Don't understand MS reasoning...

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Next month at the end of October, I'd like to book my home resort for September 2016 ,but I'm being told by member services that I must bank my 2015 points in 2016 .
I have enough points. I don't understand this can somebody please explain it to me . TIA

Because you have a June UY, your 2015 points need to be used by May 31, 2016. So to use 2015 points after May 31 2016, you would need to bank them.

I hope this helps! :)

Booking the room doesn't actually 'use' your points. So, you have June 2015 UY points and you want to use them in September 2016. That's AFTER your June 2016 use year. So, you need to bank your 2015 points into your 2016 year. Other wise they'd expired on 5/31/16.

Just to add to what the others have said, the actual stay must occur during your Use Year. Points for your 2015 Use Year are valid for STAYS occurring between 6/1/2015 and 5/31/2016.

To use those points for a stay in September 2016 they must be banked into the 2016 Use Year which runs from 6/1/2016 to 5/31/2017.

It was a little confusing when on the members web site it states this:

Early Booking Reminder
You can start requesting up-to-7-night reservations for arrival as far out as:
Home Resort
Arrival Date : August 23 2016
Non-Home Resorts
Arrival Date : April 23 2016

Online booking can begin as early as 8:00 AM Eastern Time.

So I thought I wouldn't have any trouble booking online next month for my Home Resort.

Just remember that the points have to be in the correct use year for the stay, not for when you make the reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

Confusion often exists, particularly with newer members, over the concept of use year and which year's points apply to a trip. What to remember is that you can always make a reservation 11 months out at home resort or 7 at others. However, when determining which points to use for a trip, wipe from your mind the date you will call or go online to reserve. Instead focus only on the dates you will be at WDW. Since those dates are in September 2016, your "current" use year points for that trip are those coming in June 2016. To use June 2015 points for that trip, you must first bank them. That can easily be done by calling MS or going online in the main section where you can find your use year and number of points in the current and future years. After you have banked the points, you will be able to go online at 11 months out in Oct 2015 and make your reservation using those banked points, any "current " June 2016 points, and if needed even borrow points from your June 2017 year.

Next month at the end of October, I'd like to book my home resort for September 2016 ,but I'm being told by member services that I must bank my 2015 points in 2016 .
I have enough points. I don't understand this can somebody please explain it to me . TIA

I will be using my 2015 points . Use Year is June.

Your 2015 UY points are to be used from June 1st 2015 until May 31st 2016 if you want to extend the life of these points you can do so by banking the points into your 2016 UY (June 1st 2016 until May 31st 2017). Since your trip falls between these dates your reservation is for your 2016 UY and the only way to use 2015 UY points would be to have them banked into your 2016 UY.

The date you make your reservation has no bearing on what UY the reservation is booked.

Here is a post about UY you may want to check out:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-your-use-year.3443000/#post-54329290

Last edited:
OP, IMHO, get a planning excel spreadsheet or other application that you understand together. Lay out your points for the next 3 UYs, when they are good for and when they can be banked and borrowed. It will help you get a full understanding of the UYs and which points can be used when.

OP, IMHO, get a planning excel spreadsheet or other application that you understand together. Lay out your points for the next 3 UYs, when they are good for and when they can be banked and borrowed. It will help you get a full understanding of the UYs and which points can be used when.

Is there a good app for tracking your points?

I never have enough points to track. I book em and borrow em and very rarely have one or two left to bank!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter