Driving From Airport to Port at Night

pigelet

Mouseketeer
Read on another post that it is not recommended to drive from the airport to the port at night. We arrive MCO at around 6:30 and have rented from Avis and are staying at the Radisson. Should we not do this? The post said it is desolate. Is it dangerous? HELP
May have to switch over to getting a car service. One that will make a stop at a store that sells beer.

We drove the beeline at night to the port on our May cruise. We were on 528 and missed the "Y" turnoff to Port Canaveral. We kept driving and wound up smack in the middle of the visitors center at Kennedy Space Center. Boy that space shuttle in the parking lot is hugh. We just drove back to RT 1 and continued south until we found the bridge to Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach. Not a bad ride, just dark, you have to really look for the small sign that vears off to the Port...and Cocoa Beach. We like to have a car so we can shop a little before we go to the pier.

Dave: printed out the directions. Thanks! Approximately how far on 528 do you travel before you hit the "Y"?

Pigelet, we just did the same thing in October. It was NOT a problem what so ever. We will always do it that way from now on. Don't worry, you will be fine. Also, Avis has a nice map at the check out. Shirley from the Perfect Gift gave me the directions. Here goes: When you leave the airport head straight to East 528-signs make it easy-you stay on east 528 where it will tell you to Cape Canaveral, Port Canaveral, Merritt Island. DO NOT TAKE THE ONE THAT SAYS CAPE KENNEDY, that leads you to Titusville and the Space Center. It is exactly 46.2 miles from the airport to the Radisson. You will have one toll between Orlando and the port which is 1.25. As you come into Cape Canaveral 528 becomes A1A, at this time you are about 1 mile from the Radisson on the right hand side. Have fun!

Since we wanted to leave home after DD finished school, we won't be arriving in MCO until 10:30 PM. We probably won't get to the Radisson at the port until midnight.

I usually don't like to drive in the dark in a strange place, but I saw the directions on Dave's DCL Tribute site. It looks like a straight shot from MCO to the port. Thanks for the tip about the fork in the road! I will be extra careful, especially that late at night.

With any luck DD should be asleep in the back seat by the time we arrive at the Radisson.

-Paul

Paul, quite honestly I am a real nervous Nellie. I did a lot of research because of it. The drive was so easy that I could have done it without my DH. Don't sweat it we did it so can you. We even made a grocery store stop first. Not a problem. After the cruise we rented again and drove to WDW. Pretty much everything is a straight shot and EASY. Your DW can read the directions as you drive. That's what we did and didn't have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter