Driving licence,Hiring car

pauldolling

Mouseketeer
Since the DVLA has scrapped the paper part, has anyone been asked for the code that you can generate when hiring a car?

From what we are hearing they do not seem to be asking in Florida for the code at present, there are just accepting the photocard but as the code is now valid for 21 days it is well worth making sure you have a code just in case they have a change of stance.....

Can't guarantee this is the same for other rental companies, but our policy at Hertz is:

From June 8th when renting in the UK, Angola, Bahrain, Balearics, Botswana, Canaries, Croatia, Namibia, Oman, Portugal, South Africa, Sweden and Tunisia, all drivers with a UK licence (Great Britain) will need to provide evidence of any driving endorsements. This also applies if you have a paper licence that was issued before 1998.

And a quick chat with my floridian counterparts confirms they are not asking for anything other than photo licence and credit/debit card

Collected from Alamo at Newark and they only asked for photocard & CC.

Will report back on Avis once we collect from them at MCO next week however I didn't bother with a code as they haven't asked for the paper part in years!

I should have said that we were with Budget and only wanted credit card and photo part of licence.

I read many forums about Florida, so far not seen one post to say they have been asked for the code but as it's easy to do & free I have been on DVLA website and got a code for my collection next Thursday.

Collected car from Alamo at MCO on Friday, they did not ask for the code, just DL and credit card......

AVIS also send out with booking confirmation - no code required in Florida.

Collected at MCO with Alamo yesterday. They wanted the photo card licence and a CC even though we have already paid in full. The couple next to us were in the process of been refused a car as they didn't have a credit or debit card (I could hear the lady protesting they had already paid in full), but they didn't want to new DVLA number thingy. We had it but didn't need it.

Collected at MCO with Alamo yesterday. They wanted the photo card licence and a CC even though we have already paid in full. The couple next to us were in the process of been refused a car as they didn't have a credit or debit card (I could hear the lady protesting they had already paid in full), but they didn't want to new DVLA number thingy. We had it but didn't need it.

Standard practice that - they need to see the card or another in the renters name so they know its not an attempt to hire on a stolen card

I don't know how it turned out for them we were finished before them but they were claiming not to have either a credit or debit card with them so I doubt it went well.......

It's good to hear that no-one has needed the code but I still don't think I can bring myself to go without it!:goodvibes

Since we had the card type licences, we have never used the paper part - never even taken it with us. In fact we only show it on the way out of the parking garage to the person in the security check booth. That must be, what, 20 years???

Pam

Collected car from Miami airport this evening. Not interested in any codes. all he was interested in was upselling insurance and charging for a tank of fuel. I declined everything.
A couple of things:
1 we booked with Virgin Holidays with free additional driver. He wouldn't have it, only way was pay $10/day, nothing on my paperwork to say free driver. not really an issue as Karen would only drive in an emergency but like to add her if free.
2 no line for Std SUV's at Miami, it's 1 line for Int & Std. I chose a Chevy Equinox which I think is Std but not 100% sure.

Nice easy collection, upselling was not bad, he accepted no first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!