Double kick-in-the-teeth for Sofitel guests!

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by oceanscape, Sep 15, 2009.

1. oceanscape

oceanscape DIS Veteran

Not only is the monorail linking the North and South terminals not running any more (intermittent and unreliable bus service in operation...), but also the tunnel from the Sofitel to the North Terminal itself is ALSO closed (until July 2010!). The only access to the North Terminal is through the car park and across two busy and dangerous roads.

NOT impressed! If you haven't booked yet, go for the Hilton IMHO.......

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jen_uk

jen_uk <font color=6666cc>Eurovision Nut !!<font color=33

When we stayed there last month we had to walk through the car park, cross roads and go up and down escalators/lifts etc :headache: Bit of a pain but still happy because of the runway view from the room :rolleyes:

4. OrlandoMagic

OrlandoMagic DIS Veteran

Regarding the terminal transfers, this is from the Gatwick website...

5. Ware Bears

Ware Bears Bring me that horizon Moderator

What a pain. :headache:

Thanks to the DIS (sorry, I can't remember who posted it on here) we found out about the monorail closing and cancelled our room at the Sofitel and booked the Hilton. Even after paying a cancellation fee of £15 we still made on it :thumbsup2 so were very relieved.

6. Scrap_Vamp

Scrap_Vamp DIS Veteran

I'm glad we were able to use the monorail in August, although we didn't find it too much of a problem not having the walkway. It would be different if we had kids, I expect.

We would probably still go for the Sofitel even without the monorail, simply because we felt it was a superior quality of room and hotel for the price we paid, compared with our stay at the Hilton.

7. Obi Wan Kenobi

Obi Wan Kenobi DIS Veteran

your'e welcome :goodvibes

We did the same and are now esconsed in the Hilton :cool1:

8. suzycute

suzycute DIS Veteran

we check in to the Sofitel tomorrow - not sure whether to :banana: or :sad2:

9. madmumof2

madmumof2 DIS Veteran

I'm staying at the sofitel in 3 weeks. Gutted about the monorail but I still much prefer the look and design over the hilton so I'm not cancelling. The walk way doesn't effect us anyway as we're flying from the south terminal.

So what exactly do I need to do without crossing loads of busy roads, as I'm on my own with 2 young children, as well as our cases! lol

Is there a bus straight outside the sofitel that will take you straight to the south terminal? I'm assuming this is all free too?

10. oceanscape

oceanscape DIS Veteran

I just called and canceled our other trip too. We are now staying at The Hilton. Much happier with this, especially since the rooms have just been refurbished (they look very nice) and there is the direct walkway to the South Terminal.

It does affect you because you need to get to the North Terminal in order to get the bus service to the South Terminal. There is no direct bus from the Sofitel. You can't get out of crossing the busy roads (unless you get a cab, I suppose).

11. madmumof2

madmumof2 DIS Veteran

Ahh, didn't know that! I might have to reconsider cancelling then, as much as I love the look of the Sofitel. It's only one night, I could stay in the Hilton I suppose if it meant not dragging my children across dangerous roads. :S

12. oceanscape

oceanscape DIS Veteran

If you really want to stay in the Sofitel, double check there isn't a direct bus before you cancel. The woman I spoke to said there wasn't but, to be honest, she sounded like she didn't have a clue!

13. madmumof2

madmumof2 DIS Veteran

I've just rang up the Sofitel after looking at the Hilton website and not liking it at all, and she said something like only half the walkway was closed? I asked what I had to do to get to the south terminal and she said you'll still be able to use the walk way, then get the bus from there.

Not sure if she knows what she's talking about or not but I'll ask again when I get there. )

14. iluvpluto27

iluvpluto27 DIS Veteran

I'm at the sofitel right now and although I was worried about the bridge being shut it really is not bad going round the long way.
    Although the roads are reasonably busy at peak times there are proper crossings so it's not like you're having to run across between cars.

The monorail was running today but is apparantly closed tomorrow so hoping the bus will be ok. Even given the inconvenience I would still stay here over the Hilton ( have stayed there twice before and just prefer the rooms at the sofitel)

15. wdw_adict

wdw_adict Mouseketeer

Was just coming on to post about the monorail running today but have been beaten to it!

Anyway the walkway been closed is fine tbh bit annoying as it doubles the length of the walk but ok.

Anyway we are going to enjoy the rest of our evening at the Sofitel and I will post from WDW later in the week :cool1:

16. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 DIS Veteran

Anybody else cancel and book with the Yotel instead?

17. LeCras

LeCras Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>I don't think I cou

We're having dinner at Sofitel's Gatwich Oriental on Friday. If the monorail isn't running I guess we'll just burn off a few extra calories on our way back to the Hilton! Wouldn't want to stay there if it meant carting luggage around unneccesarily in the morning though.

Lazy? You bet! LOL!

Charlotte