Driving your own car vs buses...

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by epadisney, Nov 20, 2012.

1. wdwrich

wdwrich DIS Veteran

And don't forget that most folks are hot and stinky too at the end of a long day in the park! I'll take my own vehicle any day.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jgh

jgh Peter Pan!

We always ride the buses. We don't even touch our car while we're at Disney. We like it because it's like "getting away" from everything. Not having to drive a car around in traffic is nice.

4. softballmom3

softballmom3 DIS Veteran

Same for us. Yes they've been packed at times but overall we haven't had any bad experiences.

5. kaligal

kaligal DIS Veteran

If you can afford a car, get one and use it.

If you cannot afford to rent a car, allow 60-90 minutes to travel from one place to another. It doesn't always take that long, but it can.

The only time I wouldn't take the car would be if I were going to the MK, leaving before closing and going immediately back to the room...but I rarely even bus in that event because I might want to stop for water or something.

6. john1928

john1928 Mouseketeer

My leisure time is too valuable to waste it using mass transit. This is true at home, but even more true while on vacation. Couple this with the fact that I don't mind driving at all, but don't like dealing with hoards of tired and occasionally inconsiderate other guests and the end result is that we always drive.

Even at Magic Kingdom, if you're staying until close you'll come out ahead in net transport time. Last year my wife road the bus back to the CBR resort with our 4 year old on 3 separate nights (because he wanted to ride the "Bus Ride"). Despite waiting for the ferry, then walking to our car, I beat them back to the hotel by over 35 minutes on two of those nights, and by over 20 minutes on the other.

While outside the direct comparison of bus vs car, having a car also made it easy and quick to resort hop for ADRs, run to Target for the various and sundry things needed over a two week period, and take a day trip to the beach.

7. BlovesC

BlovesC home is where the Yeti is!

We're odd, but DH and I have always chosen Disney transportation over our own car. We drive to the parks so much that when we stay on property we want a vacationy/resort experience, and part of that experience is taking the buses. Then we can utilize the time on the bus planning our next move and just relaxing instead of driving.

However, the buses were a total fiasco during our stay last month at Saratoga Springs (which we got bumped to, it would NEVER have been our choice) and we wound up driving a few times.

Our next stay in January is at our first value resort. I'm curious to see how it will work out, and whether we'll stick to the buses or drive ourselves everywhere!

8. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Love the freedom of *not* driving, just relaxing, and let Disney do the driving!

9. WDWPooh

WDWPooh Mouseketeer

We never seem to be on the bus that long. Besides... I like the whole being dropped off at the gate deal by the bus ;)

10. THEJOEL

THEJOEL Excited & Overwhelmed

I agree.....we always take our car to the parks because it is much more efficient and if you stay on site parking is free. Last trip we took the bus our last day and waited well over 30 minutes just to board because they had to load 3 separate ECV passengers.

11. catne

catne DIS Veteran

we gave up on the buses years ago...way too many 60-75 minute bus experiences. And somehow, regardless of which resort we stayed at I swear our resort bus stop was always the longest walk, lol.

Even to MK we prefer driving. Can't beat always having a seat and A/C or heat set where you want it.

12. MrEVILdrPorkchop2u

MrEVILdrPorkchop2u DIS Veteran

We always drive from our resort. Because of being deployed so many times, I do not like small confined spaces. Driving just works better for our family.

13. tsmith76

tsmith76 Mouseketeer

You can get aaa passes cheap on eBay

14. fbarker

fbarker Mouseketeer

We are drivers also. We always drive down to WDW so we have our car with us. We love the convenience of having our own car....at the end of the day its always nice to be able to get into your own car and not have to deal with the masses. We have rarely found the drive back to resort to be bad and the traffic always moves fairly well, of course being from a major metropolitan area where I fight traffic everyday the traffic at WDW is a piece of cake. The only time we consider bus transportatioin is when visiting the MK but the car normally wins out because taking the monorail is part of the WDW experience.

15. kermiebudge

kermiebudge Mouseketeer

We always rent a car when we go- for the same reasons as other posters...freedom to do whatever! We've contemplated using bus service to MK, but have driven w/o complaints. The TTC can be a pain or be fun- depending on how you look at it. The kiddos love taking the ferry, so we often opt for that :)

16. hookedonears

hookedonears Louisianan

Disney Transportation is part of the Magic for us. Having a car may be quicker and afford more flexibility, but having to find parking places, walking across giant parking lots and just driving in traffic itself, takes a part of the magic away for us. The only car we rent is a Limo/Town car to pick us up at MCO and take us back again.

17. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

I like the AAA parking pass at DHS the most. But, if you drive in the middle of the day, I have been denied using the AAA pass by the parking CM several times especially at AK. It is frustrating. The first time I was denied I followed directions and parked where I was instructed. Then I walked by the AAA lot and saw lots of parking spaces. Another time I was denied parking there, I managed to work my to the lot anyway.

On the whole, we go every year, we have a car. I don't particularly like to drive but when we do we try to use or AAA pass. I think it works about 80% of the time. I agree that if you drive to the park for rope drop, you can always get AAA spot, but at that point it isn't much better than the other spots available.

18. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

When we drive, we usually take our car to AK and DHS. It does save time and it's a nice break from the buses.

We normally take the bus to Epcot and MK.

My reasoning is drinking.
    Someone can't drink if we are driving and that someone is usually me. I get tired of always having to be the driver so it's nice not to have to worry about having a designated driver for at least Epcot.

And MK is easier for us to get to if we take the buses. My husband hates dealing with the ferry or monorail.

When I go solo, I just take Disney transportation.

19. codfishy

codfishy Earning My Ears

Just leaving after an 8 day stay at CSR and enjoyed amazingly efficient and timely bus service. Max wait was 7 minutes with regular pick up within 5 minutes. Loved not having the hassle of driving, navigating and parking while on vacation. I have read that Coronado enjoyed superior bus service and I can now testify to it.

20. aubriee

aubriee <font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes

I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and have pretty much settled on the moderates as my resorts of choice. One of the reasons I love CSR so much is their great bus service. It has consistently been the best bus service of any WDW resort I stay at. (and I've stayed at Pop multiple times, AS Sports twice, AS Music, CSR many times, POFQ many times, PORS, CBR (twice), AKL twice, WL, BW, and YC)

However, my last two trips I have rented a car and loved having the flexibility to go resort to resort or offsite to the outlet malls and Universal. Plus the drive to and from the parks is so much faster and I like not having to wait in the bus lines at the parks or worrying if I'll have a seat or not. Getting in the car is so much more peaceful than listening to crying kids crammed onto a bus. Plus my mom has been with me, so we've been able to use her handicap tag, which gets her parking really close, except at MK. She also uses an ECV down there, so a rental car avoids all the glares and comments, when she has to load onto a bus.

21. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I'm sure you're aware that all AAA parking passes do state on them..not for sale and non-transferable. So, discussing how to get one on eBay is pretty much against board guidelines, not to mention against eBay rules.

In any case..I have had a car and I have used Disney transportation. I have no issue with the buses/boats/monorails. Yes, it can take a bit longer. But it has never taken me 60-90 mins to get anywhere!!! Well, there was that one time the monorail line got hit by lightning and was shut down, which made getting from Epcot to MK a truly miserable experience!! That did take us 2 hrs!!! Bus to TTC, then walk over to Polynesian to take their boat to MK. Huge crowds everywhere with that same thought due to the issues.

But in all reality??? It's up to each family to make a choice. For DTD, having a car is wonderful. Otherwise, I have seldom felt the need to drive. But, if others are renting cars, and driving to the parks??? More room on the buses for me!!!