Driving home to Toronto, hotel?

Cheerio

DIS Veteran
We have our route and hotels booked for our drive TO Florida but we aren't sure about the drive home via I77/79.
We'll be getting off the Fantasy on a Saturday about 9am, we really want to do the bulk of the driving on Saturday so Sunday is much lighter (DH works Monday night and wants a good chunk of time to unpack)

Realistically, how far north can we get say 12-14 hours up? I know it depends on traffic, weather etc - we will get a hotel on the road instead of pre- booking. TIA!

In 12-14 hours you might be around Summersville which is approx. the half way point(that's half way between Toronto and Orlando) Since you can't depart FL in the early morning hours you most likely will only make it to the half way point at best. So you won't be doing the bulk of your drive on day one.

Don't even try to book a hotel. Just stop when you are tired. If you make it to Summersville and think you can drive a little more be sure that you can drive several hours more as once you get north of there you will have a lot of driving to do before you get to civilization again.

Last trip we booked on the road from a spot with WiFi about 3-4 hours before we knew we wanted to stop.

Thanks! Yes we plan to book from the road vs booking ahead. We'll see how DH feels and go from there.

We always travel to Wytheville Virginia on our way home. There is a Best Western right off the highway and is very convenient. It is 10 hours of actual driving time and with a few breaks it about 12-13 hours

We always pick up one of the books at the rest stops which has all the 'offers' along a certain stretch of road. That way we can drive till we start to get tired and then either call or stop and get some wifi to be able to book. That way you are not committed to driver further than you want or stop before you are ready.

Last July driving home from Kissimmee to the Hamilton area we stayed over in Wytheville. This past March break I pushed the day 1 drive further and we stayed over in Summersville WV, lots of decent hotels right on the Mountaneer Hwy. Made for an easier day 2 drive home.

Last July driving home from Kissimmee to the Hamilton area we stayed over in Wytheville. This past March break I pushed the day 1 drive further and we stayed over in Summersville WV, lots of decent hotels right on the Mountaneer Hwy. Made for an easier day 2 drive home.

Planning on doing this drive in August--Hamilton to OKW.
Looking at leaving at 10am (DH works nights in TO) on a Saturday.
As I will be doing probably all the driving the first day, thinking about doing it with 2 nights stay on the road, that way, we can pull into OKW by noon on the Monday.
What route do you take to get there/back?
Thanks

As I will be doing probably all the driving the first day, thinking about doing it with 2 nights stay on the road, that way, we can pull into OKW by noon on the Monday.
Thanks
Yes, both times we took the 79/77 route, crossing over the Peace Bridge. I believe it's the most direct. Quite a few long stretches of 70mph and 65mph zones, just be careful with your speed especially through the Virginias and Carolinas.

Thanks

If hubby does nights, why not try driving straight thru. My wife wasn't too sure about it till we did in March. She said we will always do it now. Approx 25hours with good stops for food and leg stretches, kids play for 1/2 hour at a time. 21 hours total drive time. We would rather get there and have the first day as a down day, relax recharge there is better then on the road. IMHO...BTW we took I75 and left from Aurora. from what others say our drive might have been 1-1/12 hours more, but straight and stayed on same highway, lots of rest areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!