DVC for locals?

suorkaterina

Belle's Librarian
I'm just starting my DVC research and I have a question. Does it make sense for a central Florida local to buy into DVC? We'd be spending most of our vacations outside of WDW. I see they have lots of resorts all over the world as well as DL, ABD and cruises. But we'd still have to have a "home" at WDW which we still would probably use for weekend getaways. I guess my question is, what is special about your home resort? Is it less points to stay at your home resort? I realize Vero Beach and HHI can also be your home but honestly we'd probably be more likely to stay at BLT even though we live here.

Thanks for the help.

keep in mind there are restrictions with resales so buying resale you can trade using rci and club cordial, but not for disney collection, disney cruise line or abd. there is a dvc points chart up on the board that you should refer to. your home resort does not mean the points are less. each resort has points charts for different size villas for different times of the year. your home resort allows you to have the 11 month booking advantage. you will have 7 months at the other resorts.

We'd be spending most of our vacations outside of WDW.
The better question, along this specific line of thinking, "Do you intend to spend most of your DVC vacations at DVC resorts ... or outside DVC resorts?"

Be very specific on the understanding of DVC resorts and their locations:
* Several properties at WDW
* 1 at Vero Beach, FL
* 1 at Hilton Head Island, SC
* 1 at Disneyland, CA
* 1 on Oahu, HI

If you are intending to use your points at one of the DVC locations -- this might work. If your goals are ABD, DCL, RCI and other collections -- the results may not be as promising.

EDITED TO ADD:
I use lots of timeshare "local" to me. Overall we burn about 60 nights each year in timeshare with more than half that being w/in a 90-minute drive from our home. We almost always stay a night or two when visiting Disneyland (just outside 90-minute drive given traffic). Short getaways are marvelous if you enjoy the destination enough to stay a day or two each time.

I did notice that ABD points were out of this world. 500+ points per person. That seems crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter