Dumbo Double Dare 2015 Half Marathon! *Completed*

cavepig

DIS Veteran
Disneyland half marathon weekend! First trip report too, so we'll see how this goes!

Intro:

We ran the WDW marathon in January so decided to go Coast to Coast & Dumbo! This is our 2nd visit to Disneyland, the last was 8 years ago, so Carsland was new to us!

The trip included myself and younger brother. We grew up in a Disney-a-holic family & have lost track of our WDW visits, but only started running Run Disney races in 2014 with the Expedition Everest Challenge! That hooked us. We both have been running since high school cross country, so about 22 years for me! In January I had the flu (just not cool & was sick for a month with it) & he had a pulled calf muscle so it was refreshing going in healthy to these races.

Day 1 - Fly, Expo & DCA

We arrived at 9:50am on Friday and caught the 10:30am Disneyland Express to the Grand Californian. We bought the vouchers with our package, so it was easy peasy. Other runners on the plane & bus, so cool!

We checked in and our room wasn't ready so checked our bags with Bell Services & were in DCA before we knew it! Grabbed a Radiator Springs FP, rode Screamin' & ate lunch at Cocina Cucamonga. Pretty good & filling!
day1002.JPG
day1004.JPG

We got a text our room was ready at 3:15pm so we headed back & got our suitcases put in our room, and then headed to the EXPO. Got our bibs (no wait) & Dumbo Picture that were located in the garage area, then went up to the convention hall to get our shirts & gear bag. Then we walked around the expo booths and hit the official merchandise (no wait to get in). Dumbo I Did it shirts and lots of other stuff was sold out. I did get a Coast to Coast shirt but they were out of L & XL Men so my brother didn't get one, sad!

Grand Californian room
day1005.JPG
day1007.JPG

Bib Pick up, Dumbo was on the end, no line.
day1008.JPG

day1010.JPG

Listened to Sean Astin speak a little.
day1013.JPG

Sold out racks of I did It shirts. They only had Half I did it left.
IMG_6533.jpg

Headed back to DCA and ate dinner at Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. We enjoyed it. Rode Radiator Springs at night with our FP & some other things then headed back to the resort about 7:00pm. Of course had trouble falling asleep later as we gained 2 hours coming from Nebraska, note for future races bring movies we know we can fall asleep too.
day1018.JPG
day1020.JPG

Next up the 10k! Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Yay, glad you're doing a report!

We were at the expo first thing Thursday...I can't believe how empty it is in your pictures! That really stinks that they sold out of stuff so fast.

Jealous that you got to stay at the Grand...that is definitely on my wishlist! :)

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 10K :)

Yay for a trip report! Congrats on your Coast to Coast!

(By the way, am I the only one who can't see any photos? :o)

Day 2 - 10k & Disneyland

Wake-up call was at 3:25am, actually not too bad waking up. Ate some Great Grains Cereal with chocolate milk and orange juice and used the in room coffee pot. This is how I eat most mornings so I knew it would sit well. Got dressed and headed out the door about 4:25am to Downtown Disney and followed the crowds towards the Staging Area.

I was Mary Poppins - "...Spoonful of Sugar...& Every RUN you undertake becomes a PIECE OF CAKE" Oh, and my 1 compression sleeve is for a shin splint. I love the Zensah sleeves.
day2003.JPG
day2005.JPG

Stood around then realized we could head to the corrals, so wandered up to Corral A, we were both in A for the 10k. We were near the front, behind a barefoot runner (that is crazy, but if it works go for it).
day2004.JPG
day2007.JPG
day2008.JPG

5:30am & we are off! For half a second my brother & I ran together, but then he was way ahead of me in no time. Lots of people passed me, but I ended up running my fastest mile in a long time. I didn't run into any problems with having to get around people.

The first 2 miles are past the Anaheim Convention Center and outside the parks, not much to see, but with all the people it was easy to be distracted. NOTE: I do not like the round bumps in the road on the lines, I kept ending up on them & thought I would trip.

Saw Sean Astin running, he must have passed me later on as his time is faster and I see him at the finish already done. He seems like a great guy & we had just finished watching all the Lord of the Rings before the trip, so that was kind of neat.

Mile 1 marker I think was Jafar, it was on the way other side of the road so I missed a picture.
day2010.JPG

Then we were in DCA for mile 3 and I stood in line for a World of Color Mickey Fun wheel picture, but then hopped out (I tend to do this with icons, why?, I don't know. I think I want to wait, but then decide why bother I'll get it later with my medal on). I just took a picture without me, good enough.
day2011.JPG

The Lotso line was probably my longest wait, about 2 minutes maybe, people were taking too long posing & taking multiple pictures ahead of me. My thing is take your picture & go!

day2012.JPG

Stopped for these Villains crew people & the parade float.
day2013.JPG

day2014.JPG

Continued in next post

Last edited:

Day 2 10K Continued...

Running in the Hollywood area at DCA, reminds me of Studios at WDW a little bit.
day2015.JPG
day2016.JPG
day2017.JPG

Then we crossed over into Disneyland to find mile 4 & 5 markers. Again, I stopped for an icon picture by the Partners statue, but then hopped out of line, why do I do this?

I felt pretty good so ran "my race pace" between characters. The course was flying by I thought & kept telling myself not to go crazy as I had the half tomorow.
day2018.JPG
day2019.JPG
day2020.JPG
day2021.JPG

My favorite photo I think...this was a great stop!
day2022.JPG

Loved the Custodial crew out there cheering us on.

day2023.JPG
day2024.JPG

Continued in next post

Last edited:
Day 2 10K continued...
day2025.JPG
day2026.JPG
day2028.jpg
day2028b.JPG
day2029.JPG

Then we were in Downtown Disney and found mile 6 marker. Lots of people out cheering. This flew by and then there was the finish!
day2030.JPG
day2031.JPG

Net time 1:02:10 (I don't keep track of how long I waited for pictures). Very happy, I haven't raced a 10k in years.

day2032.JPG
day2033.JPG

Got my medal, water, Powerade & snack box then met up with my brother waiting at our predetermined spot of near the Massage Tent.
Passed through Downtown Disney and watched people running, that was fun.

Continued in next post

Last edited:
Day 2 10k Continued ....

Then went up to the room & took a nice hot shower (NOTE: the Grand's shower/tub floor was slippery, I slipped bad the first time but caught myself every other time)

Snack box stuff, so random, but the corn chips hit the spot.
day2034b.JPG

Our view, we could see people still on course, pretty cool!
day2035.JPG

We then went to Disneyland in time for Rope Drop. Road some rides. Then ate lunch at the Hungry Bear. The fried green tomato sandwich was delicious. Watched the canoes (which we will ride after the half on Sunday).
day2035b.JPG
day2036.JPG
day2037.JPG

Road more rides, watched Moments with Mr. Lincoln even. That's the main thing I missed was more "just sit inside rides" like at Magic Kingdom, such as Country Bears, Carrousel of Progress or even the TTA. Tiki Birds was a good sit, but oh my those lines for Dole Whips were crazy long and made the whole entrance a little chaotic. We do love Indiana Jones.

Ate dinner at Red Rocket's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. The pasta was a little gummy but not terrible.
day2039.JPG
day2040.JPG
day2038.JPG

Rode a few more rides, saw the Soundsational parade because we got stuck by it trying to get to Small World. The parade was cute, but we really enjoyed finding the Characters put in throughout Small World, like Cinderella, Mulan, etc. Then we took the Monorail out about 6:30pm maybe. Toured the resort, watched the end of Nemo & beginning of Tarzan as they were on TV. Slept well luckily.
day2041.JPG

Oh & in our room there was a Disney Resorts SPa H2O softening Mint Foot Rub - so I went ahead and used it all over my feet, felt great.

Next up Half & DCA
Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

Yay for a trip report! Congrats on your Coast to Coast!

(By the way, am I the only one who can't see any photos? :o)
Oh no, I'm just uploading through here, hopefully you can see them at some point. Thanks!

Yay, glad you're doing a report!

We were at the expo first thing Thursday...I can't believe how empty it is in your pictures! That really stinks that they sold out of stuff so fast.

Jealous that you got to stay at the Grand...that is definitely on my wishlist! :)

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 10K :)
The Grand was very nice & that entrance into DCA was very cool to use. We stayed at Paradise Pier last time. We normally stay at POP at WDW so this was a nice treat, but I missed having a big food court & refillable mugs! At least we didn't have to wait for merchandise, although we only bought a shirt each, since he couldn't get a Coast to Coast he got a blue Dumbo one, the one nobody buys since they had plenty, but it's pretty neat.

Last edited:
You took so many fabulous pictures!!! I was way in the back of corral D, so I couldn't even see the stage and then missed a bunch of characters, it seems. But your report makes up for all of that! :lovestruc

Disneyland half marathon weekend! First trip report too, so we'll see how this goes!

Awesome that you are doing a TR!! Looking forward to reading about your adventures and seeing all the pics. Thanks for sharing!

You took so many fabulous pictures!!! I was way in the back of corral D, so I couldn't even see the stage and then missed a bunch of characters, it seems. But your report makes up for all of that! :lovestruc
I tried to take lots of photos and video clips so actually never even put my camera in my belt. The hardest is in the dark deciding to actually stop so it won't turn out blurry. I love seeing others photos from the races so figured I wanted to share too.

Awesome that you are doing a TR!! Looking forward to reading about your adventures and seeing all the pics. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for following along. I love how on here is where others get the Run Disney thing.

Day 2 - Half Marathon & DCA

Wake-up call was at 3:25am again & I did the same thing as the day before. Entered Corral B around 4:45 probably. Luckily, didn't feel terribly sore or anything from the 10k the day before. My knees were a little achy so I applied some bio freeze on them right before starting, I had a little packet in my pocket along with 2 Clif Energy Gels . I was Dumbo "the Magic Feather was just a Gag, You can RUN!" - a little hard to read on the gray shirt.

day3001.JPG
day3002.JPG
day3003.JPG
day3004.JPG
day3005.JPG
day3006.JPG
day3007.JPG

5:30am & Corral A started (I had set my phone to receive runner tracking for both of us, so it went off alerting me my brother had started. I liked doing this then I knew right away our timing chips were working). The corral A runners were leaking out of their gate so it took a few minutes for them all to get through. We were walked up to the start & it was about 8 minutes later that Corral B started! I got bumped at the start as people took off, but nothing too crazy luckily.

We entered Carsland of DCA around mile 1, I think, seeing all the lights is pretty cool.
day3008.JPG
day3009.jpg
day3010.JPG

Continued in Next post

Last edited:
Day 3 Half Marathon continued...

I again stopped for a World of Color icon picture, but hopped out of line.
day3011.JPG

Not too long and the first characters I saw were out - Robin Hood & Prince John, I had to stop. It was about a 2.5-3 minute wait maybe. I saw more characters, but they were a lot of the same villains I saw the day before but plus their Hero counterpart. I decided not to stop today, instead stopped for other photos. I wish I had stopped for Frollo, but oh well. When I saw him he was alone, but I guess Esmerelda joined him at times.
day3012.jpg
day3013.JPG
day3014.JPG
day3015.JPG

We left DCA & entered Disneyland, and saw the mile 2 marker.
day3016.JPG
day3017.JPG
day3018.JPG

I stopped to meet this very sweet horse! He kept nuzzling his head into me. Glad I stopped here.
day3019.JPG
day3020.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Disneyland Half continued...

We went backstage, but the entered Disneyland again into Toontown. Rolled my ankle at some point, but I've done it enough in the past I caught myself from falling luckily. Could have the course a little off during this part as we weaved around a lot through the park.

day3021.jpg
day3022.jpg
day3023.jpg
day3024.JPG
day3025.jpg
day3026.jpg
day3027.JPG

I saw these signs for photo ops by Small World, so stopped and waited in line for one, it was taking a while, but the noticed a girl with another sign with no line, so quickly changed to her. I guess that was a nice break, but wish I had seen the no line person sooner, oh well.
day3028.jpg
day3029.JPG

Fairly quickly we were at Mile 4 and out of the parks. While that seemed sad to know we had no more park time, it actually was pretty fun as there was a lot out on the course from bands, dancers, cheerleaders, & people cheering. We train on lots of hills where we live so the few hills were not bad. Oh and a runner passed by in a full Belle dress, wow that was cool but too much for me.
day3030.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Disneyland Half Continued...

day3031.JPG

Miles 5-7 passed by fairly quickly. I did eat one of my Clif Energy Gels about mile 4.5 as I was needing a bit of a boost. Right after eating it was a water stop so washed it down with water. Most other stops I took powerade and walked to drink it, otherwise I just spill it all over.

a blurry Mile 5
day3032.jpg

day3034.jpg
day3035.jpg
day3036.JPG

day3037.JPG

Mile 8 came with about a mile worth of old cars & the Honda Center. This was a great distraction. I felt pretty good still with no major issues luckily.
day3038.JPG
day3039.JPG
day3040.JPG

Contiuned in Next Post

Last edited:
day3041.JPG
day3042.JPG
day3044.JPG

We entered the Santa Ana Trail dried up riverbed. It was dirt & small gravel, which I liked since it was softer than the roads. Then we were back on pavement fairly quickly with a small hill. *** Here was where a rude lady, told me to "Watch out" and pushed me a little. Guess she was trying to push her way through even though it was not that crowded, so I just powered up the hill fast and lost her as she couldn't keep up. I'm not sure what her problem was or why some people feel they have the right to move you on course (as I had a lady do that during the Jan Marathon at WDW).

day3045.JPG
day3046.jpg
day3047.JPG

Mile 9 and the Clif Energy Gel stop came up & we could see Angel Stadium coming up. I grabbed a couple enery gels.

day3048.JPG
day3049.JPG
day3050.JPG
day3051.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Disneyland Half continued...

day3052.jpg
day3053.JPG

Then we ran into Angel Stadium. This was amazing with the crowd's loud cheering. I saw Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in the stands too. That went by very fast even with having to slow down as it got a little crowded going through the small space.
day3054.JPG
day3055.jpg
day3056.jpg
day3057.JPG
day3058.JPG

The sun was out in full force and it was hot, but luckily we had hot & humid weather leading up to the races to train in so it didn't feel terrible. I did see a person in a full head to toe Buzz Lightyear costume, that had to be warm, neat but warm. Mile 10 came and I was feeling good but needed a boost so I ate another energy gel and drank water at the water stop. I prefer water right after an energy gel versus Powerade, it washes it down better.

day3059.JPG
day3060.JPG

Mile 11 marker

day3061.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

Saw "Disney Way" sign and Tower of Terror towering over everything. We were getting close to the finish. I grabbed Powerade at the last water stop somewhere.
day3062.JPG
day3063.JPG

Mile 12 marker was the last photo & video I took as I decided I should just run to the finish so stashed my camera in my belt.
day3064.JPG

Saw the Mile 13 marker with lots of people cheering and 'sprinted' into the finish. Wow, and just like that it was over.

Net time: 2:06:34 (I was happy with it & my 10k time, they'll be future Proofs of time)

Received my half medal. Walked in to the Dumbo Double Dare tent where I walked over a mat and maybe that pulled my picture up so the worker could verify it was me as he just said "you're ok" and then another worker put the Dumbo medal on me and my Coast to Coast medal.
day3065.JPG
day3066.JPG

Grabbed a water & Powerade bottle, got one of those cool towels (really nice to wipe my face), snack box, took a picture with the half backdrop (I guess I missed the Dumbo one, oh well).
day3068.JPG
day3070.JPG

Met my brother at the massage tent and then we headed back to the room, stopping to watch some other runners finish!
day3071.JPG
day3072.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Disneyland Half Continued & DCA...

The Medals. I really liked the designs of them all. Oh & the Snack Box & cool towel behind it.
day3073.JPG

Cleaned up, kind of stretched but not really, put Bio Freeze all over my legs & went into DCA. Got a Radiator Springs FP, rode in single rider, went to Screamin', and then ate lunch at Flo's. I had the Veggie Tater Bake, it was really good.
day3074.JPG
day3075.JPG

Went on more rides, took a short break back at the room. Rode Grizzly Rapids, I think I prefer Kali at Animal Kingdom, but it was still fun. Saw Goofy, who doesn't liked to be asked if he likes dog bones, oops! Met Oswald & Olaf. Rode the Red Car Trolley & did Monsters again.
day3076.JPG

Ate dinner at Paradise Garden Grill, but my brother got a corn dog at the Corn Dog place.
day3078.JPG
day3079.JPG

Finally got on Goofy's Sky Coaster as it had been down a lot. Rode Radiator Springs again, that ride is really cool with the large animatronics! Rode the Ferris Wheel (non spinning as that was just too scary when we did it last time). Love the views from up on it.
day3080.JPG
day3081.JPG
day3082.JPG

Rode Heimlich's Ride again & watched It's Tough to Be a Bug (a nice good sit). Not a fan of the other Bug's Area rides, too much spinning for me.

Used our World of Color fastpass to go into the Blue area. It was stuffy standing there waiting for it to start. I didn't love World of Color, it was just okay to me. The attraction & movie parts were neat, but I thought Neil Patrick Harris singing and riding cars was weird in it.
day3083.JPG

All the walking in the parks helped me not get too stiff during the day, but I was feeling a little sore in the hamstrings & quads.

Next up a full day at Disneyland!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter