DS' Kindergarten supply list.....

bigbabyblues

DIS Veteran
Small pencil box labeled with child's name
#2 lead pencils
pillow for rest time that fit in a grocery sack to be sent home and washed
1 box crayons that will fit in the pencil box

That's it. DS8's list was a little longer, but not bad either.

Not bad! My DDs are both about 20 items. i really love hitting the good sales. They sell a prepackaged bundle for each grade level at about $50, when I get their supplies with all the sales, I spend about $15 total total! The packages are such a rip off!:teacher:

I would love a $50 prepack. My DS's prepack is $110. I got got all of the supplies on sale for around $35:banana:

I wish they would give us the list at the end of the previous school year or at least earlier in the summer so I could bargain shop. I don't have lists for my DDs yet.

I ended up with about $40 worth of stuff to buy - gads it does wear on you. Thankfully there are several items she can reuse this year - ruler, scissors, backpack, lunchsack, etc.

First up on DS's list: uniforms (new policy instituted by the school board for the 2009/2010 school year :eek:). They can only have certain colored polos and khaki shorts and pants. Shirts must be collared except they are allowed to wear a white sweatshirt with the school logo during the winter (avaliable only at the school store for $39.95 + tax). Total cost of uniforms after b3g1f offer: $82.37.

Next up: Book bag, 4 boxes of 12 ct #2 pencils, 2 boxes of 24 ct regular crayons, 5 folders (certain colors), 1 pair of 5" scissors, 2 4oz bottles of glue, 2 marble composition books, 3 boxes of tissues, 1 box of quart ziploc bags, 1 box of gallon ziploc bags, 1 large bottle of hand sanitizer, 1 day book (avalible at the school store for $8.95 + tax), baby wipes, clorox wipes, lysol spray, 3x5 index cards, large pink erasers, plus a lunch box if your child brings his/her lunch to school. :scared1:

At the bottom of the page it says "Please do not label any of the supplies as most go into general class supplies". Which means that I am supposed to buy supplies for DS AND any of his classmates who can't afford to get their own supplies. There's just one problem . . . I can't really afford to get supplies for DS, much less the other kids. Why does the school think we are made of money?

And yes, DS is going to be going into kindergarten.

OMG this is my DD's list for Kindergraten..... Just picked most of it up

4 boxes - 8ct Crayola Crayons NOT JUMBO
8 .77 oz Elmers Glue Sticks
1 - 5" Fiskars scissors
6 Boxes 24 ct Crayola Crayons
1 box 160ct Kleenex
1 box gal Zip locks
1- 2" Avery View Binder
1- 9X5 Spacemaker supply box
1- small pink beveled easer
1-bath towel

And we can not put thier names on anything

I wish they would give us the list at the end of the previous school year or at least earlier in the summer so I could bargain shop. I don't have lists for my DDs yet.

Just so you know, teachers make those lists before school lets out. I don't know why it takes the school so long to send them out.:confused3 We were asked to make out our list and then told the district may send out the generic one they have used before.:sad2: We are a Montessori school(public) and our supply needs are very different from the generic ones. Last year they did that and we got lots of things we didn't need, and didn't get things we did need. So of course we had to spend our own money and parents wasted their money as well.:headache:

Marsha

I hate school supply lists. Half the time they don't end up needing/using the supplies that they are said to need. Other than paper, pencil lead, pens and a 2" binder I don't buy any of the supplies until they actually need them.

For my DD Kindergarten school list I need:

• Ziploc bags
  • Kleenex
  • Sanitizer
  • Baby Wipes
  • Crayons

No specifics. I got her 8 count crayons, Snack size Ziploc bags, big bottle of sanitizer.

She also has too wear uniforms. Colors are Navy Blue, Artic White, Royal Blue, Black and Khaki. Uniforms are killing me.

DS's Kindergarten list:

1-Package baby or antibacterial wipes

That's it. :confused3

I think that's kinda weird but, whatever, at least it's cheap for me! :cool1:

We just got a letter today telling us who DD6 has for a teacher but still no supply list. DD10's school lets us pick up the school packet on Wed and maybe there will be a list in there.

OMG this is my DD's list for Kindergraten..... Just picked most of it up

4 boxes - 8ct Crayola Crayons NOT JUMBO
8 .77 oz Elmers Glue Sticks
1 - 5" Fiskars scissors
6 Boxes 24 ct Crayola Crayons
1 box 160ct Kleenex
1 box gal Zip locks
1- 2" Avery View Binder
1- 9X5 Spacemaker supply box
1- small pink beveled easer
1-bath towel

And we can not put thier names on anything

They require brand names? :eek:

This thread choked me up a bit. I started thinking about how this will be me... in a mere FIVE years. :rotfl:

You laugh that it's 5 years off, but it will be here before you know it! DS is in preK this year. I swear it feels like he was born last week.

You laugh that it's 5 years off, but it will be here before you know it! DS is in preK this year. I swear it feels like he was born last week.

I know, that is why I DID laugh. "Mere 5 years" my foot. I can't believe he's 2 months old. :guilty:

I teach 3rd grade and the school does the lists and we get little input. But, I would say if you wanted to cut costs and you have a really long list- you can skip:

ziploc baggies
hand sanatizer
clorox wipes
lysol spray
index cards
tape

I have SO much of this stuff left at the end of the year. I bring it down to the low income schools. I used to teach at one and I know they don't get many supplies. Our school actually does half and half on this stuff (girls bring wipes, boys bring spray etc.).

It really helps when the kids bring at a minimum:
scissors
glue, glue and more glue
crayons/ markers/ colored pencils
kleenex (last year I had 1 box left)
pencils
erasers (can't get enough!)
folders (and the kind we ask for!)

We also share supplies and I have found they last a LOT longer that way. The year I let each kid keep it, they lost it or broke it within a month. If they are sharing between four of them, they take better care of it. It might be because with their own, the supplies are abundant and sharing they seem scarcer- not sure. But, the difference is huge! I store them all and change them out as needed. I actually save the used stuff for if we run out at the end of the year. Then I give anything usable back at the end (round robin, each kid picks 1-2 things).

Oh, and PLEASE don't buy pencil sharpeners without a place for the shavings to go. You might think they sharpen over the trash. They don't. :thumbsup2

Our PTO has bought the school supplies the last few years. They spend around $10 per child.

I do buy new supplies to keep on hand for homework each year.

My kid had tube socks and dixie cups on his kindergarten list plus the other stuff. We figured the socks were for art class and the cups are for snacks. My husband handed off the supplies a little too quick. I had meant to unbundle some stuff so we would have some at home.

To OP with uniforms - do they have to come from a certain place?

I've been a bit emotional all week thinking about the 1st day of school.

My DD needed a tube sock in 1st grade too. The list was specific though: The tube sock becomes an eraser for the small dry erase boards they use in class from time to time. The intent was - send a used holey one, one that was outgrown, or one that somehow lost its mate to the dryer "sock monster", one that lost its elasticity etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter