Driving in Southern California - A guide

Tink33

Disneyland Parade High Kicker
Since I spent several hours on the road today, I thought it would be nice to put together some suggestions for driving around Los Angeles/Orange County/San Diego.

Here are some things that I do before heading out:

1. Map directions on mapquest or google maps. I print these up before I get in the car. It is nice to know how many miles I will be on a freeway. I always double the projected time for a more accurate time of arrival.

2. Bring a map in case you need to take an unplanned route. Today there were brush fires on the side of the freeway and I needed to make a quick decision for an alternate route.

3. Bring water, drinks and snacks in the car. Be prepared for a long trip. Accidents and rush hour can make a 50 mile trip take hours.

4. Make sure you are well rested and attentive. You could go from 65 mph to 15 mph within a matter of seconds.

5. Try to avoid rush hour traffic. If you get stuck in it, get off the freeway and enjoy a meal or walk around.

Please add your own ideas.

If you are unsure where you are going, stay to the right

If you are unsure of driving on the freeways, stay to the right

Don't try and regulate traffic. The fact is, CA drivers in the left lanes will go much faster than the speed limit. Move to the right, and let them pass.

Most of our interchanges and exits are on the right

Our exits are named, though some have numbers. Get the name of your exit too

You can turn right on red lights, unless noted

You can u-turn at any stoplight, unless noted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter