Driving from NJ to Disney

We drive from MD. I always use the I95 guide to get my hotel information before the trip. Here is the website.
http://www.i95exitguide.com/.

We've had good experiences with the Best Western's we've stayed in (in quite a few cities), and some negative ones with Days Inns (one canceled our stay, although guaranteed with cc, so we had nowhere to stay at midnight. We ended up at another that was the most disgusting motel experience ever).

My Aunt and Uncle travel down from NJ frequently, and always stay at Best Westerns. They are in one in Florence, SC right now, and have good things to say about it.

We drove from NWNJ (Sussex County) in September with our 4 month old DD. My biggest suggestion - DO NOT TAKE I-95! We take 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 and it is a much easier, more pleasant drive.

We stopped over at exit 94 (savannah area) in Georgia at a holiday inn express (nice rooms, free breakfast, $100 for the night) which was about 4 hours from there to WDW.

We will be doing it again in a few weeks.

We have driven to WDW via I95 and via I81, you would have to pay me a large sum of money for me to take I95 again ;)

We are from NJ too and this will be our 3rd trip to Disney, each time driving straight thru!! My husband does the majority (if not ALL) of the driving, his choice. We found that leaving at night around 8 or 9pm is the best- the kids are in their car seats w/ a pillow and a blanket and go to sleep. They will sleep all night and usually wake up around 6am. At that point we stop, get some bagels and juice, stretch, bathroom break then get back in the car and continue on!

We drove from NWNJ (Sussex County) in September with our 4 month old DD. My biggest suggestion - DO NOT TAKE I-95! We take 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 and it is a much easier, more pleasant drive.

We stopped over at exit 94 (savannah area) in Georgia at a holiday inn express (nice rooms, free breakfast, $100 for the night) which was about 4 hours from there to WDW.

We have driven to WDW via I95 and via I81, you would have to pay me a large sum of money for me to take I95 again ;)

I think we're going to do it this way, too, when we come down from PA. I've driven 95 from Maine to Florida many times in my life, and . . . no. Just, no.

tink_n_pooh said:

Does it add a lot of time?
I'm like 5 miles from the George Washington Bridge so I'd have to drive across NJ on 80 instead of hopping on the turnpike in 10 min.
That said, I'm so sick of 95-plus we'd be leaving at 4 PM and if we could avoid the whole NYC-DC rush hour it would be fantastic. How's the traffic- any areas where we may get caught in rush hour traffic?
My husband asked if there are lots of places to stop for the night on this route lie on 95, because we'd be driving with no hotel res., as we want to go as long as we can before stopping.

Thanks!

Hey NJ! My sister and I are looking into renting an rv and driving to wdw in November. Can an rv go on the auto train?

What works best for us in PA is to drive until we start getting tired and look for the nearest Hampton Inn and Suites. Usually somewhere in South Carolina. We end up grabbing one of those hotel coupon books at the state welcome centers on I-95.

Buy a book called Idrive95. Best book I have ever bought to drive to FL it has every exit and what is at every exit

Thank you for this! Never heard of it, and we drive from MA all the time. We do get the AAA books, but there's one for each state. We like to travel light, so one book would be great.

Coming from Virginia Beach, we take 95 until we get to Savannah/Richmond Hill area of Georgia and then stay the night. There are a ton of hotels right off the interstate. Then we do the last 4 hours or so in the morning. We don't go to the parks that day. It's either hang out in the pool or go to Downtown Disney.

Thank you for this! Never heard of it, and we drive from MA all the time. We do get the AAA books, but there's one for each state. We like to travel light, so one book would be great.

No problem its the best travel book I have ever bought.

I just bought a updated book.(my old one was from 08.) it is a life saver. I tell everybody to buy it!!!!! Some of the tolls are off. Like the Maryland into De is now $8.book says $5.

We leave from Long Island. We've driven down and stayed at exit 94 (Savannah) also. Clarion Inn. That exit has a lot of hotels and restaurants all walking distance from each other. The Clarion Inn was about $100 a night 2 years ago (Feb), hot tub and indoor pool. Older hotel but very clean with comfy beds. If we drove down again, we would stay there without hesitation.

We now take Autotrain down. It costs more than driving, but we consider it part of the vacay. Especially with the sleeper cabins. Waiting to be able to book for next year's visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter