Driving for the 1st time

jimmy339

Earning My Ears
I've never driven abroad before so was wondering if anybody had any tips for driving around Florida? Things that you wish you had known when you first drove over there or things I just need to be aware of. Thanks in advance

Download US maps for you sat nav, it makes life so much easier.
I shudder when I think of when I used to drive in down town Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orlando, Houston etc in the day's before Sat Navs. :-)

here's an official driving tips guide
http://www.flhsmv.gov/safetytips/pdfs/triptips.pdf

what you need to know :

- you can turn right on a red light, unless otherwise posted (no turn on red sign, on the signal or painted on the road, or right arrow in a red barred circle on the signal). If nothing is posted, you can turn right on red but need to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

- a multiway stop sign intersection is on a first stopped, first started basis. Right of way goes to the cars in the order they came and stopped at their stop sign.

- it is lawful to undertake (overtake from the right, which might be easier to deal with from a UK perspective than from a mainland europe perspective) but be aware than cars (and huge lorries) might overtake from both sides

most important. It is forbidden to stop at the entrance of disney to take pictures of the "gates" on the highways.

- In Florida, a state law requires to stop and let pedestrians cross at a marked crossing

- fines (speeiding for example) are doubled in a work zone when workers are present

- it is unlawful to have an open alcohol container inside the car (bottels need to be sealed, no "I'll finish that beer can when I arrive, I'll let it sit in the holder while I drive" that's a huge no-no)

When you're on disney property, don't trust your satnav, trust your eyes. Satnav get you lost most of the time.

I've never driven abroad before so was wondering if anybody had any tips for driving around Florida? Things that you wish you had known when you first drove over there or things I just need to be aware of. Thanks in advance

I'm also asking the same thing, as first time I will be driving properly there in September. I'm kinda looking forward to it though.

Someone suggested this website to me: http://kissimmee-us192.com/british/driving.htm

I think we're going to hire a SatNav... costs around £18 on eBay. Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-10-14-2...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5b0d5b69d3

IMO you wont need a sat nav, everything is very very well signposted! driving in the USA is much easier and enjoyable then in the UK :)

Last edited:
You have to stop at a junction, even if your way is clear.
You can't reverse park into a parking space so you're facing outwards (I think!)

99 0/0 of cars are Automatic & Petrol

STOP means STOP ...... not drifting........ STOP

Overhead Traffic Lights are IN THE MIDDLE of Intersections so you stop well before

You Will enjoy driving just use your Indicators & Side Mirrors >>>.. & Leave space ( as you normally do )

But other drivers WILL TAKE THAT SPACE ... and from either side ... because THEY are using CRUISE Control .

Relax & enjoy

Remember that road signs hanging overhead are for the intersection you are passing across and not the road you are driving on! That confused me and DH on our first (pre sat nav / internet) trip years ago :laughing:

Also, as navigator I still always remind DH when turning left 'remember to drive right over the lane to the far side' rather than turning into the oncoming traffic! Have seen that happen a few times over the years.

I'm sure you will be fine, just take it at your own pace :)

Yeah - just to echo - relax and enjoy

Driving over in Florida is much more relaxed than here in the UK and i always get the impression that locals forgive our little mistakes very well.

On our first trip, I drove for 2 weeks with no problems driving to Miami and back as well as around Orlando. On the final day, leaving the mall to go the the airport I turned the wrong way into two lanes of on-coming traffic. All of whom, stopped, smiled and waiting for the funny English guy to 3-point turn back into the correct direction. Even got a thumbs up from one guy.

For my two peneth - i prefer to use sat nav just as its one less thing to think about, once on Disney property, as said forget the san nav and watch Disney's excellent signs.

Be careful and enjoy

You have to stop at a junction, even if your way is clear.
You can't reverse park into a parking space so you're facing outwards (I think!)
You can reverse park in certain areas like hotels, downtown Disney, etc. it's just for the theme park parking they guide you in because one car pulls forward (facing out) and the second car follows (facing in). Usually later in the day that changes.

You can reverse park in certain areas like hotels, downtown Disney, etc. it's just for the theme park parking they guide you in because one car pulls forward (facing out) and the second car follows (facing in). Usually later in the day that changes.

Apparently you can get a ticket for reverse parking because Florida cars don't have front license plates. :drive:

Apparently you can get a ticket for reverse parking because Florida cars don't have front license plates. :drive:

Interesting. Never knew that.

Though, if you do rent a car sometimes the car from another state and most have front plates. So no worries then.

Hey Guys,
I thought I'd chime in as an American who's been driving since the late '80s... I've never heard of reverse parking being illegal even when I lived in a state with no front license plates (Pennsylvania). I googled around and did find that in the city of Sarasota Florida they passed a local ordinance making reverse parking illegal in public parking spaces.

My experience is the only thing you have to worry about with privately owned commercial parking lots is parking in a marked handicap spot, or in lots in congested areas you could have your car towed away if you are not a patron of the business that the lot belongs to. There will be signs posted indicating that they will tow your car if that's the case.

Hey Guys,
I thought I'd chime in as an American who's been driving since the late '80s... I've never heard of reverse parking being illegal even when I lived in a state with no front license plates (Pennsylvania). I googled around and did find that in the city of Sarasota Florida they passed a local ordinance making reverse parking illegal in public parking spaces.

My experience is the only thing you have to worry about with privately owned commercial parking lots is parking in a marked handicap spot, or in lots in congested areas you could have your car towed away if you are not a patron of the business that the lot belongs to. There will be signs posted indicating that they will tow your car if that's the case.
I'm also an American and I never heard of illegal reverse parking till now as well. Weird they'd have it.

I would recommend having a paper map as well just in case! When we got there the first night, my sat nav couldn't get a signal and it was starting to get dark so we just went for it without any map. Luckily I had visited (not driving) earlier that year and somehow retained pretty much the entire route in my head.

Also if you're used to driving in small cars, watch yourself with the larger cars. I drive a little hatchback in the UK and the Chevvie we got in Florida was so wide in comparison. I got beeped driving out of the airport as I veered slightly into the next lane. My friend in the passengers seat had to keep an eye on her side that I was staying inside the line! Luckily after that first evening, I had no problem after that.

Just take it slow, they drive a lot slower over there (probably all the tourists). You'll be fine :)

Another American chiming in on it being fine to park facing either direction (with the special exception of Disney lots!). This is 'Merica, for Pete's sake...Say it with me: "I do wut I want!"

My driving on your side of the Pond has been limited to France and Italy (and the latter I don't recommend without a tank and a firesuit), but I remember that at least in Italy, you could put on your "inside" blinker/indicator (towards the oncoming lane) to communicate that you were planning to overtake the car ahead at the next opportunity. The cars behind would give you "dibs" when a chance came, and the car in front would usually give you a break (slow down a bit) when the oncoming way was clear to help you get past. Isn't that sweet? Now, if you do that in the US, no one will understand your complex and nuanced method of signaling. They'll just think you're planning to make a hard left off the road, and will expect you to be slowing down/stopping imminently, and may even start to pass you on the outside. Causing such bewilderment to fellow roadsters, of course, as in all civilized lands, may well be repaid in rude looks or gestures.

Again, this is America. Feel free to point and shout like a caveperson! Except at police officers, no matter how cute your accent is. Here, they carry guns.

Have money for the tolls! If you don't have exact change then you have to go to the far right (normally?) to pay an attendant and that just adds time. No cards accepted, so even if you don't have a dollar bill, make sure you at least have some cash. We drove MCO to Port Canaveral, then PC back to Orlando and hit enough toll booths to learn this the hard way.

As a Canadian who lives in the UK and has driven all over, I find the American roads well-signed, and Orlando especially so. With 4-way stops, even if you're the first one there it's best to make eye-contact with other drivers. At least that's what I was taught in Diver's Ed back in high school :)

It's also no longer a thing to fill up the car with gas and then go pay, you have to pay at the pump or go give, just say, $20 to the attendant and then go back in if you're owed change. I'm not sure I've come across a petrol station the States in the past 5 years that has let you fill before some form of payment, so prepare for that (however, pay at the pump is pretty notorious for how people get their CC info stolen...so COVER as you enter your PIN, or use cash, which is what we do!).

We always use sat nav (downloaded onto our mobiles, we bring out little iPhone holder gadget with us when we travel) but it's definitely worth the passenger using a map, or pre-printed off directions at the same time.

Have money for the tolls! If you don't have exact change then you have to go to the far right (normally?) to pay an attendant and that just adds time. No cards accepted, so even if you don't have a dollar bill, make sure you at least have some cash. We drove MCO to Port Canaveral, then PC back to Orlando and hit enough toll booths to learn this the hard way.

that's correct. There are cash/receipt lanes which require the driver to exit the highway and use the separate lanes on the right.

Both tolls on 528 (north exit at MCO, bound for WDW/UOR) have attendants.
There is one toll on the south road (south exit) around Osceola Pkway (or somewhere around there) that has coins only or Epass (no attendant)

be aware that Tolls do not accept bills larger than $20

If you're going to the Miami area, some tolls are automated (no attendant, no coins) so check your car rental agency's prepaid toll program. Some charge ridiculous amounts if you don't opt in for their program, some have you automatically opted in
some like alamo only charge service fee for the days you actually use the automated tolls, other like avis will charge you for every day of your rental if you use at least one automated toll

so carefully check the policies and fees

It's also no longer a thing to fill up the car with gas and then go pay, you have to pay at the pump or go give, just say, $20 to the attendant and then go back in if you're owed change. I'm not sure I've come across a petrol station the States in the past 5 years that has let you fill before some form of payment, so prepare for that (however, pay at the pump is pretty notorious for how people get their CC info stolen...so COVER as you enter your PIN, or use cash, which is what we do!).

OMG I had forgotten about this. I hate this system! :rotfl:

It's like a guessing game which is not fun with a rental car you're not used to. Last time we went I guessed too low on the way to the airport and the rental company said they would charge me $60 unless I went out and filled it up completely. Big panic as I had to use their directions to the nearest station and hope we still had enough time to catch our flight.

Question: If you go in and say $20 to the cashier so you can fill up to the top but it only ends up being $15 - do you get your $5 back?

I always have to pay with cash so the card at pump isn't an option.

OMG I had forgotten about this. I hate this system! :rotfl:

It's like a guessing game which is not fun with a rental car you're not used to. Last time we went I guessed too low on the way to the airport and the rental company said they would charge me $60 unless I went out and filled it up completely. Big panic as I had to use their directions to the nearest station and hope we still had enough time to catch our flight.

Question: If you go in and say $20 to the cashier so you can fill up to the top but it only ends up being $15 - do you get your $5 back?

I always have to pay with cash so the card at pump isn't an option.

Yup, it's generally smarter to give too much because you just go back and they hand over whatever you're owed. If you don't give them enough and you have to fill it (like on returning it to the airport or wherever) then you have to back in to give another, say, $10 and keep going. We usually ask what the car is likely to cost if on almost empty (given the days gas prices) and then guesstimate from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter