• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you focus on what you left behind, you will never be able to see what lies ahead

Thanks for all the congrats guys!

I have one last photo to share from the race. When I got the email today with my race pictures I just had to buy this one

View attachment 201898
I'm so proud of him! He did an awesome job and I can't wait to run more races together.

Love this!!! Great work, kids and DH did a good job too, I'm going to be sure we have no orange Gatorade near us...I know how it tastes warm and....ew!

Training update

Nothing too exciting these past couple of weeks. I booked our hotel for Marathon weekend. Looks like we are staying at All Star Movies. Not my first choice but when you have to book two rooms to accommodate your family prices add up quickly. I'm still holding out hope that the Florida resident rates are amazing this year. I am also thinking of getting a room just for me for marathon eve. I'm not sure how much sleep I will get with the kids running around. My in-laws are going with us to help out with the kids. It is getting so close!!

10/17- 3 miles @ Easy A (goal pace of 16:32) actual average pace was 15:47

10/18- 3 miles @ Easy A, actual average pace was 15:56. This was the first day I felt tired going into the run. Before this run I was like this plan is so easy but now I'm starting to understand the it better.

10/19- Much needed rest day!!

10/20- 4.5 miles @ Easy B (goal pace of 15:30) actual average pace 15:09

10/21- 4 miles @ Easy A, actual average pace 16:11

10/22- 3 miles @ Easy B, Actual 15:12. DS9 decided he wanted to join me. On the run he looks at me and says why do you wear a fanny pack. I said it's a hydration belt. He looks at it again and says well it looks like a fanny pack. LMAO

10/23- 5 miles @ Long Run pace (goal pace 14:59) Got to run this with DH. I was super excited since it had been forever since we had run together. We also went to the paved trail on our "island" for a change of scenery. actual average pace was 14:44

10/24- 3 miles @ Easy A, actual pace 15:48

10/25- 3 miles @ Easy B, actual pace 15:07

This weekend I am running the Pumpkin 10 miler through an old cemetery in downtown JAX. I thought I was suppose to take it easy but I just looked at the schedule and I am racing it! Hopefully I can stick to my plan and pull out another PR like the Marine Corp Half. It will be my first 10 miler so technically any time will be a PR.​

The Evergreen Pumpkin 10 miler

cemetary.jpg

Entrance to cemetery
(I found this online since I didn't get a chance to get a picture)

This past Sunday I ran the Evergreen Pumpkin 10 miler with DH. It was a pretty great race through Jacksonville's Historic Cemetery. We wanted to run the 5k last year but it sold out before we got the chance to sign up. This year we made sure to sign up early and decided to do the 10 mile run since it fit better into marathon training.

The day started early at 5:30am. The cemetery is in downtown Jacksonville so we had to drive about 30 minutes. They had also warned everyone in an email that parking on the cemetery grounds would be limited so we made sure to get there early. We got there at 6:45, the race started at 8am so we decided to explore a little bit. The humidity that day was at 93% and while it caused an awesomely eerie fog it was not fun for running.

Here are some pictures I actually took

cemetary2.jpg cemetary1.jpg

At 7:45 everyone was called to the starting line. They decided to start the 5k and the 10 miler together but let the 10 min/ mile or faster runners have a 5 min. head start. We found the 13 minute flag and settled in for the National Anthem. There was no gun for this race so they counted down and then we were off. We were running on the narrow roads through the cemetery and even though they had capped the race at 2200 runners it was packed. I mean like Disney packed. You could barely run. There were so many people pushing to get past. I didn't understand because they had pace flags at the start so why would so many fast runners pace themselves so far back. Maybe they should say pace yourself based on your first mile? If I would have been doing the 5k I don't know if I would do this race again. People were running 4 across, some lady had her two small dogs on leashes that I almost tripped over, and I saw so many near misses with jogging strollers it was just a hot mess.

Ok enough of the bad. The course was awesome. We did the first 5k in the
cemetery. I didn't realize how big it actually was. We started in the historic section with graves from the 1800s. Then we crossed the train tracks that went through the middle (this fact will come up again) and went into a "newer" section. That part was where all the mausoleums were. I told DH that I wanted to be buried in one. He told me they are too expensive. That was when I reminded him it was for forever so the cost is totally justifiable.

After the first 5k we left the cemetery and headed out to a running path that goes into the city. I was happy to get away from the 5kers and have some room to run. Up until this point we had been running a slower pace to get warmed up. My strategy going into this race was to try to duplicate the Marine Corp Half I did 2 weeks prior. This was also my last "race" before Goofy. My goal was to finished at 2:10. Even though I had never run a 10 miler before I was going for a PR based on my half time. So when we left the cemetery we decided to kick it up a notch. The path wasn't very thrilling but it was an out and back course so we got to watch the runners in costumes go by. This was actually pretty awesome because it made people easier to identify when we passed them later. About that time we heard the train whistle. I thought aw man that would suck to have to wait for a train. (again this will come back up later) As we approached mile 5 I decided it was time to fuel and had about half of my Cliff bar. Luckily there was a water stop right after. I decided against bringing my hydration belt for this race because I thought there would be plenty of water stops but I regretted that decision since the stops were so far apart.

After leaving the trail we headed down the road that runs along the side of the cemetery. We made another u turn and then headed back towards the entrance. At mile 6 I notice DH was slowing down. I kept trying to talk to him but he was not having it. So I asked him if cared if I went on without him. He didn't answer me. I hesitated for a minute. I really wanted to stay together BUT it was the last chance I had at seeing what I could do. I looked back at him again and then just went for it. I mean we are running together in 2 weeks in Las Vegas and he wasn't hurt.

We turned back into the cemetery and we were back at the start. Only 5k left. The whole time out of the cemetery I was telling DH once we are back in the cemetery we were home free. So here I was home free. I was getting annoyed at the people taking pumpkins that were lining the course. They asked them not to take them until the 10 miler was over. Nobody listened so by the time I got back to this part most of them were gone. I ran over the train tracks and past the
mausoleums again. I was noticing I was passing people who had been way ahead of me before. That was a nice boost but then I started to struggle and told myself I was going to run at least to mile 9. At Marine Corp I got to 8.5ish and started intervals so I wanted to push myself a little further this time. The whole time I kept checking behind me to see where DH was. He was holding steady not too far back.

I passed the last water station and what did I hear but a train in the distance. I thought oh no the tracks are right up ahead. Sure enough as I approached the tracks there was a train.

train.jpg

So not cool! I don't think it took very long. Maybe a couple seconds but a total mood killer. After crossing the tracks I saw the sign for mile 9! Only one more mile. I kept running but after a little ways I decided it was time for intervals. I felt tired but told myself I would stick to the 3:1 interval no matter what. Just 3 runs intervals, thats all I had left to the finish. At this point I was right by the parking lots and everyone with their medals. A lot of people stayed to cheer which was nice to see. I looked at my watch and I was closely approach my B goal which was finish before 2:15. So I made the last turn and then sprinted with all my energy. I crossed at 2:14:59! I grabbed my medal and water and went for the closest shady spot I could find. I watched DH cross only a couple minutes behind me.

I wasn't able to beat my half pace but only fell 30 seconds short. If I had know how close I was to that time I probably would have pushed a little harder that last mile. But overall I was happy with the race. Afterwards it was time to eat! Unfortunately it being Sunday again our post race place wasn't open so we had to settle for burgers at Ted's Montana Grill.

Here is the medal, it even glows in the dark!

medalpr.jpg

Next race VEGAS baby in 2 weeks!!!

What a fun race and the medal is great - especially the glow in the dark part. That stinks about the train slowing you down though, but great job on your time regardless.

Another great race recap! :) Awesome job keeping to your goal, that's fantastic! I can't believe Vegas is just 2 weeks away...hmm DHand I should have "signed up"-- to cheer!:rotfl2:and then have some beers waiting for you both! :drinking1

Allegiant DOES do direct from Fargo to Vegas so...maybe next year ;)

I can't believe there was a race designed OVER a train track...twice...that's crazy. I mean if you look at a 5K as a fun run that's one thing but a 10 miler is for more serious-ish runners (it's a word) and I'd be annoyed to have to stop!

Training update:

Can I first just say how much I hate the time change and am not happy that I must now run in the dark. I guess I could wake up early :crazy2: that is probably not going to happen unless the runs start to get scary.

Oct. 31- 3 miles @ Easy A, Went out after Trick or Treating with DH. Luckily we could run in the in-laws development that is still under construction. There were plenty of roads with no one on them. Paces: 15:37, 16:00, 15:45

Nov. 1- 3 miles @ Easy A paces 15:28, 16:34 & 16:19

Nov. 2- REST

Nov. 3- 4.5 mile Blind Run @ Easy B pace. This means no watch or looking at Strava and trying to hit my pace by feeling. Easy B pace is 15:30 and my paces were 15:25, 15:38, 15:43, 15:31, 7:49(1/2 mile) I am happy with those results

Nov. 4- 4 miles @ Easy A. This was a tough run. My watch was dead and we were leaving for WDW as soon as the kids got off the bus. I did not control myself at all. Paces were 14:53, 14:49, 15:08 & 14:50.

Nov. 5- 6 miles @ Easy B. We were camping at Fort Wilderness so I had such a fun run looking at everyone's campsites. I saw everything from RVs with balconies to blow up Mickey outdoor movie screens. I still did not have my watch so I used Strava and my average pace 14:27 still too fast. I was ready to move on with the day and get the kids to their races.

Nov. 6- 8 miles @ Long Run pace. This day started @ 3am since I volunteered at Wine and Dine. After that we went to Epcot and then drove the 2.5 hours home. I was not looking forward to running but I knew it needed to be done no matter what. I started at 6pm and decided to just do laps around the church across the street (it's 1/2 mile loop). I got it done with my nifty flashlight gloves and my average pace was 15:10. Still no watch so again used Strava.

Nov. 7- 4 miles @ Easy A. It was very dark by the time I got out to run. This time I was more paranoid but I got it done. My watch was charged this time and my paces were 15:42, 16:19, 16:28 & 16:28.

Stay tuned I am going to do a recap of my day volunteering...

My Morning at the Wine and Dine Half

We have always wanted to camp at Ft. Wilderness and decided this would be a good weekend to do it. We were also there for the kid's races. Here is DD5 with her bib (don't you love how she holds her skirt like a true princess :lovestruc)

View attachment 205680

Like I mentioned before this day started bright and early at 3am. Luckily it was also the weekend for the time change so it was more like 4 am. I had everything ready to go the night before to make as little disturbance as possible. I snuck out of the tent, got in DH's car and drove to the comfort station where I got ready for the day. I then made my way to Blizzard Beach. Once I was there I had to check in and then they gave me my shirt, snack box, a bottle of water and a fun sized Snickers bar (leftover Halloween candy?). They directed me to a bus that was going to the finish line. On it the Hunger Games movie was playing. I thought that was an odd choice.

When we got to Epcot I met my group at the Pumbaa sign. Our team leader introduced herself and gave us some facts. 14,000 runners registered and as of Saturday night 13,500 had picked up their packets. She lead us to the medal rack and boxes of medals. We had to unbox the medals take off the plastic sleeves and hang them on the racks. We were to be show ready by 6. We had it done by 5. So we had an hour to goof off. I decided to take some pictures.

FL2.jpg

medals ready.jpg

medal.jpg
At 5:30 they announced the race had started. They were expecting the wheelchairs to finish around 6:30 and then the first man to cross the finish at 6:42. We got updates as they hit each mile. At 6:15 it was time to take our positions.

View attachment 205683

They wanted to try something new for handing out the medals this time. They lined up 10 people on each side and told us to stay on the red line and have the runners come to us. I feel like this method worked much better than the races that I have ran in the past. The winner crossed the Finish line at 1:10:22. At first it was a slow trickle of people coming by but it soon turned into a flood. There were so many great costumes and clever shirts. The runners kept apologizing for being sweaty and gross, seriously people it is ok! I loved seeing the people that were so happy they had finished they were in tears and the ones that were dancing to get their medals. Many of them video taped me putting their medal on them and some wanted selfies. Two people told me it was their first ever half marathon. The first one I asked if she had fun and she yelled no. The second one I asked the same question and she said it was the best experience of her life. I was surprised at how many people who had no clue they were getting a medal. (they must not be on the disboards lol) The 4 hours flew by. I don't think I have ever smiled so much or said the word congratulations so many times. At some point the balloon ladies passed. I don't remember seeing them but the girl next to me said they did. After that there weren't many people coming down the chute but almost all of them were in tears. I don't know if they were happy, relieved or just in pain but I wanted to give everyone of them a hug! Then the confetti cannon went off one last time. It was the final runner coming across the line. I love how Disney celebrates the last runner! By the time he got to us he was in a wheelchair and I over heard him say he had fallen at 1.5 miles and his hands were all scraped up. They wheeled him to the medical tent to be checked out.

After that they did a count of the medals that were left over. They had 7+ boxes left over!

The team leader signed off on my badge and I headed down the chute, grabbed a powerade and then hopped on the bus back to Blizzard Beach. I got my badge scanned out and then I went back to Epcot to meet up with the family.

I absolutely loved volunteering and I hope to do it again soon!

Last edited:
So cool that you volunteered. I'd love to get to hand out medals some time!! Your little princess is adorable too.
Thanks! I think handing out the medals was the best volunteer job there, and a free ticket doesn't hurt either. But honestly I would do it again for free ( ssshhhh don't tell Disney!)

Thanks for posting you volunteer recap, I've always wondered what it was like to do that. Great people watching I'm sure!! I'd like to do that one day.

And your princess is adorable!

Thanks for posting you volunteer recap, I've always wondered what it was like to do that. Great people watching I'm sure!! I'd like to do that one day.

And your princess is adorable!
Loved the volunteer recap. Thank you for volunteering and for posting, really interesting!
I'm sorry guys I thought I replied last week! I'm glad you enjoyed my recap :)

Ok big news this week, I have decided to transfer my Goofy bib to a Dopey one :scared1: I kept getting offers for Dopey through a TA and it was cheaper than what I paid for Goofy so I decided to just go for it. I mean I was already doing the hardest part of it anyways what's another 9.3 miles?

In other news I just got back from Rock n Roll Vegas last night and wanted to do a race recap with some comparisons to runDisney. So here goes

The expo- just like Disney we had to pick up our packet the day before. They have an option to pick it up at the start but it will set you back $40 per bib. The expo was at the LV convention center. We decided to walk there so we could see the strip. It was a 4 mile walk each way. Not too bad but in hindsight not the best thing to do when trying to rest for a race. The expo was much like Disney except with alcohol. Lots of free give aways. Long lines and spending of too much money. Here is the shirt that came with the registration

IMG_4958.JPG

And here is another shirt I just had to have
IMG_4959.JPG

Vegas holds a special place in my heart. DH and I were married there in 2004 and then in 2006 we left everything we had ever known and moved out there for DH's job. Later that same year and only 1 day shy of our 2 year Vegas anniversary we had our DS out there. So when I found out about this half I couldn't wait to run it.

Up next: running with 35,999 of my closest friends

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter