DVC AP Discount?

jdkdorn

Disneyholic and SSR/BCV DVC Member
With the new Gold AP they are currently showing no discount and the price increased $10. We will have to see if they change it or if that is the final post. The new DVC pass has bkakout dates. I currently have one can they force mine to have blackout dates?

I guess we think hard about our Disney trips going forward. Tickets are becoming unaffordable.

Judy

Well it looks like this new gold pass is the previous seasonal pass, plus added parking and photopass, for a higher price. This type of pass previously was not offered to DVC, only Florida residents. If you currently have a discounted regular annual, that would be the equivalent to the platinum. And then platinum plus is the old premium with added photopass.

If you are a DVC member, and don't go Christmas/New Year's week or Easter week, the GOLD works. If however you go those times, you will need the Platinum -- which is significantly more expensive -- but has a DVC discount. To me, the discount almost matches the increase -- so you gain very little. In essence, it about $100 EXTRA to be able to go those weeks. Unfortunately, we have planned to go Christmas/New Year's week this year -- but it will most likely be our last time.

So I was just on the phone with them about this. I got my AP at the end of July for my trip this month. We do get a discount on the Gold pass (and it only for DVC and Florida Residents) The cost is $549 and some change. The cost went up $20 from before, but it includes all of your Photo Pass photos as a download, saving you money in the end. If you would like to upgrade it will just be the difference in the prices.

The cost went up $20 from before, but it includes all of your Photo Pass photos as a download, saving you money in the end.

Except I would imagine that people who pay for Photo Pass are a pretty small number. No data to prove it, but just my guess.

I like the option of the photpass because we buy the memory maker every time. So not to have to pay $169 each trip will be nice.. I like the idea of no blackout dates but the days on the gold that are blacked out are not times we go anyways so when we renew I will have to really look at the prices more.

Except I would imagine that people who pay for Photo Pass are a pretty small number. No data to prove it, but just my guess.

We always get the memory maker/photo pass/photo pass plus - whatever it's name has been, we have gotten it. The problem is that we only get 1 for the family, not one of each of us: now with the new passes, we "pay" for memory makers for everyone with the price difference vs just buying one. Oh well. It is what it is.

So I was just on the phone with them about this. I got my AP at the end of July for my trip this month. We do get a discount on the Gold pass (and it only for DVC and Florida Residents) The cost is $549 and some change. The cost went up $20 from before, but it includes all of your Photo Pass photos as a download, saving you money in the end. If you would like to upgrade it will just be the difference in the prices.
If you bought your pass in July wouldn't it now qualify as a plantinum pass since you bought it before October 4?

If you bought your pass in July wouldn't it now qualify as a plantinum pass since you bought it before October 4?

I hope so, we purchased an AP vouchers in September and I expect them to be the Platinum APs when we activate them in November.

I think what is unclear is an activated AP vs an AP voucher: anything activated prior to October 4th should function as a platinum pass. What is unclear is an AP voucher bought prior to Oct 4th: when someone goes to activate it, does it get activated as a platinum, a gold, or the now defunct "old" AP?

This is what I want to know: we have 2 DVC AP vouchers purchased previously and a separately purchased memory maker.

Someone posted on another thread that WDW could force you to "upgrade" to the Gold AP when activating an "old" DVC voucher.

I'd call member services but I doubt they would know the answer: phone CMs seem to be the last to get this info. If I'm going to have to upgrade to a "new" AP, then I want my memory maker refunded.

Edited to add: just tried to call member services and was told my wait time would be over 30 minutes.

Last edited:
We always get the memory maker/photo pass/photo pass plus - whatever it's name has been, we have gotten it. The problem is that we only get 1 for the family, not one of each of us: now with the new passes, we "pay" for memory makers for everyone with the price difference vs just buying one. Oh well. It is what it is.

Assuming you can live with the Gold pass and it's blackout dates, the price difference is only $20 per pass. Unless you have 9+ people in your family, the Gold passes will still cost less than the old APs plus the Memory Maker.

And you'll save even more if you have multiple trips under the Gold AP since the old structure would have necessitated paying $169 for each trip. (Assuming you want the photos, of course.)

Someone posted on another thread that WDW could force you to "upgrade" to the Gold AP when activating an "old" DVC voucher.

No, they cannot. Disney either has to honor the terms of the AP certificate when it was issued (which means park access but no Memory Maker) or upgrade it to the closest equivalent Platinum pass.

AP certificates do not have any expiration date attached to them. Disney cannot (and would not) force any sort of ticket downgrade or upcharge for media already owned.

Assuming you can live with the Gold pass and it's blackout dates, the price difference is only $20 per pass. Unless you have 9+ people in your family, the Gold passes will still cost less than the old APs plus the Memory Maker.

And you'll save even more if you have multiple trips under the Gold AP since the old structure would have necessitated paying $169 for each trip

I think future trips the Gold AP will be what we use but for our upcoming trip we already bought a memory maker which isn't refundable. It's more that we are all set for next month and I dont want to Jack around trying you get the Memory Maker refunded.

Where is anyone even seeing a link for an option to a "gold pass" The only things I'm seeing are the Platinum and Platinum Plus options. (Do I need to log into the DVC site?? I was just looking at the Disney site alone)

How long is an AP voucher good for? I'm thinking about buying one now for the end of 2016....

If you are a DVC member, and don't go Christmas/New Year's week or Easter week, the GOLD works. If however you go those times, you will need the Platinum -- which is significantly more expensive -- but has a DVC discount. To me, the discount almost matches the increase -- so you gain very little. In essence, it about $100 EXTRA to be able to go those weeks. Unfortunately, we have planned to go Christmas/New Year's week this year -- but it will most likely be our last time.

This is us....we have to buy the more expensive one in December because we have a NYE as well as 4 th of July plans, but next year? No way! This is our 6th NYE trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter