Driving to WDW resort.....

Elliemay2

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are driving to our resort (YC). Should we use the disney transportation to navigate the parks or should we use our vehicle?

What is the best way to get to each park from YC?

Thanks!!!

No correct answer to Disney Transport vs. own car.

Some swear by one.

Some swear by the other.

YC to Epcot - walk

YC to DHS - walk or take boat

YC to MK or AK - drive or bus

The only park I would drive to would be Animal Kingdom. Use Disney transportation for all others.

We use Disney transportation exclusively, but everyone has their own preferences. At the YC we walked to Epcot, boat to HS and busses for AK and MK. We were not fans of the transportation at the YC due to sharing with so many other resorts so you may prefer using your car for AK. The MK is still better done by bus I think.

As others have said, a lot of this comes down to personal preference. We drive down, but rely on Disney transportation to go the 4 major parks. Since you'll be at the YC you can already walk to Epcot and DHS. I would use the bus to go to MK, since you'd have to park at the TTC. I would also use Disney transportation if your are planning to go to DTD. I think the construction has made that area a mess.

I use Disney transportation for all he parks.

I use my car to get to Disney springs and any resort that I'm going to eat at. Just quicker.

Another one for using the Disney transportation. We drive down, park the car and don't see it again until we leave. YC/BC is our resort of choice just so easy to get to Epcot. We walk to Epcot, take the boat to HS, usually walk through Epcot and take the monorail to MK and bus to AK. If we are already tired, we will take the bus to MK.

We park the car and never get back in it until its time to go. Disney transportation gets a lot of criticism but we've found it to be comfortable and reliable. Yes, it requires a little bit of patience at busy times but we like to keep the magic going. Dealing with traffic and parking is too real world for my Disney vacation.

We always drive from NY to Disney World. Once I get there, to be honest, I've had my fill of driving, and I am more than happy to, for the most part, let Disney do the honors. The exceptions to that are if we want to go outside of Disney property, such as Wal Mart, or Old Towne, or if we have an early morning breakfast ADR at one of the resorts (usually Chef Mickeys) then I will drive there, and use the valet parking so we can just leave the car there all day.

Hi! We are driving to our resort (YC). Should we use the disney transportation to navigate the parks or should we use our vehicle?

What is the best way to get to each park from YC?

Thanks!!!

We always have a car but never use it to go to the parks. For us, it's more relaxing to take Disney transportation. Plus we like to park hop and to me Disney transportation makes this easier. You don't have to think about where the car is and if you need to move it. That said, I agree it's a personal preference thing. The only time I recommend driving is when you go from resort to resort (say to eat out). If you take Disney transportation you have to switch buses at a park and that can end up wasting an hour or more of time.

• From YC you can walk (about 5-10 mins) or take a boat to Epcot. We always walked from Boardwalk (close to YC).
  • You can take the boat or walk to HS too, but the walk is about 1 mile and doesn't have a lot of shade. I decide based on the line for the boat. If the line is so long coming back from HS that you'd have to wait for a second boat I would walk if you're able. Otherwise the boat is nicer. Walking is almost always faster though unless you are a slow walker.
  • For AK and MK you'll want to take the bus.

Have fun!

Never stayed at YC, but we live 2.5 hours away. We use the car to go everywhere. I can get where we want to go A LOT faster than Disney transportation and being that everything is so close together, I don't feel the need to sit and wait sometimes 20-30 min or more for the bus to come. Also nice being able to go wherever whenever and not have to worry about getting to the transportation. Can have a cooler in the car or somewhere easy to drop off souvenirs or anything else you wouldn't want to drag around.

So my vote is easily for driving you're own car. Only way I wouldn't is if, like a couple have said, they drove 10 hours or so and are tired of driving.

If I was staying at BC/YC, BW, or Swan/Dolphin, I would use WDW transportation to all locations, except possibly AK or DTD. It is too convenient to get to Epcot or DHS to need to drive. In fact, I would probably just walk to DHS and Epcot from those resorts. If you drive for MK, you still have to park at the TTC and take the monorail or ferry to get to MK. It is not usually too bad of a trip, but it is usually a wash in transit time.

Everyone's different. Here's what I would do.

EP - Walk. Really short walk - one of the best things about staying in the EP resort area. I *think* you can take a boat if you need to save steps, but we never found it necessary.

DHS - Boat. We have walked it before. We found it to be a pretty long walk. The boat ride should be very short, although I *think* you will stop at some other resorts. The next best thing here for me would be to drive. I won't walk again.

AK - Drive. Without a doubt. It will be quicker than taking the bus. The only exception would be if you were going to have a few drinks or if you just did not feel like driving - then I would lean on the bus system. The bus system is efficient, but I have found driving to be quicker (if that matters to you - it may not).

MK - Bus. MK arrival is such a mess for anyone other than people using WDW transportation. IF you drive, you are supposed to park at the Ticket and Transportation Center in a BIG lot. Then you walk to either the monorail or the ferry and take those over to the MK. Then you walk from the ferry dock or the monorail station to the entrance. It's a convoluted process and adds time to the equation. By contrast, a bus will pick you up at the YC and drop you off at the MK bus stops, close to the MK gates. If you REALLY want to be in control, you can drive, but it's easier to take the bus.

Everyone has their own preferences and their own touring styles. One of the reasons that I like BC and BWI is that I can walk to Epcot, take the boat or walk to HS, walk to Swan and Dolphin and YC for dining and then just take the buses to MK and AKL (we spend little time in MK). We're OK with sometimes it taking a little bit of time to take transportation. I usually use those times to rest my feet and sit in the air conditioning. Others prefer to drive but I prefer to let others do the work on vacation, especially if I'm going to have a drink at dinner. Also, given the size of WDW, it's like navigating a city's highways. Not my vacation preference. It will depend on what you like. If you have a car, you can park it at the resort and decide if you want to take your own car, take the Disney transportation or take a taxi (which we do sometimes if we're not staying at GF and are going to V&A).

We always drive, and once we get there we pretty much use Disney Transportation exclusively. That's one of the things DH loves lol. The only time we don't is if we have an early ADR or if we're doing one of the parties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter