DVC Annual Dues Rates For 2013

So I'm going to come out and say that the values posted by Webmaster Doc are simply misleading. Anyone can go on dvcmember.com and look at their dues. The tax adjustment was put in place before any bill was sent to anyone.

I don't think anyone ever claimed that those were the amounts billed. Those are the annual budget projections as issued by DVC. Are the numbers a perfect representation of the cost of owning DVC? No. But going back 20 years they are the only numbers publicly available for all resorts.

So no matter if you paid on a monthly basis or all at once, you still pay the same amount. That amount was NOT $4.73/point this last year for SSR.

Depends.

If you purchased SSR points direct from DVC on January 1, 2012 then $4.73 per point is the EXACT amount you would have paid for the year. A buyer on 1/1/12 would not have received any adjustment from 2011.

This also illustrates another way in which adjustments complicate matters. Dues are pro-rated from the date of purchase and the corresponding adjustments / corrections will also be pro-rated.

I don't think anyone ever claimed that those were the amounts billed. Those are the annual budget projections as issued by DVC. Are the numbers a perfect representation of the cost of owning DVC? No. But going back 20 years they are the only numbers publicly available for all resorts.

So we have the ability with this board to know the exact numbers. Why aren't we doing that?

Depends.

If you purchased SSR points direct from DVC on January 1, 2012 then $4.73 per point is the EXACT amount you would have paid for the year. A buyer on 1/1/12 would not have received any adjustment from 2011.

I guess I don't believe you. If I look at dvcmember.com it shows that the tax pro-ration for 2012 was done on 12/17/11. Long before 1/1/12. So in your hypothetical situation, the purchaser on 1/1 would have paid $4.70 per point because the tax situation would have already been resolved.

Does DVC publish new numbers after the Member's Meeting? Why do you believe the number was $4.73 instead of the actual paid number of $4.70?

This also illustrates another way in which adjustments complicate matters. Dues are pro-rated from the date of purchase and the corresponding adjustments / corrections will also be pro-rated.

Perhaps this is how it is actually done (I'd have to go back and look at my purchase documents to see what I was charged) but it obviously need not be done that way. Since the tax adjustments are accomplished before the bills go out for the year, the actual values are known and the pro-rations should be accurate without having to take into account any adjustments/corrections. Those were already accomplished at the beginning of the year. No need to pull them forward.

So we have the ability with this board to know the exact numbers. Why aren't we doing that?

Where are the numbers going to come from? Who keeps track of prior year property tax adjustments...much less 20 years' worth?

Does DVC publish new numbers after the Member's Meeting? Why do you believe the number was $4.73 instead of the actual paid number of $4.70?

SSR_2012.jpg

I agree that the numbers posted and discussed here are not a full and complete financial picture for each resort. There are adjustments made at the beginning of each year to account for under- or over-estimates tax estimates made in the prior year.

But having gone through this nearly 10 years now, I would propose that the adjustments are high just as often as they are low. For 2012, on $1355 in dues, I was personally credited $6.59 for overpayment of taxes in 2011. And that's all the data I have available, even for my own points.

Over the long haul, I doubt there will be a material difference in the dollars paid. One year taxes may be over-estimated by $10.00. The next year they'll be under-estimated by $8.00.

You are certainly welcome to perform your own calculations based upon actual dollars paid. But if you want to talk about year-to-year percentage changes, you will have to wait until the adjustments for 2012 taxes are posted to your account. Your 2013 dues for SSR will not be $4.8129 x points owned. It will be $4.8129 x points owned, PLUS or MINUS adjustments for 2012 taxes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter