Downton Disney: the Disney Snob and the Seven Seas Clubs - the end! 5/30

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by AGPrincess, Sep 8, 2012.

1. AGPrincess

AGPrincess Disney Snob -- Bookish Princess

Glad you're enjoying it!! :goodvibes

You could tell him that the cost of a room includes three HUGE meals a day (plus alcohol). The Grand really did have more food than any other club level we have ever seen! :faint:

That is so odd! Silly old DIS, trying to undermine the good grammar of trip reporters! :sad2: That would be SO awesome to stay in a DVC villa at the Grand...I can't wait to see what they look like!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

I was hoping I could see your pics today because some of them are showing up on my new computer. Bummer! I'll check back later.

4. AGPrincess

It should be up momentarily now...sorry for the wait!

5. AGPrincess

The food offerings at most Disney Club level lounges follow a similar schedule.

Breakfast is from 7am to 10:30am.

Next comes the afternoon snacks, which run from 11am til 4pm. This is pretty standard: potato chips, cookies, maybe popcorn or goldfish or pretzels, lemonade and iced tea.

Now it is, believe it or not, possible to lunch entirely off of cookies and potato chips – especially when you know the dinner offerings will be good and out at 5. But sometimes we will have a low-key lunch out, because the afternoon club food is not all that substantial.

Not at the Royal Palm Club. Oh no.

[​IMG]

First of all, their “afternoon snacks” are considerably more than just snacks. The standby cookies and chips are present, but there are also cold veggies – asparagus, squash, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers.

[​IMG]

There are exotic crackers and many varieties of dips and hummus like spinach artichoke and tomato basil. There is also lovely white bread – and if you were clever enough to save some of the meat and cheese from breakfast, you’ve got yourself a gourmet sandwich right there.

[​IMG]

Oh, but that’s not all. We’re just getting started.

Because at 3 o’ clock, out comes the TEA.

[​IMG]

There are warm scones (in an elegant silver warmer). There are jam tarts. There are slices of cake-like banana bread.

[​IMG]

There is strawberry trifle. There is DEVONSHIRE CREAM (which is one of my favorite things on earth). It’s like going to the tea downstairs at the Garden View Tea Room, except you can have as much as you want.

[​IMG]

Did I put Devonshire cream on my cookie and practically every other thing I ate? Yes, yes I did.

Was it so worth the calories? Yes, yes it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If tea isn’t…well…your cup of tea…then there’s also a fridge always stocked with cold cans of pop, as well as lemonade, tropical (POG) juice, iced tea, and coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having tea at the Grand Floridian made us feel very fancy, very Downton Abbey-ish. There is a very funny video online, a parody of Downton Abbey, that Porthos and I enjoy. (If you are a Downton fan and haven't watched it, you should go watch it right now.)

Anyway, In one of the scenes, the characters make outrageous faces at each other for a few minutes, then one of them asks, “Right, everybody finished their looks? Then into the drawing room.”

[​IMG]

So now, for no particular reason, Porthos and I will commence “our looks” and make ridiculous dramatic faces at each other for no reason.

[​IMG]

This also looks like a Downton “look,” but I think Athos was actually just examing that fossil.

In between afternoon snacks and tea, the afternoon was blissfully whiled away doing nothing much…

[​IMG]

I strolled about the grounds…

[​IMG]

I strolled through the halls…

[​IMG]

I took pictures…

[​IMG]

Love the stained glass domes on the ceiling. They’re so high up there, sometimes you don’t quite notice them!

[​IMG]

I hung out in the room. We were checking out the next day (it was just a one-night stay), but we would have access to the lounge all day, whereas the room we would have to be out of by 11 am.

[​IMG]

Dart went swimming.

[​IMG]

The majority of my time was spent at this little marble table, flanked by two regal chairs, up on the fifth floor. It came to be the Grand Floridian equivalent of a hammock at the Polynesian. It was just the most delightfully wonderful place.

[​IMG]

There was NEVER anyone up at that table. It was so quiet and lovely.

[​IMG]

I spread my stories and books and letters out in perfect contentment. Out the window you could see palm trees and also, best of all…

[​IMG]

THE CASTLE!

Sounds from the piano or the orchestra float up from below. If you feel like it, you can stand up and look out over the lobby, spread out before you, the little princesses dancing and the families checking in and the couples dressed up for dinner.

Sometimes it's nice to be right in the middle of life, participating in it and living out new stories yourself; but sometimes it's also nice to be a little bit of a hermit, to have that physical and mental space and silence that allows you to think, to gather up the stories around you.

At that little table, I felt like there was a little bit of both.

[​IMG]

It was just perfect. :goodvibes

6. petals

petals Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luv luv LUV the Grand Floridian pics

7. Stringbean&Wingnut

Stringbean&Wingnut DIS Veteran

Sounds like you guys were having a fabulous time!!! The CL snacks sound awesome!

8. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

I like that last picture of you - it sums up what you just said! Relaxing, indeed!

9. Curiouser&curiouser!

Curiouser&curiouser! DIS Veteran

CL at the GF is now at the top of my list of stays for a grown-ups only trip. I'm sure if I batted my eyelashes enough I could convince my hubby! (and if that doesn't work, I'll point out all the food that is included!)

10. jennyjinx3

jennyjinx3 DIS Veteran

I love it too!

11. marDgreen88

marDgreen88 DIS Veteran

I'm really sad because I have no idea what Devonshire cream is. It looks delicious though! ::yes::

Your little spot at the Grand Floridian sounds so perfect and wonderful. :cloud9:

12. AGPrincess

Glad you're enjoying them! It's fun going back through them and remembering all the pretty places; although I wish now I had taken more!

It was definitely fabulous. My heart will always be at the Polynesian, but the Grand and all that food was definitely making it a contender for top Disney resort! ;)

Awww, thanks! It was very relaxing! :goodvibes

13. AGPrincess

The food is how my mom sold my dad on it! :thumbsup2

:goodvibes

It's also called clotted cream. It's slightly thicker than whipped cream, and you're supposed to put it on scones like butter or jam. It's SO amazing! ::yes::

14. scrapbookersdis

scrapbookersdis <font color=darkorchid>Yes, we are going to Disney

Devonshire cream and a castle view? Sounds like paradise!

Next update, please!

15. petals

petals Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

16. AGPrincess

:cloud9:

Update coming up!

That graphic is so adorable -- Merry Christmas to you too! :goodvibes :santa:

17. AGPrincess

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, guys, but I just wanted to wish you all a very...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

I had a lovely Christmas with my family, and now we're busy getting ready for our Florida trip -- we leave on the first of the new year!! Now that there's free wifi in the parks, I'll be sure to tweet during the trip (I'm @bookishprincess on twitter! :thumbsup2)

I haven't had much time to post here, but I have been sharing some festive Disney sights on my blog lately. If you're impatient for an update or want to join in for twelve days of DISNEY Christmas, check it out! :goodvibes

However, it shouldn't be too much longer before I get an update up on here. I hope y'all are hungry, because the dinner offerings at the Grand Floridian Club are coming up next! ::yes::

18. AGPrincess

SO. When I last left off during our GRAND Disney day, I was relaxing with a glass of lemonade up on the fifth floor of the Royal Palm Club...

[​IMG]

Tea was from 3:30 to 4:30, as you know, and the only problem with tea is that its so delightful, you just cant stop eating cookies and scones piled high with Devonshire cream. :hyper: But if you eat a lot, you probably wont be hungry by 5, which is when dinner starts.

I needed to get hungry again. Pronto.

So I decided to do some more exploring that involves walking and that burns calories, right?

[​IMG]

There are so many corners to discover on the Royal Palm Club. Like these totally awesome balconies. Sadly, they are technically smoking areas. Boo.

[​IMG]

Luckily this smoking area (just off the third floor) was deserted, so I sat and watched the monorails go by very fun.

As dinner got closer, I joined most of the family at a table on the fourth floor, where they were just enjoying the view and the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra.

[​IMG]

THIS is a fabulous band. They sound so wonderful. Theyre all dressed in grey (I love the color grey. It's so elegant). They have super swanky shoes. Their instruments are always so perfectly shiny and gleaming in the golden light from those great chandeliers.

[​IMG]

The fun thing about staying on the club level is that you get an aerial view of the band!

[​IMG]

Check out that binder full of music - it's huge!

[​IMG]

That pianist was incredible - he would be playing his part, talking to the saxophonist next to him, yet sounding completely amazing and perfect.

Dart and I danced along to some of the songs, and we were all enjoying it so much, we were inspired to go down and request a few songs. First Dad went down and asked for In the Good Old Summertime, which my mom loves. Then Mom requested A Kiss to Build a Dream On. I love that song I hung over the balcony and sang along. Everybody else seemed to like it too there were couples (grown-ups, not just the little girls in princess dresses!) dancing along in the lobby below.

We asked for Put on Your Sunday Clothes from Hello Dolly, but sadly they didnt know it. We were actually doing a little Disney-themed music video to that song during our trip (a video which I will be debuting on this trip report soon! :thumbsup2), so we were kinda bummed about that.

Still, it was SO fun and such a fun perk of having dinner up in the Royal Palm Club, because the music floated right up to you! We applauded loudly after they played our songs, and they looked up and waved!

[​IMG]

Soon it was time for dinner, so I summoned some empty room in my stomach and surveyed the selection!

[​IMG]

Another atmosphere shot to give you a sense of how the lounge was set up that big table had food on it, then the counters beyond had coffee and tea and also the warmer with hot foods.

I always think that club food is good enough to act as dinner, though depending on your tastes, it might be more like appetizers. But at the Grand, I would call this selection a deluxe dinner no matter what!

[​IMG]

There were crudite.

[​IMG]

There were lovely cheeses.

[​IMG]

Smoked mozzarella.

[​IMG]

Mmmm brie!

[​IMG]

The white bread was SO delicious, and there was regular butter as well as citrus butter.

[​IMG]

There was fruit.

[​IMG]

There were CUPCAKES! At dinner! Thats just a win.

[​IMG]

Then there were several cold appetizers. This was roast beef brushetta. It doesnt necessarily sound tasty, but it was super delicious really good beef on white bread with a little horseradish sauce.

[​IMG]

Sushi!

[​IMG]

This was bloody mary ceviche sooooooooo fancy.

[​IMG]

For the hot appetizers there were two different mini entrees. Tonight they included spanikopita and bacon-wrapped chicken. I didnt expect to like the bacon one, but it was surprisingly tasty, and the spanikopita was delicious!

Its so nice and relaxing having dinner on the club level. Its like eating at a buffet, only you can take the food back to the room and you stay as long as you want and you can go back up as many times as you want. I have worked at a Disney club lounge, and I have seen how much food doesnt get eaten, so I know you basically *never* need to feel guilty about eating too much on club.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plate...you know, I found I actually was pretty hungry after all. ;)

19. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

I have never stayed club, but I have always wondered how much food actually gets eaten. It's good to have that insider view of what is consumed and wasted. Your choices look delish and sushi, too! Wow! Very cool that you could hear the orchestra so clearly. It sounds like a wonderful experience.

20. Stringbean&Wingnut

Stringbean&Wingnut DIS Veteran

Sounds like a lovely afternoon listening to the band! Your dinner looks great!

21. AGPrincess

It was really interesting to get the behind-the-scenes view - I was always amazed at the guests who went out to fancy dinners and never touched the club food. The food is a big part of the reason we stay club, I can't imagine not taking advantage of it! :confused3

Listening to the band really did make that evening extra magical! :goodvibes