Downtown Disney Night before cruise

baileyhouse

baileyhouse
Hello,
We are sailing on the Fantasy 3/21 and are flying into MCO the night before cruise. We arrive around 5:45 and have decided to head over to DTD for dinner and spend the night. I am traveling with my husband and 4 kids (10,9,7,5) and I thought that would be a good plan - grab dinner, walk around and stay at a hotel close by. Wake up casually, grab breakfast over at DTD and then head to the Port for 12 arrival time.

My question is this...what hotel is closest to DTD entrance? One of the WDW properties or The Hilton Orlando? Happy to walk or take transportation - whichever is quicker.

Also, what do you think of this plan?

Thank you!

Hello,
We are sailing on the Fantasy 3/21 and are flying into MCO the night before cruise. We arrive around 5:45 and have decided to head over to DTD for dinner and spend the night. I am traveling with my husband and 4 kids (10,9,7,5) and I thought that would be a good plan - grab dinner, walk around and stay at a hotel close by. Wake up casually, grab breakfast over at DTD and then head to the Port for 12 arrival time.

My question is this...what hotel is closest to DTD entrance? One of the WDW properties or The Hilton Orlando? Happy to walk or take transportation - whichever is quicker.

Thank you!
The Hilton is the closest to DTD. It's within easy walking distance to the Market Place entrance.

Port Orleans has the boat that goes down to DTD too. You have lots of options .

Hello,

Thank you!

I'm getting in a few hours earlier for my 3/29 cruise. I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, which isn't far from DTD. I plan to go to DTD for dinner. I decided to rent a car for several reasons. I only have 2 of us & to me it makes even more sense, if you are 4 or 5 people. First of all, you're not at the mercy of shuttles, but you can travel where & when you want. Price wise, Disney wanted $35/pp each way to the cruise. My car cost just over $100 ( a little more for the size car you'd need)& gives me my independence. I will pack my carry ons for the night at the hotel + 1st day cruise until my room is ready. Rest of my luggage stays in the car from when I pick up the car until I drop my luggage at the port, at which time I will return my rental car nearby. You could drop the wife, kids, & luggage & return the car on your own. To me it makes sense doing things this way. Yes, you have to deal with dropping the rental off at a busy return place & catch a shuttle back to port, but that's a small price to pay. Besides, since you aren't flying in the day of the cruise, you'd be carting your luggage with you until the following AM anyway.
As far as hotels, there are many decent ones within 10 minutes of DTD that are very affordable. I stayed at a Sheraton a few years back that wasn't bad. Had a decent pool with slide for the kids & breakfast the next AM was included.

why do you need a hotel close? i'm just wondering because every wdw hotel has transportation to dtd. i would look for a hotel that would suit you and your family and not worry about the distance unless there is something i don't understand in your needs. with your children being so young there are a lot of hotels that would keep them entertained in the morning just by walking around and looking.
as to breakfast at dtd i'm not sure what is actually offered but i don't think there is a lot. maybe someone else can answer this for me. i would think your hotel would be a better place for that.
as to staying and going to dtd for the evening, its a great idea. we like to do that as it always gets us excited. a mini start to our vacation.
have fun on your holiday.

just be AWARE - DTD is a chaotic mess with all the construction going on. Trust me, this is NOT an understatement!

The Hilton would be a nice choice as you can easily walk. Saratoga Springs is walkable also.
DTD transportation by car and/or bus right now is a mess.
POR and Old Key West do offer boat transportation, but they do not run when it is windy.

You mentioned having breakfast at DTD before going to the port. None of the restaurants are open for breakfast. But, there are options at the Hilton itself and obviously almost unlimited options on the way to the port.

We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter the night before our cruise in November, so that we can take the boat to Downtown Disney. It's pretty affordable.

We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter the night before our cruise in November, so that we can take the boat to Downtown Disney. It's pretty affordable.

We have done this too for our cruises out of Port Canaveral. We take the boat to DTD the evening before for dinner (make sure to make reservations). My DD loved the pool the morning before we left on DCL transportation to the port.

You mentioned having breakfast at DTD before going to the port. None of the restaurants are open for breakfast. But, there are options at the Hilton itself and obviously almost unlimited options on the way to the port.

Earl of Sandwich, WolfGang Puck Express, Starbucks, House of Blues are all open for breakfast. The Hilton also has a 24 hour Marketplace store that serves Starbucks and many food options. There is also a restaurant open for breakfast and on Sundays in a character meal.

I'll be on that 3/21 as well, crossing my fingers for some great weather!

Like others have stated, DTD is a wreck right now in terms of transportation, so walking is definitely the best choice if you can.

I like your idea of dinner then breakfast, you will get to see all the craziness and crowds in the evening and then the calmness and solitude of the morning, just make sure you get reservations. After all the waiting from the travel and airport transfers, you probably won't feel up to standing in line for 1/2 hr (or more) for a table.

Earl of Sandwich, WolfGang Puck Express, Starbucks, House of Blues are all open for breakfast. The Hilton also has a 24 hour Marketplace store that serves Starbucks and many food options. There is also a restaurant open for breakfast and on Sundays in a character meal.

I apologize for any misinformation. When we were there in November, nothing at the marketplace was open at 8am except Starbucks and they did not have breakfast sandwiches.

We are booked at The B Resort & Spa. It is within walking distance and mousesavers had a GREAT deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter