• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DSLR Dad's - suggestions

theduck619

DIS Dad #188
I wanted to get some advice from you more experienced photograper dad's. We just acquired a Canon Rebel T3. It also came with a 75-300mm lens. What are some of things I should work on before our trip in November? :confused3

I wanted to get some advice from you more experienced photograper dad's. We just acquired a Canon Rebel T3. It also came with a 75-300mm lens. What are some of things I should work on before our trip in November? :confused3

Pick up a fast, shorter lens. A fixed-length 50mm is usually pretty inexpensive. 30 mm is even better, but a fast one is more expensive.

In terms of practice shooting:
1) Know how to turn off your auto-flash, especially if you're going to take your camera on dark rides.
2) Just shoot a LOT, especially things that are difficult - things in motion, shooting from light into shadow and from shadow into light, backlighting. Remember, no one ever needs to know about the 30 shots you threw away to get the one good one you post/print/share, whatever.
3) Work on manual focus. I still need practice on this, and often give up and let auto-focus work its magic. I can't focus worth a damn with my glasses on. :(

I agree, you need to get a Nifty 50, or something along those lines. I personally have an old XS, and I can tell you that ISO 1600 and F1.8 is not enough on HM. You can get some semi decent shots on POTC, but the higher the ISO here the better.

You can check the quality of your manual focus by using the zoom buttons and looking at your display. Everything looks good when your using a 3" inch screen, until you zoom in.

Dont delete your pictures until you have them downloaded on a laptop.

Bring a backup battery, using a remote trigger and tripod for fireworks, the photography section of the Disboards has a primer on how to shoot fireworks. But most of all, find a good spot and get there at least an hour to hour and a half early.

Matt

It did come with an 18-55mm lenscas part of the kit. Thanks for the suggestions. I am with you on the manual focus Aaron. Without my glasses I see squat.

It did come with an 18-55mm lenscas part of the kit. Thanks for the suggestions. I am with you on the manual focus Aaron. Without my glasses I see squat.

I actually have sort of the opposite problem. My glasses are progressive bifocals. So if I look through the camera viewfinder, I have to look EXACTLY through the center of my glasses, or else the image is distorted. But if I take off my glasses, I need a place to put them, etc. It screws with my composition if I have my glasses on too, as my field of vision seems to be affected as well.

I recommend a BlackRapid RS7 Strap. I haven't been to Disney with my DSLR yet but I can tell you from walking around a lot of other places, that strap is worth the $$.

http://allenscamera.bigcartel.com/product/black-rapid-rs-7-with-fastenr-3

Jeff

I have that strap and love it. It came in extremely handy during my last trip to The World. As a matter of fact, it was instrumental in a quick snap that I took at Epcot that ended up being one of my favorite shots:

Gratuitous Monorail at Epcot Shot by BigTex71, on Flickr

Great Shot! I Am wondering how it is getting around with the DSLR on rides? Also for the MNSSHP I was thinking of bringing a shoe mount flash, and possibly a flash cage with a bounce card. Will this be feesable? or a total nightmare.

Great Shot! I Am wondering how it is getting around with the DSLR on rides? Also for the MNSSHP I was thinking of bringing a shoe mount flash, and possibly a flash cage with a bounce card. Will this be feesable? or a total nightmare.

I had no issues with rides with my Black Rapid strap - I would just slide the camera in my lap, still on the strap, while on a ride (didn't ride and water-based rides with it.)

Not sure about the flash accessories, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter