DVC Rental - Nervous!

NHKristy76

Senior Mousketeer
I'm seriously considering renting points from someone here on the DIS for my upcoming trip.

Can anyone share their experience with doing this? I'm excited about the price break vs directly thru Disney but I'm so nervous that I'll get to WDW and not have a room.

Help!

We have rented DVC points at least 5-6 times in the past few years. Except for a last minute Spring Break trip where we went with David's, we have always rented through a private owner here on the DIS. Although at first it was nerve wracking, we have never had a problem! Just be sure you are aware of the terms, choose a DIS member that has been here for a while and has a higher post count, and get a signed contract. Of course, there is always a very small chance you could still be taken advantage of, but that is very, very rare.

To me, the end doesn't justify the means.... I can't take that chance...sorry, but in this day and age... I trust no one single person ... I'd go with David's, might pay a little more but an established broker, if there's a problem, I'd rather deal with him..

Disney is not cheap in any way and finding a discount is number one priority... Thru codes, AAA, or renting points ..... But if we go the point rental, we'll stick with a company dealing with brokering of points... Others do it just fine, but for my cash,.... I'm too much of a skeptic...

I remember the first time we rented points. It was from a guy in New Zealand who I found on the rent/trade board. I was scared to death!!! :scared1: I called the DVC # at least 10 times leading up to the vacation and gave them the confirmation number and my name to verify we actually had a reservation and our names were on it. :lmao: I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was very nervous. So I can understand completely. Things turned out fine, we ended up renting from him several more times over the years, and we never had any issues. I think it's risky for the owners as well, they are responsible if you come in there and trash the room or steal something, so I believe the majority of people out there renting are OK. I'm not saying it's impossible to be scammed, I'm sure it is, but if you follow rental guidelines, get your confirmation # and confirm it, you should be OK. If you are really nervous it might be best to go with a company like Dave's point rental. I've used them too and never had a problem. In fact one time we needed to cancel with them because of a family issue and they didn't even charge me a fee. Luckily we have family members now who are owners so when we need to rent we can rent from them. It's really a personal decision about what you feel comfortable with. Good luck to you! :goodvibes

David is great - not sure if he can get either BLT or BCV during busy times - generally the members themselves can rent them for more than he charges.

just depends upon where and when you want to go - OKW or SSR and even AKV go thru David definitely.

Maybe someone that understands the system better than I do can explain something to me:

Isn't there still some risk renting through David's? Since the agreement is between the renter and the owner, isn't the broker technically off the hook if one party stiffs another?

I've always wondered what would happen if an owner cancelled a renter's reservation for some reason (like if they ran into financial trouble) that was set up through a broker. David's has a great reputation to maintain, and they may offer to find the renter last-minute accommodations, but it seems like they would be doing so out of the kindness of their hearts, not because they're legally obligated to do so.

I still see value in using a broker, but I'm not sure that David's is able to determine the reliability of an owner any better than an individual can.

What am I missing?

Maybe someone that understands the system better than I do can explain something to me:

Isn't there still some risk renting through David's? Since the agreement is between the renter and the owner, isn't the broker technically off the hook if one party stiffs another?

I've always wondered what would happen if an owner cancelled a renter's reservation for some reason (like if they ran into financial trouble) that was set up through a broker. David's has a great reputation to maintain, and they may offer to find the renter last-minute accommodations, but it seems like they would be doing so out of the kindness of their hearts, not because they're legally obligated to do so.

I still see value in using a broker, but I'm not sure that David's is able to determine the reliability of an owner any better than an individual can.

What am I missing?

David just acts as a broker between the member and the non-member. If something happened that the reservation got cancelled - the member failed to pay dues and DVC foreclosed, I'm not sure what he could do other than refund the money paid. He's not making the reservation, the member who asked him to find someone to rent the points will be making the reservation. And they can only get what is available.

When someone wants to book 11 months out, he needs an owner with enough points to make a home resort reservation. Sometimes he doesn't have anyone, so he can't help you there. All a non-member can do is either find somone who has enough points at that resort to make their reservation or wait for David to get someone who has the points. Or wait until 7 months out and see if what you want is still available.

But with David's service, even the owner doesn't get all their money until after the guest checks in to the resort. They get half up front and the rest upon check in. So they could still scam someone for half the money.

David just acts as a broker between the member and the non-member. If something happened that the reservation got cancelled - the member failed to pay dues and DVC foreclosed, I'm not sure what he could do other than refund the money paid. He's not making the reservation, the member who asked him to find someone to rent the points will be making the reservation. And they can only get what is available.

When someone wants to book 11 months out, he needs an owner with enough points to make a home resort reservation. Sometimes he doesn't have anyone, so he can't help you there. All a non-member can do is either find somone who has enough points at that resort to make their reservation or wait for David to get someone who has the points. Or wait until 7 months out and see if what you want is still available.

But with David's service, even the owner doesn't get all their money until after the guest checks in to the resort. They get half up front and the rest upon check in. So they could still scam someone for half the money.

Thanks for the reply. I think some (not necessarily previous posters in this thread) have a false sense of absolute security when using David's. My experience with them has been wonderful, but I understand that they aren't in a position to guarantee that you have a reservation when you arrive.

Seems like things don't go sour very often, or else the online community would read about it.

I think some (not necessarily previous posters in this thread) have a false sense of absolute security when using David's. My experience with them has been wonderful, but I understand that they aren't in a position to guarantee that you have a reservation when you arrive.

my limited understanding is that david holds back at least some of the rental money till arrival, so while there is always a risk that you would be out your reservation, you wouldn't be risking being scammed out of your money...

my limited understanding is that david holds back at least some of the rental money till arrival, so while there is always a risk that you would be out your reservation, you wouldn't be risking being scammed out of your money...

Yes, that's my understanding, too. (At least you wouldn't be scammed out of all of your money.)

I'd bet that all DVC owners mean well when they set up a rental agreement, but a lot can happen in 11 months that would prevent them from holding up their end of the bargain: nasty divorce, job loss, financial problems, etc.

It's worth the risk to me, but it is a risk.

Thanks for the reply. I think some (not necessarily previous posters in this thread) have a false sense of absolute security when using David's. My experience with them has been wonderful, but I understand that they aren't in a position to guarantee that you have a reservation when you arrive.

Seems like things don't go sour very often, or else the online community would read about it.

I always print out everything and bring it with me as proof. Rental agreements, payments made, confirmation #'s, names, phone numbers, etc, etc. After 15 years of traveling to WDW and dealing with resort management at 22 of the 28 resorts, I'd be willing to put my entire reputation on the line that Disney isn't going to put a family out on the street due to some sort of rental scam from David's. I recommend using a Visa or Mastercard to pay, that way if you ever get scammed you can call the credit card company to report fraud. Most times they will immediately make the funds available to you while the case is being investigated. Then at least you could book a hotel somewhere else. Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago... I bought some park tickets on eBay that turned out to be used. (talk about a nightmare and a big lesson learned) I called Visa, they credited me back the $900 and I purchased tickets at the gate.

And you are exactly right, if David's ever had an issue with an owner trying to scam a renter I'm 100% sure you'd read about it online.

Now back to packing!!!! ;) WDW tomorrow! :cool1:

To me, the end doesn't justify the means.... I can't take that chance...sorry, but in this day and age... I trust no one single person ... I'd go with David's, might pay a little more but an established broker, if there's a problem, I'd rather deal with him..

Disney is not cheap in any way and finding a discount is number one priority... Thru codes, AAA, or renting points ..... But if we go the point rental, we'll stick with a company dealing with brokering of points... Others do it just fine, but for my cash,.... I'm too much of a skeptic...

I agree with this post.

We prefer the DVC Rental Store.... Paul does not charge a fee to check for availability and has the best customer service I've ever encountered. While David is certainly highly reputable, my experience is that he will only do the bare minimum, while Paul goes the extra mile. The best example I can give is that we ask for some medical requests - David told me to make a reservation directly through Disney while Paul offered to find an owner who would take care of whatever arrangements needed to be made. :goodvibes

We have rented several times - through private owners as well, but if I do not personally know the owner it feels much safer to go through a service.:thumbsup2

I always print out everything and bring it with me as proof. Rental agreements, payments made, confirmation #'s, names, phone numbers, etc, etc. After 15 years of traveling to WDW and dealing with resort management at 22 of the 28 resorts, I'd be willing to put my entire reputation on the line that Disney isn't going to put a family out on the street due to some sort of rental scam from David's....
Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago... I bought some park tickets on eBay that turned out to be used. (talk about a nightmare and a big lesson learned) I called Visa, they credited me back the $900 and I purchased tickets at the gate.

Not sure what Disney could do about a contract between a DVC owner and a DVC renter or what good all of the information in regards to that contract would do if the owner had not fulfilled their part of the bargain as Disney was not a party to it. As w/ the scammed tickets, Disney didn't replace them, but was willing to sell the poster a good set, I expect the front desk would assist in locating other accomodations for the renting family if they had sufficient funds to pay for them.
It's a risk I have not been willing to take - but I fly cross country, so I can't just hop in my car and drive home if the owner doesn't fulfill their end of the bargain.

sndral said:
Not sure what Disney could do about a contract between a DVC owner and a DVC renter or what good all of the information in regards to that contract would do if the owner had not fulfilled their part of the bargain as Disney was not a party to it. As w/ the scammed tickets, Disney didn't replace them, but was willing to sell the poster a good set, I expect the front desk would assist in locating other accomodations for the renting family if they had sufficient funds to pay for them.
It's a risk I have not been willing to take - but I fly cross country, so I can't just hop in my car and drive home if the owner doesn't fulfill their end of the bargain.

I agree, all that documentation means nothing to Disney.... That's all between you and the point renter.... Disney is under no obligation to honor or intercede if the point renter reneges or problem arise .... That's the reason I prefer an agency....betting my whole vacation, chunk of money on an invisible person is not how I want to chance things... Same for tickets, EBay especially, used tickets and FP's.... Again, what's the risk, and what are you really saving if it turns to be bogus and a sham.... I'll do my transactions with Disney or an official broker!!

I totally understand what you're saying. I live about a thousand miles from WDW so I definitely can't hop in my car and go home. Different choices work for different people. Some of us really enjoy renting points and have very positive experiences, others don't want to try it and that's fine too. :thumbsup2

I always print out everything and bring it with me as proof. Rental agreements, payments made, confirmation #'s, names, phone numbers, etc, etc. After 15 years of traveling to WDW and dealing with resort management at 22 of the 28 resorts, I'd be willing to put my entire reputation on the line that Disney isn't going to put a family out on the street due to some sort of rental scam from David's. I recommend using a Visa or Mastercard to pay, that way if you ever get scammed you can call the credit card company to report fraud. Most times they will immediately make the funds available to you while the case is being investigated. Then at least you could book a hotel somewhere else. Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago... I bought some park tickets on eBay that turned out to be used. (talk about a nightmare and a big lesson learned) I called Visa, they credited me back the $900 and I purchased tickets at the gate.

And you are exactly right, if David's ever had an issue with an owner trying to scam a renter I'm 100% sure you'd read about it online.

Now back to packing!!!! ;) WDW tomorrow! :cool1:

When you book a vacation with a DVC member, Disney isn't involved in any way. You don't have a reservation with Disney, so they don't owe you anything at all. If you got there and there wasn't a reservations, you'd need to book something on your own (pay rack rate unless you called in or logged into the website and found something).

David doesn't own the points that he advertises for rent. They belong to other members. He's just a middleman. So he can't do anything at all. Except refund the half payment he had not turned over to the member yet. So if you wind up on the street, he can't do a thing about it.

pepe of ohio said:
I agree, all that documentation means nothing to Disney.... That's all between you and the point renter.... Disney is under no obligation to honor or intercede if the point renter reneges or problem arise .... That's the reason I prefer an agency....betting my whole vacation, chunk of money on an invisible person is not how I want to chance things... Same for tickets, EBay especially, used tickets and FP's.... Again, what's the risk, and what are you really saving if it turns to be bogus and a sham.... I'll do my transactions with Disney or an official broker!!

David and Paul are not official brokers. Only Disney is an official broker for DVC stays. The only one. It''s just a business for David and Paul. DVC isn't really all that thrilled about brokers.

There will always be risk associated when making a booking/rental/transfer with anyone other than directly thru Disney....

I guess you just have to way up the risk of dealing with strangers over the internet (even brokers) with the amount of savings you could make.

I am a new DVC owner :love: and I was also thinking about all the risks associated with renting out or transferring my extra points. There is a great deal of trust needed on both ends!!!

I live in Australia and will not be flying to the USA every year so i have been researching what i can do with excess points (other than banking them) - however I am completely new here so of course it would be reasonable for anyone to be nervous dealing with me!! :worried:

As someone said earlier, you just have to go with what u are comfortable with... :)

I used stayatWDW and feel very comfortable. I LOVE the fact they are local. They also allow a cancellation for a 50% penalty as no other broker will do that. They also take care of their clients and we all receive a gift card for Disney when we book. I highly recommend them.

We rented points last year privately through someone on here for the first time. Yes, it was nerve wracking as you always run that risk of getting scammed, but all ended up perfectly fine and wonderful :goodvibes

I had numerous phone conversations and emails with her while planning our trip; she was extremely helpful in helping us plan our ADRs and other things to do; I documented and printed out everything and we even shared our vacation photos. I just had that gut feeling that all was fine and thankfully was right :)

It was a fantastic experience for us and I plan on renting points from her again (provided they're available, lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter