Doing the Donald with Team in Training! Trip report started! (Mods please move)

I took the Monorail over to Epcot and made my way over to Sunshine Seasons for a snack before getting onto a few rides. Disney we attempting to protect the plants from the freeze that was coming:

IMG_0239.jpg

I got myself a pasta salad and a few bags of pretzels to take with me and took some time to sit down and enjoy the food.

IMG_0240.jpg

The I headed over to Living with the Land. I hadn't been on that ride at least since 2003, but the last time I can definitely remember the ride was from my senior trip that my mom took me on. I still really enjoy the ride and I don't really miss having the cast member tour guide.

Here are some pictures from the ride:

IMG_0247.jpg

I just had Jackfruit at home the week before. I never liked the canned stuff, but fresh it was delicious so I was excited to see the tree.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

After the ride I decided to head over to Mouse Gears and get myself a backpack. The free one from the expo just wasn't getting the job done and I had put a tear in it around the drawstring area so I was concern about more rips and then the chance of losing my stuff. After I got out of the store, I saw that the rain had started:

IMG_0255.jpg

It was almost time for the Inspiration Dinner so I started to make my way over to the World Showplace Pavilion. I got there and didn't need to wait long before they started letting people in. All the coaches and staff were lining the walkway with tons of noisemakers to cheer on all of the runners.

IMG_0257.jpg

Inside, they had several buffet tables full of salads and pastas and the pavilion was full of tables. I had been in there before, but the set up was different.

I grabbed some food and found our tables. Once the presentation got started, we were able to hear many stories about the great work that our fundraising does. John "The Penguin" Bingham was our host. He is a back of the pack runner like most of the TnT participants.

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

After the dinner I made my way to the front of the part so that I could catch a bus over to Pop for my WISH meet. I snapped some pictures of the Christmas tree and the Monorail on my way out.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

I didn't have to wait too long for the bus and when I got to Pop I easily found the WISHers in the food court area. I got to meet Jeff Da Runner and my friend Tim.

IMG_0269.jpg

Jeff had Aloha Mickey with him, so I got a picture with Mickey too:

IMG_0270.jpg

After a little bit, we all headed outside for the group picture. Here's the picture from my point of view:

IMG_0272.jpg

Once the meet was over, I headed over to the expo one more time to do some more shopping (I got paid that day!). I picked up a race tee shirt, pins, and an "In Training" shirt for next year's marathon. I also spent enough money to get the special throw. Once I finished up with the purchases, I made my way back to the resort and headed back to my room before heading to our team meeting.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

My coaches even decorated my door!

IMG_0275.jpg

I quickly dropped my stuff off and grabbed my singlet and my roommate and headed to the team meeting. Our coaches gave us all of the updates and reminded us where to meet in the morning, then we decorated our singlets and headed back to our rooms to get a good (albeit short) night's sleep.

IMG_0278.jpg

Next up: RACE DAY!!!

Fun update! I love the Living with the Land ride. Maybe because I don't see much produce being grown here in suburbia. It all seems rather exotic:laughing: We missed the Pop meet this year, but hopefully I'll be able to swing it next year. Love the decorations on your door. Can't wait to hear about race daypopcorn:: Will bring back those memories!

Knock, Knock, Knock!

Hello! Is this thing on?

I've been updating my blog with the trip report. I'll add all of those updates to this soon! Hope you guys are still out there!

My alarm went off at 2:15. We were required to meet at 2:45 so that we could be on the first buses over to the race. If I were traveling on my own, I probably would have slept until 3 am and tried to get on a bus around 3:30 or 3:45. I got some pictures while we we waiting for the bus:

IMG_0279-Copy.jpg

I really wish this picture came out better. I didn't tell the person taking it how to use the focus on the camera. Whoops!

IMG_0280-Copy.jpg

IMG_0281-Copy.jpg

IMG_0282-Copy.jpg

Once we got on the bus it was a quick ride over to Epcot. The buses stopped somewhere out in the parking lots and we had a pretty far walk just to get to the holding area. The music was blaring and we were all struggling to get warm or at least not get colder. I shared a towel with one of my teammates and we leaned up against each other. I was hoping I would fall asleep and get a bit more rest, but that didn't happen.

We made our way over to the starting lines after what seemed like forever trying to get through the bag check. I was in Corral G. I think if I had registered on my own I would have been in a higher corral as I saw many people online with similar finish times and lower bib numbers.

Once we got to the corrals, we waited,

IMG_0293.jpg

and waited

IMG_0294.jpg

and waited

and

Oooh! Fireworks!

IMG_0298.jpg

And then we got a little bit closer...

IMG_0299.jpg

And finally, about 25 minutes later, we found the start line

IMG_0303.jpg

I took pictures along the way, but I wasn't stopping for anything so none of them came out clear. I stayed with my coach for the first 5k.

I saw this before my coach left:

IMG_0310.jpg

And then I was on my own...

So I left my coach around the 5K mark just after going to the gates to the Magic Kingdom. I wasn't alone for too long though when I saw another coach from the Lehigh Valley chapter around mile 4 and he went with me into the Magic Kingdom. But first I saw the place I was really looking forward to visiting:

IMG_0316.jpg

Bay Lake Tower!

I couldn't wait until the day that I could stay there. I couldn't spend too much time dreaming about it though because soon I saw my next mile marker.

IMG_0317.jpg

I was doing okay with my time but I wanted to keep moving and get myself to the castle. It was somewhere around here that I decided to get ride of my poncho. I was really enjoying the race despite the rain and freezing temps and I felt like I was pretty warm after the first 5 miles.

We made it past the Contemporary and then headed backstage and onto Main Street. Surprisingly, it was the first time I had entered the Magic Kingdom during the trip. I tried to take some pictures along the way but my fingers were cold and I didn't want to slow down until I got to the castle. I kept snapping pictures along the way and these are some of the best ones:

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

I made it through Tomorrowland and into Fantasyland and I heard the trumpeters as I made my way behind the castle. Before I knew, this was the sight in front of me:

IMG_0323.jpg

I snapped that picture and then quickly made my way down the ramps to get the picture I had been dreaming about for the last year. I did get my picture with the full castle behind me. There was a short wait. I think they should have had two photographers there so that people didn't have to wait too long.

I then promptly started heading out of the Magic Kingdom since I have another goal to make. I wanted to beat my time from the Philadelphia Distance Run. I didn't stop, but kept snapping pictures on my way out:

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

I grabbed some water and then it was back out to the roads!

Somewhere within the next mile I see the same TnT coach. I was trying to speed up since that mile through the park had really slowed me down. I was thinking about having my Clif Shot but I thought that they would be distributing them soon so I tried to hold off.

IMG_0329.jpg

I kept moving forward and maintaining my walk/run pattern. I was expecting to see my coach around mile 7, but she wasn't there.

IMG_0330.jpg

She wasn't there at mile 8 either. I knew I would be seeing her eventually though. I did get to the food. Unfortunately, the only flavors left were vanilla and raspberry. Yuck. I really only like mocha. At least I had a mocha with me so I finally gave in and ate that. Somewhere in this mile I saw one of my teammates. I encouraged her to keep moving and went on my way.

IMG_0331.jpg

Finally, just before mile 9 I saw all of the coaches. They were waiting there for all of us. My coach got out on the road with me. That's her arm in the picture pointing out the time (and probably saying "Only 4 more miles!"). She still had on her poncho and had a towel wrapped around her legs like a skirt. She helped me stay focused on maintaining my intervals. I was certainly hurting by now.

I missed the picture of the 10 mile marker, but soon I was seeing a fellow WISHer, Thunder Matt!

IMG_0332.jpg

I managed to get a good picture of him this time!

We made our way up the entrance ramp, on the right side (see my Princess Half report coming soon for that issue). About half way up, my coach decided to finally drop her towel. I didn't blame her. She had been up and down the course several times and standing in the rain, I'm sure that towel was pretty heavy.

IMG_0334.jpg

I snapped a picture of the people behind me who hadn't gotten to the ramp.

IMG_0335.jpg

We made it to mile 11 and I then told my coach my goal of beating my time from the Philly Distance Run. Once I told her about that, she had me pick up the pace.

IMG_0336.jpg

I finally saw Spaceship Earth!

IMG_0338.jpg

We got to mile 12 and then made our way into Epcot. My coach had me run through the last water stop. I was thirsty, but I had water on me to drink at the end. We ran from the water stop all the way to the Christmas tree at the lagoon. Once we got around the tree, I was able to walk. I ran a little more in the downhill sections as we were leaving the park.

IMG_0339.jpg

When we got the the mile 13 marker, my coach told me to run again. We took off. I ran as fast as I could to reach that finish line. I managed to finish the race in 3:22:52. 50 seconds off of my time for the PDR. I guess that wasn't to bad considering the horrible conditions that we were running in. And, I got my picture in front of the castle finally!

:woohoo: Megan! Great race report. Brings back the memories of that cold, wet run! I hope the weather isn't like that in 2011!

Wow! I finished this on my blog. I'll try to bring that all over to here for everyone to read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter