DVC deposits into Interval International!

Dean

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
The last few days I've been seeing all type of studio and 1 BR deposits on line at II including BCV, BWV, VWL and OKW. I've also seen a few VB untis. The timing of these units went from mid May to mid Sept but many were in the mid summer including 4th of July. Searching for the same time and area with my different weeks tell me that the trade power is different with OKW, VWL and VB being the highest, BWV in between and BCV the lowest. I'm sure this is a reflection of the number of units deposited but it still concerns me.

Putting this together with the recent changes in the exchange system would suggest to me that DVC is filling the exchanges by depositing higher demand weeks and resorts than in the past but smaller units. It also suggests to me that DVC is depositing weeks they can't rent out which will reduce the trade power for those that want to exchange. This means more exchangers and likely lower values for contracts in the long run, at least if it continues for a few years.

Maybe I don't understand the fine points of your arguement. Couldn't it be that more DVC members are using II options and, therefore, DVC has more weeks to deposit into II? Is it the quantity that is different or is it the variety of resorts with weeks deposited that is different?

Larry

Originally posted by larry_poppins
Maybe I don't understand the fine points of your arguement. Couldn't it be that more DVC members are using II options and, therefore, DVC has more weeks to deposit into II? Is it the quantity that is different or is it the variety of resorts with weeks deposited that is different?

Larry
Larry, II assigns a trade power to each deposit based on many factors. One of those factors is the number of deposits available. It appears that the deposits have at least temporarily decreased the trade power. The fact that there are a LOT of deposits at all the best resorts during Magic season means something is going on. With holiday and summer deposits it means that those units will not be made available to members. In the past DVC has always worked around when members would likely need the reservations and would never have deposited a major holiday week. Also since 1998 DVC has deposited the cheapest points option that would fit the bill, that was usually HH or OKW.

The other issue is that it appears DVD is depositing developer units, if this is true, it means there has been a change in philosophy. It likely means that DVD is renting the weeks/units to or through II.

This could be an advantage to someone like myself as I could likely pick up the resorts I want through II for much cheaper than I could use my points. Getting a week and just using the weekend might be reasonable. It also means that II members will get the exchanges then rent them to others. It concerns me but some of the members here might benefit by using II to trade back in to DVC.

DVC wouldn't do the deposits until the exchange had been confirmed. I doubt enough people have taken advantage AND been confirmed to cause this activity but have no way of knowing for certain.

It appears that the time/weeks being deposited by DVC are for arrival dates less than 7 months ahead of arrival. If that is really so, it doesn't bother me as much as it might otherwise. DVC members have had a fair chance at reserving that time. Looks to me as though those who make relatively short notice summer reservations are the ones that may miss out.

Dean - Thanks for posting this information. As Mr. Spock might say, he "ins and outs" of exchanges are "fascinating". I'm grateful for the time you spend keeping an eye on these things and for your informative posts.

Dean, does this mean DVC is depositing more than the percentage of ownership in each resort that they retain?

I am not very savvy as to how this works but I would prefer that DVC deposit points from the member's home resort rather than taking points primarily from OKW and/or HHI. If BWV members are trading out, then let's use their points and let that resort bear the burden, same with all the other resorts. I wouldn't like to see a situation where it became too lopsided at one resort. I could then see DVC trading other resorts to balance things out.

I am not quite sure I understand this post but I am going to add my comment.
Could the increase in the II deposits have anything to do with thousands of members on the members cruise attending the member update on board and just learing about the change in the exchange process? I have been a member since 1993 and I was never interested in exchanging until I attended this informatinve session.
Lauretta

Originally posted by minimahaki
I am not quite sure I understand this post but I am going to add my comment.
Could the increase in the II deposits have anything to do with thousands of members on the members cruise attending the member update on board and just learing about the change in the exchange process? I have been a member since 1993 and I was never interested in exchanging until I attended this informatinve session.
Lauretta
No, for it to be from members it'd would have to be completed exchanges. Not enough time to have have that many completed exchanges after the member cruise.

Disney does not use the home resort to deposit points. I made a deposit last year - I own at OKW and they deposited VB points. They looked for resorts with lower number of points, such as OKW or VB, so those are the resorts that carried the burden. Glad to see the new point chart for trades. The amount of points we had to deposit in the past was excessive. Hopefully, with this new point chart, it will not place a burden on any resort. Don't you think the increase in exchanges has to do with the new blue book chart?

Originally posted by cher8754
Disney does not use the home resort to deposit points. I made a deposit last year - I own at OKW and they deposited VB points. They looked for resorts with lower number of points, such as OKW or VB, so those are the resorts that carried the burden. Glad to see the new point chart for trades. The amount of points we had to deposit in the past was excessive. Hopefully, with this new point chart, it will not place a burden on any resort. Don't you think the increase in exchanges has to do with the new blue book chart?
Overall the points are actually higher now than before. I wonder if all that was available to use with your points was VB as they usually would deposit the cheapest option.

All of the members on the cruise were given an invitation to attend one of the "Member Updates".

The focus was entirely on Interval International. (Add-On Workshops were also held, but they were completely separate from the II talks.)

The presentation lasted an hour, and it was very informative. They had videos and slides detailing the program and highlighting some of the more popular destinations.

I have to concur with Minimahaki. Now that II has become much simpler to understand, I wouldn't be surprised if members are starting to book through them.

Coupled with the mailing, what we're seeing could be the result of the recent II campaign.

Dean,

I'm very confused with your response, because I've deposited into II three times, and I've always had to deposit higher points than the new chart. I was never given any other option, nor was I told there were any, as to time of year or size of unit in depositing points.

Originally posted by cher8754
Dean,

I'm very confused with your response, because I've deposited into II three times, and I've always had to deposit higher points than the new chart. I was never given any other option, nor was I told there were any, as to time of year or size of unit in depositing points.
Under the old system you could expect a studio to cost around 55, 80, 98 or 109 points. The new costs would be 106, 123 and 134 points. A 1 BR would have been 104, 160, 198 or 218 and now will be 124, 144 or 160. A 2 Br was around 133, 218, 263 or 296 and now is 207, 252 or 270. The reality is that DVC has been using the lower amounts for a while for the 1 BR units. So the end result was that the studio went up a significant amount, the 2 BR went up modestly and the 1 BR stayed the same or went down somewhat.

If you deposited VB, they must have used points that were going to expire and this was all that was available.

I just picked up a 1 BR BWV for 7 Sept for the full week through II. I got this using a bonus certificate. Total price $249 plus the $95 exchange fee. I'll likely only use it for the weekend, still a good deal at that.

Just wondering if some of the II deposits could be from Magical beginnings points?

Originally posted by Dean
I just picked up a 1 BR BWV for 7 Sept for the full week through II. I got this using a bonus certificate. Total price $249 plus the $95 exchange fee. I'll likely only use it for the weekend, still a good deal at that.

??
You paid $249, plus $95 exchange fee, plus relinquishing a bonus certificate? Was the $95 actually the fee that Disney charges, and not the exchange fee? And was the $249 the exchange fee? I thought the standard exchange fee was $121, as that is all I have ever paid through II.

Originally posted by FredS
??
You paid $249, plus $95 exchange fee, plus relinquishing a bonus certificate? Was the $95 actually the fee that Disney charges, and not the exchange fee? And was the $249 the exchange fee? I thought the standard exchange fee was $121, as that is all I have ever paid through II.
Bonus weeks have their own fee structure. I think the regular II exchange fee is currently $124 for domestics. This bonus certificate had the fees of $199 for a studio, $249 for a 1 BR and $299 for a 2 BR. DVC then charges all exchangers and extra $95 fee for "resort services". This really angers many regular II members and I can see their point. It's basically DVC saying we're better than everybody else. It may be true, LOL, but people don't want to be told that.

I went back to double check. I used a bonus certificate and was charged the regular ($121) exchange fee for a studio, plus Disney's $95 service charge. I felt sure you didn't mean that the $95 was the actual exchange fee, but was Disney's charge. However, this was the first I have heard of an exchange fee being other than $121.

Go figure. :confused:

Am I the only one who is confused by this whole thread?

Dean, could you please go over your transaction one more time? You traded one of your timeshare weeks (from where?) for a week at BWV in Sept and you had to paY $249 plus cash in a bonus cert and pay a transaction fee of $95? Why do I not see that as a good deal? What am I missing?

When you start adding it all up, it sometimes gets a little close to the point of diminishing return! My bonus certificate was complimentary. Getting a week in June in a studio at the Beach Club Villas for the $121 exchange fee plus $95 Disney service fee was a good deal. However, if I had to give up a week at that home resort in addition to both of these charges I would not have been willing to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter