Driving and Breweries and the DIS megameet ... oh my! *new Aug 3rd ... just back - a quick review*

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
Part 1: Introductions

Hi everyone!

now you say "Hi Phil!"

I finished up my trip report for my trip to Hong Kong Disney (see my signature for link if you are interested) and thought that it might be good to use a pre-trip report to lay out some more details for our (shortly) upcoming trip to Walt Disney World next month.

So who are we? Well, I am Phil, my wife is Judi, and our three kids are Olivia (7), Peter (4), and Emma (nearly 2). Here we all are in Disneyland last October (my TR from that trip is also in my signature):

Family%20pic.jpg

We weren't necessarily planning on a trip to Disney World this year - and certainly not in the heat of July - but then the DIS Unplugged team announced they were going to do a Mega Meet to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the podcast and that seemed like a good excuse.

When they first announced this and we started considering the trip I took a quick look at exchange possibilities for our time share and saw they had a 2 bedroom available at Whyndham Bonnet Creek that would cover the time needed. As we always wanted to try staying there we decided to book it and thus our summer vacation plans were set.

We then found out that some relatives from Judi's side would be down in Florida staying at the beach near Boca Raton where she has other family and we thought we would spend a few days there as well.

When thinking about getting there and knowing what a pain it was to fly to California last October with 3 kids (well, not the flight itself which they were pretty good for but more getting 3 kids and all our stuff and 3 car seats through security, etc.) I proposed we road-trip it ... but with the idea that we would break up the drive down and back over several days ...

... and target those breaks to be around craft breweries I'd like to visit ;)

So overall, there are 4 parts to our vacation:
- Driving down - July 14 - 19
- In Deerfield Beach - July 19 - 22
- At Disney - July 22 - 29
- Driving home - July 29 - August 2

Here is an overview of the travel plans:

Map of road trip new.jpg

So should be fun! I have most of the travel hotels set and finished up booking FP+ for the trip this morning ... but would love and feedback on the itinerary

Also, any tips people have for long road trips with little kids will be greatly appreciated!

TTFN

Woot! First one here! <3 can't wait to read all about it, sounds like so much fun to do the road trip fun! I hope you plan some really awesome things for the way home bc that drive will be the worst! ;) lol

Wow, that is quite the trip (and drive) you have planned! I'd love to do a driving trip to WDW some day, but the whole 24-hours-each-way thing from here (w/o stops) is holding me back. I do love to drive and see new parts of the country, though - and we always fly over the ones between here and Florida, so that would be cool. Good luck with the long drive and the kids. Only tip I can think of is from reading @FreezinRafiki 's road trip TRs a few years back: giant jugs of cheese balls. :rotfl:

Hi Phil!
Tagging along!
July at WDW is tough! A DIS meet makes it worth it.
Wish we could go. I look forward to your reporting on the DIS meet and your travels.
Keith and I will do somethin similar when we take a road trip to Disneyland and sight see along the way. We're on the east coast so we'll take a week or two to drive there.
For traveling with the kids, a giant bucket of cheese balls sounds like a good idea. When the kids act up you just chunk some cheese balls at them.
We would alternate activities with our kids. Games, singing, watch a movie, coloring/reading/video game, etc. Every 30 minutes or so, depending on how they're doing, we'd stop the current activity and watch a movie. We never had to use the ejector button for any of the kids so it worked out pretty well for us..

Yay! I'm in! I still struggle with keeping up with TR's on here thanks to the new dis system I'm not used to, but I'll do my best!
I can't say I have any tips since whenever I roadtripped with kids, I was the kid...lol..I colored a lot..played a lot of eye spy? lol

"Hi Phil!!" :)

Looks like you've got it planned nicely, and it's going to be about as relaxing as a trip with 3 adorable crumb snatchers can be. :) Thanx for taking us "along for the ride", I'll be here! :)

Hi Phil!

Following along from your HKDL and DLR trips.

We did a 3 week road trip in Western Canada in 2010. I got fed up with the bickering in the back of the car. My DD was particularly grumpy on the trip and complained about getting out the car when we stopped at a particularly stunning view "it's only another mountain and lake!". Anyway that was the holiday when SMORG points were invented. SMORG ( Seldom Moany Often Really Good) points were awarded on every journey and particular behaviours praised. All the points accumulated for a grand prize to be given when we arrived home. A new scooter each was a small price to pay for improved behaviours and my saved sanity. Saying that we haven't been on a road trip since. Good luck!

Hi Phil!

We did a 3 week road trip in Western Canada in 2010. I got fed up with the bickering in the back of the car. My DD was particularly grumpy on the trip and complained about getting out the car when we stopped at a particularly stunning view "it's only another mountain and lake!". Anyway that was the holiday when SMORG points were invented. SMORG ( Seldom Moany Often Really Good) points were awarded on every journey and particular behaviours praised. All the points accumulated for a grand prize to be given when we arrived home. A new scooter each was a small price to pay for improved behaviours and my saved sanity. Saying that we haven't been on a road trip since. Good luck!
Wow - genius!! :worship:

Make sure you take the Bypass in ATL!!! Doesn't matter what the traffic googles says... Always take the bypass! There's a Macon bypass, too, I believe that saves you 7 miles (475).

Nice Phil. Just a comment about your drive routing:
  • I see you'll be heading through DC either coming or going (don't know which route you'll take when) but be aware of the DC "rush hour" which could impact that part of the drive. Especially going south you'll find that traffic backs up on I-95 even south of DC in the Lorton VA area due mostly to construction.
  • Driving through Richmond you have the option of taking a peripheral route instead of going right through the city. Depending on the time of day, this could be a good thing. However, if you hit it a mid-day you shouldn't have any problem sticking with I-95.
  • Looks like you'll be spending the night in Savannah. We love that city!!! If you can spare the time, do a little exploring of the city and consider dinner at the Olde Pink House. Val & I have enjoyed that place every time we've stopped.
  • The stop in Asheville NC looks very interesting. Val & I have made several planned trips there, but still haven't yet gone. I'll look forward to your report.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun summer plan.
We drove from Long Island, NY to WDW one year but we did the drive in one day going down. Coming home we stopped overnight.

Joining in to hear all about the fun you have planned! We adore Savannah. What a nice long vacation you're taking! DH and I have discussed driving down to WDW on occasion but we always end up flying. Even though our boys are older than your kids, the idea of driving that far with them is not a pleasant one. And unlike @Rozz I believe we'd definitely end up using the ejector button........but yay for you for doing it :thumbsup2

Hi everyone!

Hi Phil! :wave2:

I saw this pop up in the boards and I was like, I didn't know Phil had a PTR?!

Then I realized you started it today, and I am confident again in my sanity. So thanks for that :P

but then the DIS Unplugged team announced they were going to do a Mega Meet to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the podcast and that seemed like a good excuse.

It sure does sound like a good excuse. Then again. Anything is a good excuse to go to Disney. But that does sound like it'll be a great time! We really want to try to make it to a DIS event some time, but so far it's just never worked out.

... and target those breaks to be around craft breweries I'd like to visit ;)

You sure do know how to sell a road trip :rotfl:

Amber will definitely need to find a different selling point if she ever plans on convincing me to do a road trip to Disney :crazy2:

But for beer lovers, I'm sure it'll be a great way to break up the drive (no drinking and driving!)

Hiiiii Phil! Glad you've started a PTR! :banana:

This certainly is a long trip you have planned! The idea of driving to Florida always makes me feel a little sick :laughing:, but it sounds like you have some nice stops planned to break it up!

Woot! First one here! <3 can't wait to read all about it, sounds like so much fun to do the road trip fun! I hope you plan some really awesome things for the way home bc that drive will be the worst! ;) lol

yeah for being first!!! I am hoping the road trip part turns out to be fun! I think it will be for the most part but also suspect we will hear chimes of "this is taking forever!!!" from the backseat at times as well

I agree about the drive home being tougher - that was definitely the case the last time we drove down that the way down wasn't so bad but by about 1/2 way back I was ready for it to be over.

At least for me I have one of the breweries I am most excited about planned for the trip home - but I do need to make sure there are things to keep the kids excited as well!

Wow, that is quite the trip (and drive) you have planned! I'd love to do a driving trip to WDW some day, but the whole 24-hours-each-way thing from here (w/o stops) is holding me back. I do love to drive and see new parts of the country, though - and we always fly over the ones between here and Florida, so that would be cool. Good luck with the long drive and the kids. Only tip I can think of is from reading @FreezinRafiki 's road trip TRs a few years back: giant jugs of cheese balls. :rotfl:

I hope it works out - I am excited also just for a longer trip and to be away from the office for a while - it has been a long time since we have done a vacation longer than 1 week

I hear good things about this part of the country from people that have driven through it so I am excited about that.

thanks for the team of checking out @FreezinRafiki 's TR and will have to considering getting one of those giant jugs of cheese balls

Hi Phil!
Tagging along!
July at WDW is tough! A DIS meet makes it worth it.
Wish we could go. I look forward to your reporting on the DIS meet and your travels.
Keith and I will do somethin similar when we take a road trip to Disneyland and sight see along the way. We're on the east coast so we'll take a week or two to drive there.
For traveling with the kids, a giant bucket of cheese balls sounds like a good idea. When the kids act up you just chunk some cheese balls at them.
We would alternate activities with our kids. Games, singing, watch a movie, coloring/reading/video game, etc. Every 30 minutes or so, depending on how they're doing, we'd stop the current activity and watch a movie. We never had to use the ejector button for any of the kids so it worked out pretty well for us..

believe me, July is not my first choice though I guess we need to get used to it as it will be harder to take my oldest out of school as she gets up there in grade and I am scared about the crowds for Christmas or Spring break

I like the idea of alternating things - definitely will have to play it by ear as to how their mood is but I think for when they are up for games and activities we should promote that and then augment with videos, etc.

Yay! I'm in! I still struggle with keeping up with TR's on here thanks to the new dis system I'm not used to, but I'll do my best!
I can't say I have any tips since whenever I roadtripped with kids, I was the kid...lol..I colored a lot..played a lot of eye spy? lol

Welcome Katt! We do a lot of eye spy though my middle kid is still getting used to spelling and what things start with plus he cheats ...

... we were playing the other day and he said he spied something green when in the end what he was thinking of was brown and I asked him about this and he said "to win you have to cheat!" .... not sure where he learned that from!

"Hi Phil!!" :)

Looks like you've got it planned nicely, and it's going to be about as relaxing as a trip with 3 adorable crumb snatchers can be. :) Thanx for taking us "along for the ride", I'll be here! :)

Hi Heidi!!!

yeah, we shall see - We do the drive out to my in-laws, which takes us 5-6 hours, fairly often and they survive so I am hoping keeping the days to about 6 hours max of driving will work out ok

"taking us "along for the ride"" ... I see what you did there!

Hi Phil!

Thanks for coming over from the HKDL TR!!!!

I love the idea of the SMORG or something like that to promote good behavior - sometimes that works really well with the kids. I think for the ride home that could help a lot as on the way down we have Disney World as motivation for good behavior but the way back might be tougher! Thanks for the idea!

Make sure you take the Bypass in ATL!!! Doesn't matter what the traffic googles says... Always take the bypass! There's a Macon bypass, too, I believe that saves you 7 miles (475).

Thanks Mike! Definitely a few areas we are worried about traffic (around DC and the ATL area) - I hope that going for Athens rather than Atlanta as our brewery stop will help. We plan to use Waze to help with this, but we shall see. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when comparing proposed routes

Nice Phil. Just a comment about your drive routing:
  • I see you'll be heading through DC either coming or going (don't know which route you'll take when) but be aware of the DC "rush hour" which could impact that part of the drive. Especially going south you'll find that traffic backs up on I-95 even south of DC in the Lorton VA area due mostly to construction.
  • Driving through Richmond you have the option of taking a peripheral route instead of going right through the city. Depending on the time of day, this could be a good thing. However, if you hit it a mid-day you shouldn't have any problem sticking with I-95.
  • Looks like you'll be spending the night in Savannah. We love that city!!! If you can spare the time, do a little exploring of the city and consider dinner at the Olde Pink House. Val & I have enjoyed that place every time we've stopped.
  • The stop in Asheville NC looks very interesting. Val & I have made several planned trips there, but still haven't yet gone. I'll look forward to your report.

Thanks for all the thoughts!!

We are very aware of DC traffic - we will be passing it on Saturday morning so I hope that helps minimize things a bit

The Richmond area might be a bit tougher as that will be Monday morning, but hopefully we can minimize things by using Waze to go the best way, but we shall see. Definitely will want to allow for some extra time for that stretch

I am hoping we get in time to Savannah to do a historic carriage ride of the city as I think the kids would like that. I've gotten a few suggestions on places to eat there with Vic's on the River being the suggestion for being good with kids, but I will keep the Old Pink House in mind too - looks to be near where we are staying

Asheville is the place, from a Brewery standpoint, that I am most excited about!

Sounds like a fun summer plan.
We drove from Long Island, NY to WDW one year but we did the drive in one day going down. Coming home we stopped overnight.

thanks for joining!

We've driven down twice in the past - once was when Judi and I were in college and we went on spring break and we drove straight down and back. We did it once before when Olivia was young and we just stopped for the night quick each way ... the way down was ok, but we were dragging on the way home so hoping taking more breaks will be better ... but we shall see

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter