DVC Travel Insurance - worth it?

NavFam5

Earning My Ears
Has many members purchased travel insurance through DVC? How is it compared to other insurances? Is it a good deal? We are staying at OKW and then Disney Cruise (using points for stay and cruise) during hurricane season and have never purchased insurance before. With weather a possible factor, will need insurance. I just need advice if DVC is a good choice. Thanks for any input!

The DVC insurance is based on use year, so if you have any borrowed or banked points, you'll have to pay for those years, too. I'm not aware of any other insurance that would cover points. And it only reimburses the dues, and only if you lose the points. I'm not even sure how (or if) it covers points used for a cruise.

Regardless, insurance always has a negative expected return. Only you can decide if the cost is worth the risk.

The DVC insurance is based on use year, so if you have any borrowed or banked points, you'll have to pay for those years, too. I'm not aware of any other insurance that would cover points. And it only reimburses the dues, and only if you lose the points. I'm not even sure how (or if) it covers points used for a cruise.

Regardless, insurance always has a negative expected return. Only you can decide if the cost is worth the risk.
Insurance through DVC is based on "Use Year" and not per person or trip?

Insurance through DVC is based on "Use Year" and not per person or trip?

You only have to pay for each use year once. So if you bank 30 points from last year and paid for insurance last year, then it covers those 30 points of your trip. You can't cover part of a trip, so yes, you would have to pay for both use years to get your trip covered.
My insurance company does not cover time share trips, I think that is pretty normal, so the DVC insurance is the way to go if you want it. It does cover more than the dues, it will cover, medical emergencies and other trip related costs as well.

We only did the DVC insurance for our cruise in November. But we paid cash for that, not points, as it was one of their special offers for DVC members. There are a lot of "howevers" with the insurance. There are a lot of things it does not cover. I think it is good to have if someone has a health issue that could result in not taking the trip....things like that. A flight delay that results in you missing the boat....that is when things get a little "gray". You really need to question them about things like that.

Travel insurance usually, and I believe DVC's is similar, offers a package of benefits (such as those shown below). Disney does not offer rental car damage coverage which some other plans offer. If traveling outside of the U.S. the medical benefits and medical evacuation/repatriation benefits could be worthwhile all by themselves.

Trip Cancellation
Upgrades/Frequent Travel Awards
Trip Interruption
Upgrades/Frequent Travel Awards
Trip Delay
Missed Cruise Connection Baggage/Personal Effects
Baggage Delay
Recreational Equipment Delay
Emergency Medical Expenses
Medical Evacuation/Repatriation
Security Deposit Protection
Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Travel Assistance

Limits do apply by category, such as: Up to $10,000 per plan term $5,000 sublimit/$200 sublimit Up to $10,000 per plan term $5,000 sublimit/$200 sublimit $1,000 $1,000 $2,000 $500 $1,000 $25,000 $250,000 $2,000 $25,000 Included

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter