Downtown Disney -- Beware

We were staying at POFQ for spring break this year and took the boat to DTD to eat at Raglan Road. It was no problem at all. We had done this on previous visits however and did not realize that the boat dock had been moved so that it does not let you off in the front of Rain Forest Cafe, but around the side of it. You then have to walk around behind the restaurant and to a main DTD entrance making the walk a little longer just to get into DTD itself. The good thing was that there is a new brindge across to the area with Raglan Road so you don't have to walk around the semi circular shoreline to get to the other side. You may want to look at a current map.

I haven't really had much trouble parking in the garage. I love how there are lights over each space telling you if the space is empty, that way you don't have to go down each row. Once parked you can take elevators or escalators right down to the walkway by Planet Hollywood. My trouble has been out on the road just trying to turn in. Several times I sat at the traffic light in front of the new garage for 9 cycles through the turn signal. :scared: Then I realized I could turn back at the first entrance near Cirque and access the garage from the other end. That was a bit better. But definitely allow a lot of extra time if you have dining reservations or movie tickets.

We are staying onsite and will be using the bus service - do they still have 2 stops or is it just the one now due to the construction?

the longest bus ride we had a few weeks ago by far was to DTD. I guess they were traveling different ways to avoid traffic. We did direct from Animal Kingdom Lodge to DTD.

We've taken a cab there then bus back with no issues and during our most recent visit at the end of January, we strictly took the bus to and from CSR and it didn't take long at all. We won't even attempt to drive to DTD anymore because of all the traffic.

We didn't see the appeal of DTD and will probably not bother ever going there again. So many shady people, the same merchandise as in the parks, I can see a Lego store here at home, and none of the restaurants are unique to Disney. There was nothing special about it to us. We didn't even feel like we were in Disney, except for all the merch. We'd rather just relax at our resort if we have a non park day in the future.
You do bring up an interesting point, which is all the new construction basically makes this into a fancy mall.

I find the boat ride to DTD from POR to be quite relaxing, AND it avoids all that mess :)
One of my favorite things about POR/POFQ. :) We will sometimes take the boat to DtD, get a sundae at Ghiradelli's and head back. :flower1:

Well it was unique before with all the Disney inspired (and managed) stores, restaurants, and bars. Have you ever seen the original backstory for Downtown Disney? Literally if they released that today I'd be so excited about it.

Has anyone ever seen it as anything BUT a mall?:confused3

Agreed. Downtown Disney, besides being an apparent disaster zone to some people, has always been a free and fun experience for me. I go always on a day I know I won't be at the parks, and usually towards the night. I understand that the crowds may get to some people, but how is it any different than crowds in a park? In fact, it should be better because you aren't trying to run to make your FP+ time across the park. For now, if you have dinner reservations just know to arrive earlier than usual, or eat at the many other options on Disney property.

But Disney is offering a free experience for guests of their resort. Take it at a leisurely pace and I don't think you'll dislike going as much. No agenda = no stress.

Have an ADR at the Boathouse for dinner during the week in October. Think I will take the advice, take the bus to SS, get off in Congress, then walk!
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!:thumbsup2:cheer2:

Have an ADR at the Boathouse for dinner during the week in October. Think I will take the advice, take the bus to SS, get off in Congress, then walk!
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!:thumbsup2:cheer2:

Forgot to ask, about how far of a walk is it to DD doing it this way? THANKS AGAIN!:cool1:

We were there last week. Around 4PM we were able to park across the street, they had crossing guards available and we walked directly across to where Basin was and entered there. Easy and painless. I wouldn't avoid DTD and am excited to see the new changes as I've never really loved it. The new restaurants all sound amazing!

We went on Christmas Eve. I drove and we parked in the parking garage. Our longest wait was in line to pull in to the garage. Once we got in, it was apparent what the problem was. Everyone wanted to park on the first floor. There were probably 50 cars creeping around the aisles at 2 mph trying to find an empty space. But only on the first floor. I went up the ramp and immediately got the second spot next to the escalator. Almost the entire second floor was empty. So parking might be better if people knew how to use a parking garage. ;)

Wow - there in both April and May mid-day - NO problems driving there and parking. Yes, I had to stop at the stoplights - but never waited more than the one cycle to get through. Pulled into the new main garage - went up to the second floor - found a spot close to the escalator both times. Done. Now - I can imagine it's busier 5pm or later or starting afternoon on the weekends - but really, no big deal. NO WAY I'd take the bus to Saratoga and walk over - that's not a short walk. And yep - if traffic is stopped up for a reason - that cab price could skyrocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter