable, I would be happy to quit being a crab about it.

My theory is that when you use the booking screen to query a reservation, the "offer" they've displayed to you is actually "held" inventory - if there was only one room, someone else making the same query a minute after you would see "unavailable" until you've decided

1) to select the offer and continue to booking, or
2) to change your query, in which case all the "held" inventory gets released and a new query is composed.

That's why, in my opinion, they want web site users to either book, or release, the inventory they've held in their query. If you simply close your web browser, the inventory hold expires after 15 minutes (or whatever time the site says you have to make up your mind) vs the minute it might take you to decide the query wasn't to your liking. Freeing held inventory quickly allows others to see it sooner.

Remember, if they didn't hold inventory for you when they display a query result, someone else could book the last room out from under your in-process booking request. Such a result would cause disappointment for all of us working to book popular times!

My theory is that when you use the booking screen to query a reservation, the "offer" they've displayed to you is actually "held" inventory - if there was only one room, someone else making the same query a minute after you would see "unavailable" until you've decided

1) to select the offer and continue to booking, or
2) to change your query, in which case all the "held" inventory gets released and a new query is composed.

That's why, in my opinion, they want web site users to either book, or release, the inventory they've held in their query. If you simply close your web browser, the inventory hold expires after 15 minutes (or whatever time the site says you have to make up your mind) vs the minute it might take you to decide the query wasn't to your liking. Freeing held inventory quickly allows others to see it sooner.

Remember, if they didn't hold inventory for you when they display a query result, someone else could book the last room out from under your in-process booking request. Such a result would cause disappointment for all of us working to book popular times!

I understand what you are saying but under the current system I often do just what I shouldn't do--I simply close my browser or go to another webpage because it is quicker than navigating to a logout page. If there were a logout button on every page I would be more likely to logout and then the inventory would be released immediately (if I was on a booking page).

I haven't had any problems with the music since I disabled Flash for my browser. Now I have a choice to restore Flash on my terms with two quick mouse clicks on any page where it is offered. Yeah!

I always listen to the sounds of silence.:rolleyes1 My sound is always turned off. BUT, I hear ya. (no pun intended) I hate that "go back to log out" thing, too. It's very annoying. And if I get interrupted in what I'm doing, and end up walking away...still logged in... :sad2:

Except for the recent Sam Brown webcast thing they had up there, I've clicked the little minus sign for the sound to turn it off and it remembers it.

I always logoff due to issues with trying to go to other Disney affiliated websites while still logged on. Not all Disney websites have issues, but I logoff from every Disney website when I'm finished. It's a pain in the a.., but I deal with it.

Jean - I agree on both accounts. The music is always on for me, and I always forget to mute it.

I wish there were a log out button on the first page - the log in page. My husband has a different log in for ESPN, and he happened to be logged in to that site this morning. The main page says "Welcome Matthew, please register . . ." He IS registered, but not using the ESPN log in. The frustration is that I can't log him out on that page - I have to go somewhere else like ESPN to log out and then come back. A minor inconvenience, but frustrating nonetheless.

Jean - I agree on both accounts. The music is always on for me, and I always forget to mute it.

I wish there were a log out button on the first page - the log in page. My husband has a different log in for ESPN, and he happened to be logged in to that site this morning. The main page says "Welcome Matthew, please register . . ." He IS registered, but not using the ESPN log in. The frustration is that I can't log him out on that page - I have to go somewhere else like ESPN to log out and then come back. A minor inconvenience, but frustrating nonetheless.
That happens to me all the time. I had no idea that all the logins could be the same so, I have different one for the disney store and disney cruise line and then, a different one for DVC. I guess, I could just use the DVC one for all of them but I always forget. It would have been nice when I signed up they told me that I already had a login. Then, I wouldn't have created extra ones. Plus, I was working on my MIL cruise reservation with her logon and then, I went over to DVC and it ask me to register since I forgot to logout. What a mess... But I agree I don't understand that login and logout procedures.

The log-out thing is annoying, though with the explanation That someone just gave i can live with that a little better now:thumbsup2. I get annoyed because I constantly get a "session error" message when trying to book online with my Mac.:sad1:. If I get up and go to the pc, it logs in fine, so I think it's something to do with cache or cookies maybe but I'm not sure:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter