DVC Member offer received in today's snail mail

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by wishicouldgomoreofte, Mar 29, 2013.

1. wishicouldgomoreofte

wishicouldgomoreofte Mouseketeer

Save $500 or more when you Add On at least 100 vacation points at AKV or Aulani. Plus, choose either 4 5-Day WDW Park Hoppers or 2 Disneyland Premium AP. Offer requires current members to Add On 100 or more at those 2 resorts.
    Does not state what the current per point price is.
    Has anyone more details on this?
    Are the 5-Day Park Hoppers passes with no start date requirements or caveats? (Can I wait until 2020 to use them?)
    What do you all think of this offer?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I think that the offer is designed to get you to buy. You need to compare the deal to resale and see which is the better price.

:earsboy: Bill

4. mousefan1972

mousefan1972 DIS Veteran

Got the same card in the mail today. Promptly tossed it in the recycle bin. ;)

5. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

Are you already an owner? Have you looked into resale?

I think the offer isn't very good. You can get PH for 40% off if you sign up for the F&W 5K this year (and in previous years).

6. Homemom

Homemom DIS Veteran

Same here!

7. lovin'fl

lovin'fl DIS Veteran

Me too! With AKV being, what, $145 per point through Disney...with this offer that's $5/point off of 100 points...so $140/point plus the park tickets...BOOOOO! I just bought an AKV 100 point contract via resale at $66/point.

8. AppleDisneyDad

AppleDisneyDad Quietly Lurking DVC Gold

Why does this card mention a tour? Is this another opportunity to get the instant fast pass cards?

9. bakerworld

bakerworld DIS Veteran

don't understand the ticket deal - discount amount ??

10. mdsd8700

mdsd8700 It's kind of fun to do the impossible

LOL! Same here

11. maburke

maburke DIS Veteran

Sorry to go off on this tangent, but WHAT?? Where do I find out about THAT??!!!:cool1:

12. Breyean

Breyean DVC Since '93

When I did the W&D 1/2 last year, they had a ticket offer from the event. I don't recall the prices, but they were very good, and you could pick from various lengths of days. I think I got the offer in an email after I registered for the race. It says it's for runners and their friends, so that's anyone who finds out about the offer, I guess.

There was some limitation on the range of dates the tickets were good for.

I looked at the site for this year's race but didn't see the offer. Maybe over on the WISH Events thread people might be discussing it and how to get the ticket offer.

13. XGrumpy1

XGrumpy1 DIS Veteran

I got the offer. I will not be taking advantage of it.

14. punkin

punkin <font color=purple>Went through pain just to look

I got a similar offer for non-owners and I promptly tossed it as well. I have been toying with DVC purchase for years (still not ready) and retail is much more attractive IMO.

15. JAG107

JAG107 Mouseketeer

Yeah this kind of offer is insulting given the recent price hike. They would maybe have sold this offer better by just saying "Get 10% off" instead of some free park tickets and a small cash incentive. Either way, my next purchase will be most definitely a resale contract.

16. FlipHipster

FlipHipster Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

Its on dvcnews as well for new and current owners:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Still doesn't make $145/pt all that attractive vs. resale, but I bet they get some takers.

Looking at the DVC sales charts they are selling way more points and contracts at AKV than other resorts so why the promo?:confused3

Just curious what might be driving it.

17. ELMC

ELMC DIS Veteran

Oh they'll get a ton of takers. The majority of DVC buyers are people on vacation who buy with very little (or no) research, knowledge of these forums or the resale market.

It's a typical timeshare sales tactic to offer an incentive that coincides with a price hike. It takes the sting out of missing the previous price and builds in a call to action because that incentive has an expiration date.

18. FlipHipster

FlipHipster Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

Ah right the price hike, I kind of disconnected myself from that.

To be fair, I am sure the resale market is fed in large part by these "emotional" purchases and being one who is interested in the resale market I say "SELL IT BABY!!" :yay: