DSLRs and airport security

Hmmm... I guess that since I typically travel with the family, I'll make it a habit of sandwiching myself between them to better keep an eye on my gear. Thanks for the info.

I didn't see anything on the TSA website. It will be interesting to see when I fly in November to disney.

Just got back and they only asked me to pull out my laptop, and said the dslr was fine. Both at DFW and at MCO.

I am sitting in terminal 4 at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix right now. Security did not ask me to remove my DSLR. My DW and I had a plan though just in case, she was going to go ahead of me and then I would send it through the machine just to make sure no one would walk away with it. Thanks for the heads up though.:thumbsup2

This is not true.... Some TSA staff at some airports have misconstrued a new rule concerning DVD players and full-sized gaming consoles as applying to dSLRs too.

Effective August 4, 2007, laptop computers, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation®, X-box®, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.
What Needs to be Screened Separately

* Laptops
* Full-size video game consoles
* Full-size DVD players
* Video cameras that use video cassettes
* CPAP breathing machines

Small and portable electronic items do not need to be removed from their carrying cases. Link

Just got back from WDW today and did not have to remove my DSLR from the bag in either direction.

When we flew out of DTW in July, they made me remove everything from my camera bag and place them in the bin and then proceeded to run it through x-ray. I had quite a lot of stuff in there and held up the line unpacking it. 30D, P&S, 2 lenses, camcorder, chargers, PDA, extra cell phone, extra batteries. I think unpacking and packing the bag took longer than the flight:rotfl2: . MCO just ran the bag through without making me unpack it

Back in August I flew from LaGuardia to Washington DC (dulles) to West Virginia and all 3 places asked to me remove the camera. They said it was the battery and had to test it. :confused3 i said ok.

Back in August I flew from LaGuardia to Washington DC (dulles) to West Virginia and all 3 places asked to me remove the camera. They said it was the battery and had to test it. :confused3 i said ok.

Yeah the DSLRS use simliar sized batteries that camcorders do. One of my relatives who is a supervisor for the TSA said the batteries are strong enough to set off a you-know-what. Scary thought. It's a pain, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah the DSLRS use simliar sized batteries that camcorders do. One of my relatives who is a supervisor for the TSA said the batteries are strong enough to set off a you-know-what. Scary thought. It's a pain, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

i would like to be safe than sorry to.

Interesting, because when I went through Philly in August DS & I got the "special" treatment. They sent my almost new & still white walking shoes through a machine a few time. Then asked me if I'd walked on any golf courses or lawns with them. After a body search I thought for sure they would tear up my bag and bring in the drug sniffing dogs. They looked at everything in my camera bag and swabbed it. Nothing like the shoe exam.

Had I walked in s*# at some point? Was it because I fly down to FL every few months carrying all this photo stuff? Would they understand if I explained I'm just a Disney photofanatic going back for a fix and DS is my photopack mule not my drug mule?

I'm thankful they do the searches. What a way to start a vacation running through the airport with my belt hanging off worried I'm leaving a trail of belongings along the way:rotfl:

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to WDW, we'll see what they ask me to do.

These rules seem to so arbitrary to me anyway.

I usually take my small camera bag out of the backpack and take the camera out of that to place in a bin. Now that I think of it, a couple times I have been asked to show that the camera actually powers up. They saw the LCD turn on and waved me through both times. Other times they dont even blink at my camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter