DRIVING FROM MA to FL - WHAT TIME TO LEAVE?!?

DNBois

DIS Veterans & CBR Lovers!!!
DH and I are driving down to Florida for a much needed vacation; we need a lot of help deciding what to do. I want to leave in the afternoon (around noon) so we can get to NC around 10:00 pm or so, sleep, leave the next morning, very early, and get to Disney around 6pm or so - that way we can book an offsite room and get up early the next day to head to Disney! On the other hand, my husband does not want to drive in "unchartered territory" and wants to leave early morning (am) or so and drive until it gets dark but if we go my route, we will be there one day earlier. How have people driven down - any tricks - since we have never done this before, is better to stop somewhere and stay before it gets dark or does it really matter? Also, I believe there are alternate routes to take to Florida to avoid the busy traffic - does anyone know where I can find those? Thanks for any help you can give - much appreciated and much needed!

We either leave VERY early (3:00 - 4:00am) on the weekends or after lunch on the weekdays. (however, we are driving from ME. We are 1:45 minutes north of 495-95 intersection--I think it is in Amesbury?)

You will want to avoid traffic around the cities and major highway intersections. So depending where you are driving from, figure out how long it will take you to get to certain spots that would have heavy traffic (mostly weekdays during rush hours).

IMO-the worse areas are from NY (where ever you enter, we go over the TappenZee Bridge) through NJ. And ALL the bridges in Delaware and Maryland (only because I am not large bridge person with heavy traffic!!) If you leave in the afternoon, DC will not be a problem. If you leave early in the day on a weekday then you will need to consider DC (I am assuming you are driving 95). Once you are south of DC, you should not have any problems with traffic.

Check out these web sites if you are driving 95

http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm
http://www.i95de.com/
http://www.roomsaver.com

Also, if you have a AAA membership, you can print your own trip tik(sp). I would do this, even if you get one through AAA themselves, a day before your trip. It will give you updates on road construction and rest stop closings .

Good luck.......Lee

We've driven down twice, once last year and once the year before. Totally different experiences. The first time we left either Thursday or Friday. We were told by bil to leave around 7am to avoid NY's traffic. Think we were on the road by 7:30 and this worked fine (for NY anyway!) We hit traffic on the NJ turnpike, DC area and in the Richmond VA area. We got off at that point and had dinner and dressed the kids in pj's. Traffic had gotten better and we continued on. We wanted to be well into N. Carolina before stopping. We made it to Fayetteville late that night. Back on the road by 8 or so the next morning and we arrived late the next afternoon.

Last year we decided to leave on Saturday and travel over the weekend. What a difference! No traffic and we pretty much sailed through. We like to get a decent start and push as far as we can on the 1st day. Then hope for easy driving on the 2nd day so that we arrive before dinner.

BTW we are South of Boston probably 20-25 minutes to 95S (picking it up in Mansfield/Sharon area.) We get on 95S until we can pick up the NJ turnpike. We then get back on 95S and stay on it until we hit I4 in Florida. As far as driving in unchartered territory... It's not bad. You're on the highway so it's not like your trying to find you way on backroads. Most exits have motels right off, practically on the highway.

Also I noticed last night that somewhere on this site there is a guide of sorts to the lower states off 95. Gives exits for food, gas, hotel/motels. Even gave names, etc. Something I will print next time we make the drive! Sorry I can't remember exactly where it is right now, but probably under travel or driving or something! Good luck.

Hi from Norton! We've driven down the last three years. The first year we left at 5:30 am on a Thurs. and made great time, but we only were going as far as Alexandria, VA that day. The last two years we've left around 7 or 8 at night (wed or thu) and both times hit major traffic on 95 in CT. We also got snagged up on the Tappen Zee. Both delays were due to construction in several different places, so just as you got through one batch, you were slowed up by another. As this was supposed to be my sleep time while DH drove, I didn't find it restful. Hard to sleep while someone is going into full fits of road rage:rolleyes: Anyway, we've never had any problems once south of NJ. We are still trying to gauge our trip to see the best length of driving and stops for us. On the way home we do two 12 hour days, leaving WDW on Sat morning. And yes, we still get hung up on 95 in CT on the way home. This year we are really contemplating taking the Mass Pike to 84 and hitting CT that way.

Anyway, once you get through the northeast, traffic is fine. Depending on when we hit Richmond, we may go around, 295 I think? And we usually go around Jacksonville, FL too, they've been doing some funky construction there too. We really don't mind the drive if we can only find someway to skip CT!!!

Hope this helps.

Although it depends what day of the week you are traveling, I would not leave at noon on a weekday. If you do not get over the Tappen Zee bridge by 3:00 PM you may get stuck in the NYC afternoon commute. The Garden State Parkway is a parking lot until 7 PM.

If you leave by 10 AM, you will avoid AM commute in Connecticut, and the afternoon commute in New York. You may hit Baltimore/DC afternoon traffic, but it would be the tail end.

Happy Planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter