Driving to Denali NP

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by bobbiwoz, Sep 30, 2012.

1. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

We cruised Alaska in 1995, but didn't take the rail to Denali. We want to see Denali, but not take another cruise. I have not done any research yet, but I have heard of Al Can highway. Has anyone here done it? Does it get you to Denali? We live in Ohio, I do not know if we will fly to a starting point, or begin at home? Any suggestion about that. This will be in the summer of 2014.

Or do people here think it's best just to fly into Alaska and do the train excursion? We will be retired. I'm not a good walker, need a cane at times, now, and imagine I will at least continue to need one then.

We also have found trailer homes for rent that allow dogs. Can you take a pet with you through Canada. We are more likely to drive a car than the motor home, but we are considering that, too.

Any thoughts? How to plan the trip? Our cruise was fantastic, because it was a smaller ship, went into smaller ports, like Haines, as well as the usual, Skagway. We just don't think we need to see that again.

Bobbi:goodvibes