Driving 20 hours.. Tips Please!!!

Thanks for all the advice! We are going to try to avoid the major cities by taking I81 down from new York and connect back onto 95 in Florida

We have driven I84 to I81 fromCT. for 12 years now. I81 to 66 to to route 17 to 95 you come out just under DC. and do 295 if there is traffic from Richmond Then 95 the rest of the way. 17 moves along pretty good and is a beautiful rural route for about an hour.

Good luck

DH and I use, both Google maps and Waze on a road trip, Google maps for the traffic flow and we adjust as we go, and Waze, for police, red light cameras, and vehicle's stop on the side or the road or and accident that just happened.
The traffic info on Google maps comes from Waze.

Is it really that much cheaper to drive? I calculated our 2 day drive from Detroit to WDW and with gas and hotel round trip it was only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than flying for 2 hrs. Totally worth the money to avoid 4 days of driving. Maybe we are just lucky to have a lost cost airline like Spirit Air (although we hate them, but can't beat the price) in our area, but I'd worry about going completely stir crazy spending 2 full days in a car only to have to turn around and do it all over again in a week or so! But that's just me, ymmv!!

Is it really that much cheaper to drive? I calculated our 2 day drive from Detroit to WDW and with gas and hotel round trip it was only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than flying for 2 hrs. Totally worth the money to avoid 4 days of driving. Maybe we are just lucky to have a lost cost airline like Spirit Air (although we hate them, but can't beat the price) in our area, but I'd worry about going completely stir crazy spending 2 full days in a car only to have to turn around and do it all over again in a week or so! But that's just me, ymmv!!

It would be about $600 for us to fly, and $200 for gas both ways, we are packing all of our own food for the ride and staying with relatives instead of a hotel in Virginia so we figure we will be saving enough to make it worth while, we also enjoy driving as its just the two of us and we don't have any kids with us for the long car ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter