Dream Deluxe later vs. Moderate now

qbmillar

Mouseketeer
My family and I went to DW for the first time in 2011 and stayed at Coronado Springs...on the way home we immediately started talking about our next trip!
We said that we would love to stay at Wilderness Lodge and were looking to go the end of 2014.

I recently got a pin # in the mail and now I am really itching to go back this year to take advantage of this deal. :goodvibes However, the money isn't there for us to go back the way we had originally planned. Would it be better to wait and do the vacation that we had dreamed of next year or go this year but stay instead at a Moderate or Value resort? DD is 4 is that makes a difference to anyone. Thanks for any input!!

Go now! Life is short :-)

Moderates and Values are still great and there are a lot of things you can do to stay on a budget.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would wait and go when I can stay where I really want to stay. Our first stay onsite was a mod (CBR) and while we had a great time and loved the resort, the following year we tried a deluxe and haven't stayed anything but deluxe since. With that said, we have had 2 great stays at WL and the resort is awesome. You will get many different answers and suggestions, but I am one who will put a trip off and/or lessen our trips by a day or two if I have to in order to stay where I want, so my vote is to wait until next year and stay at WL. Good luck.

I think the moderate resorts are just fine and if I had a pin and could do it I would definitely go! We will be staying deluxe the first time this year ( I rented DVC points) and am wondering how I will like it....we will see. However, we did stay at POR and loved it so I would definitely go!!!! :)

If it was my "dream" trip I would wait. This way you want be thinking when you get there, "if only we had stayed at WL."

I would do it now....with no regrets! As PP said, Life is short. Last year we went and stayed at AKL..this year we are doing POR because we are always at the parks, so spending the extra money on a deluxe just didn't seem worth it to us. If it were a difference of only $200, we would do it.....but it would be $1000 to $1500 more for a deluxe that accomodates a family of 5! Good luck with your decision!!!!

speaking from experience, go for it.

our first trip was around 7 years ago and we were not sure we could ever afford to go back, but we loved it. about 1.5 years later, a good offer came out and we realized if we reeeeally scrimped and saved and stayed as cheaply as possible, we could go back. it meant a lot of sacrifices and it was a really big decision at the time. we chose to go and i do not regret that trip one bit, as much as we sacrificed to go. by the time another year had gone by, we were surprisingly able to afford a deluxe and so we went yet again... and have gone every year since.

now that we have stayed in deluxes the last four trips it would be hard to go back to a value or mod... but going from a moderate the first trip to a value the second trip was no problem at all. and i have to say, even now, if the only way we could go back would be at a value, we would do it!

My family and I went to DW for the first time in 2011 and stayed at Coronado Springs...on the way home we immediately started talking about our next trip!
We said that we would love to stay at Wilderness Lodge and were looking to go the end of 2014.

I recently got a pin # in the mail and now I am really itching to go back this year to take advantage of this deal. :goodvibes However, the money isn't there for us to go back the way we had originally planned. Would it be better to wait and do the vacation that we had dreamed of next year or go this year but stay instead at a Moderate or Value resort? DD is 4 is that makes a difference to anyone. Thanks for any input!!

We had almost the exact same dilemma! We fell in love with WL on our last trip and said we would save money so we could stay there next time. Well, now we are itching to go this November and are struggling with the WL decision. We normally stay moderate and the cost between CSR vs. WL is so significant, we are trying to determine if it's worth it. We are definitely leaning towards CSR to save the money and be able to go sooner.

I say go for it now. I have stayed at WL and most of the moderates. We stayed at pop about 5 years back and that is where we stay know. We can go for longer and the room just isn't that important to us.

I would go now. There is no guarantee that next year you would be able to go - finances could change to the extent that a WDW trip of any kind isn't feasible by then... Or you could still not have the money for a WL trip... Having just dealt with a significant family illness and loss (all in EXACTLY 12 months from healthy to the end) - life is short. Go. Enjoy. Don't put things off for the dream of "maybe" - if it's in the budget and you can do it? DO IT. I've stayed at mods and deluxe - there's not enough difference to make you feel like you're missing out.

I would say go now. :) 4 is a great age in the parks!! We always stay value though, my boys don't care where we stay and I'm happy as long as we are at Disney!

Go now and stay at FQ perfect! The pool would be great the size of the resort is wonderful. We stay Deluxe and when we stay moderate the only place I will stay is FQ. But I will say this the Riverside themed rooms with Prncesses would also be great for her as well....

Like a previous poster said one never ever knows what next year holds if you can swing it now do it. A 4year old doesn't know the difference between deluxe and moderate all they know is they are at Disney with mom and dad and are having FUN.:cool1:

while your child is young you should do value. the themeing is sooooo Disney!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it! I think we have decided to seize the oportunity and go this September:yay: However, I want to change it up a bit and ty a new Mod resort. Right now I am leaning towards POR or POFQ...is there one that would be better for a DD? Maybe a royal room at POR??

Have you considered renting points from a DVC member to stay in a studio at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge? May come out to about the same price as staying in a moderate. Check the DVC Rent/Trade Board.

I would go for POR and book a royal room. I'm sure your DD would love that. The grounds there are really beautiful.

And I agree book now and stay moderate. You never know what next year will bring. Take advantage and do it when you know you can.

Another vote for now!

I would rather go to WDW more frequently and stay at a moderate then go less frequently. We are the type of people that really like to enjoy our resort, but no necessarily the room. We have stayed at CSR and CBR and POR/POFQ just does not appeal to us. I would have no problem to stay at CSR again, but for right now we are enjoying the deluxes (ending soon with DS16 just 1 1/2 years away for college).

We are faced with a similar situation. We stayed at the Poly on our 1st trip 3 years ago, and LOVED it. We planned to go back again 2 years later. We never did, and it will be 3 years this September. So, we decided to change our plan, and stay at a Mod this September. I am hoping for free dining plan (they have been offering that every fall for many years now), and that saves my family of 5 over $1,000. We are even extending our trip to 11 days (and it will still be significantly cheaper than a week at a deluxe).
I regret "waiting for the deluxe", and missing out on a good trip last year. The kids could care less where you stay. A trip to Disney (regardless of where you stay) will create priceless family memories. Your DD is at a good princess age right now too.
Maybe we will see you at POR this September!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter