• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't you just hate it.....

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
.......when something magical happens and you don't have your camera or video recorder ready.

This trip I carried my camera a lot in my hand with the wrist strap. Occasionally I would put it away and it never failed......something would happen and I couldn't get at it fast enough.

We were at DHS on June 4th for SWW and going to the show with James Arnold Taylor when suddenly a Jawa appears and takes DD age 8 (who was walking a few steps ahead of me) by the hand and proceeds to walk all the rest of the way to the building and inside with her before giving her a hug and disappearing.

While at Epcot and DD was visiting with Snow White (dressed in her Snow White costume), Snow White is just talking away with DD and asks her if she wants to do a dance with her and proceeds to lead DD in dance......1st having her shake out and straighten her dress, make sure her hair is ok, fix her bow on her head band and then has her follow her in a few steps and twirl around. It was so sweet......we did get some shots of this as DH had the camera and there was the photo pass photographer there but why oh why didn't I have the video camera out (haven't used the video camera much over the last couple of trips).

At Magic Kingdom when DS is meeting with Angelica from the new Pirates movie one of her helpers comes and removes DSs lanyard and says that its the fee. He sets it aside. Angelica proceeds to give DS a hard time about not putting up a fight or protesting the removal of his belongings. (we were the only one's there so the kids had her undivided attention and DS has a huge crush on Angelica - the girl at MK that day resembled her very much) Finally when they are finished and we've gotten our pictures, etc. DS walks over and picks up his lanyard and Angelica says, "now was that so hard." It was so funny......again......got pictures but the video camera was tucked away in the back pack.

I can see that before our next trip I need to invest in a smaller digital recorder and keep in a more handy place.

So what are some of your "oh I wish I could have gotten that on video or captured that photo" moments?

Keep in mind, though, that while you may have missed recording them with your camera, your family got to experience these moments - not everyone gets so lucky. :)

Keep in mind, though, that while you may have missed recording them with your camera, your family got to experience these moments - not everyone gets so lucky. :)

I agree. Plus YOU got to experience them. When all you do is film and snap pics, something gets lost in the experience. ;)

We've had quite a few magical moments but I've managed to get all but a few captured with a few pictures. We only just starting bringing video cameras with us (we've got the Flip and the Kodak playsport) so we do try to grab some videos too. But I really try to simply enjoy the magic so many of our videos will likely make you seasick since I'm not really paying attention to how I'm holding the camera! LOL

DH did miss getting YDS dancing with Dale at the Stitch dance party in the MK. YDS was doing some crazy little dance and Dale managed to duplicate it perfectly! Seriously impressive moves from Dale! :worship: :laughing:
That was too bad to not get the camera out in time but NBD. Definitely an unforgettable memory. :goodvibes

I agree. Plus YOU got to experience them. When all you do is film and snap pics, something gets lost in the experience. ;)

I agree. My DH is forever trying to make sure we get everything on video that he frequently misses the actual event.

I highly recommend the Flip Video. It's super small with just a few buttons. You can have it out of your pocket, fanny pack or purse in seconds and ready to roll.

I love video because it REALLY takes you back to the moment and the emotions you felt. On our family's trip to Europe, I used the (full size) video camera very little and it bums me out now because I'd love to have the video to "take me back." A favorite from that trip is when I accidentally left the camera "ON" and as it swung on my side it captured our family's unedited conversation for 5 minutes as we walked toward Heidelberg Castle.

Understand, OP, I'mn not at all trying to belittle you wanting the moments on video... I'd feel the exact same way. Just wanting to provide a little "glass half full" for you.

Understand, OP, I'mn not at all trying to belittle you wanting the moments on video... I'd feel the exact same way. Just wanting to provide a little "glass half full" for you.

:goodvibes Oh.....I didn't take it that way at all. That was part of the reason for not having the video camera out all the time and putting the camera away at times. We have really started trying to relax and enjoy more as the 1st several trips seemed like one or both of us were seeing about 85% of everything through a view screen. This was DH's R&R (our only 15 days with him for a whole year :sad1:) and we had such a great time. And yes I will always have the memory and each one is so special. Just that one moment when you think......drats....didn't have the camera ready. Really to have caught the look on DDs face when the Jawa came up and took her hand (shes watched Star Wars tons of times and this was our 4th SWW so its not like shes never seen them but she isn't their biggest fan). It was almost like she took the hand before really realizing whom it was and then realizing she almost pulled away and recoiled....she shot me this look and I just nodded my head and said, "it's ok.....go" and to my surprise she did. It was priceless. :rotfl:

Kids are so fun and I love seeing all the magic through their eyes and knowing that even though they are both old enough to "know" that just for that moment in time it's "real". Never forget the 1st year DS did the Padawan Mind Challenge.......he was so nervous thinking about it while we were walking around he was hugging every Jawa he could find for good luck as they were the same size.......lol.

Try to explain to friends who have never been that it isn't anything like Six Flags etc.........they all have this misconception that its just and theme park and it's SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!

Scrapbook it!

One of the times we went to Disney we had a rare treat...we saw Belle and Beast in France. This was before they were so readily available. Belle is my favorite character and my favorite princess story. This was before Photopass photographers would hang out with the characters.

The character handler offered to take our picture with my digital camera. We got our signatures from the characters, the handler took our pic, and Belle/Beast went inside. I looked at my camera... and low and behold, the handler didn't get the picture. There was no picture. :(

SO, when I scrapbooked the vacation I got some stickers and a journal box... and dedicated a whole page to the story. Now, it will never be forgotten. :yay:

Kodak playsport we just got it for our last trip to take on the cruise and film underwater... We love it both on and off the water. It is so small too....Cheap at Sam Club too.....

:tigger:

OMG-YES! We were chosen a few years ago to lead the parade-and guess what? Camera dies just as I turn it on...:upsidedow--go figure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter