Dry Dock Location

HappyGrumpy

DIS Veteran
In the past Norfolk VA is where DCL did their dry dock,

This past time for the Wonder it was in the Bahamas. Does that mean the Magic will be heading there for her DD as well?

I was just hoping that it was just the Wonder that was sent there as a one time
deal and that the contracts were still negotiated for Norfolk!

I would love to know if anyone has any info!!

Thx

as far as i know they negotiated to have all future dry docks at the bahamas, i think it had something to do with costs or labor or something like that

I think they said when the Wonder went to the Bahamas that they'd be doing the drydocks in the Bahamas going forward because it was much cheaper than going to VA for it. We get off the Magic on October 2nd this year after the WBTA, then I think it heads off to drydock.

Of course, the Wonder will be doing it's 2011 drydock when it finishes it's Alaska sailings in Vancouver before it heads back to LA, so it won't be heading back to the Bahamas for drydock again!

Thanks for your responses!

I was afraid that's how you were going to answer:sad2: I will miss them being here! it was the highlight for me for 2 weeks to see it everyday going into/out of work.

As I can imagine the less expensive labor cost probably made all the difference. My Feb 27th 2011 Dream cruise cant get here fast enough!:rotfl:

as far as i know they negotiated to have all future dry docks at the bahamas, i think it had something to do with costs or labor or something like that

Theres was a rumor though I dont know how true it is, that there was a paperwork, union issue or paperwork issues with some overseas workers doing work on the Wonder in 09,that led to the move to Freeport.She was originally scheduled to go to Va, but it was changed to Freeport,in the spring of 09 I think.It was within a few months of the original drydock date.They wouldnt be able to move that qiuck if they were contractually bound to Va for years.
Asfaik they dont negotiate years in advance for yard work.When a ship is due, theyll either call a specific yard for dates or call around until they find a yard that has the dates open in the time frame the line is looking.They may book as far as 2 - 2 1/2 years in advance which is the longest a ship can go without having to drydock. A lot also depends on what the line has in mind for the ship.Certain yards cant handle certain things and wont/cant get certain work.Theres a lot of permitting and regulations regarding what can be done and by who on a ship, and what to do with the waste.
There was a show on tv that was 6 or 8 weeks long several years ago,that followed the Sovergn of the Seas to Freeport and everything they did for a 2 week or so drydock and explained a lot of what goes on.

Interesting! Very Interesting! I guess time will tell! It would be awesome to see them come back here! Just need to have some Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

If anyone hears anything please post it!

Thanks
HG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter