Doing Research for DVC

MikeMeg88

Earning My Ears
Been reading these forums all night. I've been researching DVC for awhile now and after reading this site I have more questions then ever. Can someone please link the FAQs link, so i can understand some of the abbreviations being used. Thank You.
I looked at a few resale sites, are some more reputable then others?
Does buying resale only lets me stay at Disney properties?
Can i stay at Vero, Hilton, Aulani etc..?
Can I exchange with RCI?

Thank you for your help!

Been reading these forums all night. I've been researching DVC for awhile now and after reading this site I have more questions then ever. Can someone please link the FAQs link, so i can understand some of the abbreviations being used. Thank You.
I looked at a few resale sites, are some more reputable then others?
Does buying resale only lets me stay at Disney properties?
Can I exchange with RCI?

Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the DIS!

Here is a link to the Commonly Used Acronyms. There is a lot of information in the DVC Resource Center thread at the top of each DVC Forum. The acronyms are found in post #7 in that thread.

DVC contracts purchased thru resale may be used at all DVC resorts (including Aulani, VB, HH, VGC and all WDW DVC resorts) and for exchanges thru the World Passport Collection (RCI). They may not be used for the Disney Collection (Disney Cruise, other WDW resorts, etc.), Concierge Collection or Adventurer Collection.

There are a number of good resale brokers. The Timeshare Store is a DIS advertiser and has been used by many on these forums.

If you have any other specific questions about DVC feel free to ask! :)

:) You can get lots of info at www.dvcnews.com. You can download a great little DVC guide from Passporter for about $10. Be sure you understand UY (Use year), You can purcash at any DVC resort, even the ones that are "sold out" if buying direct. Fidelity is the company that is under contract with Disney for DVC resales and Timeshare Store is a great resource also.

You are doing great to read, read, read before you purchase. You can also "rent" points from a member to try it out.

Just keep reading, you'll get the hang of it. We took 2 years before we bought our first of 26 contracts.

:earsboy: Bill

here is the list of point charts for DVC resorts:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/DVCpoints.shtml

whether you buy resale or not, if a resort is on that list, you can book it at 7 months out (if there is availability - and there sometimes isn't). at your home resort, you have access at 11 months out - booking at 11 months out works 99.9% of the time.

you do have access to RCI with resales but options are limited there (not all RCI resorts qualify for DVC trades) and you may have to plan over a year in advance to find much of anything. if you go looking for a summer beach week a few months ahead of time, you'll likely be disappointed. doesn't matter if you bought resale or direct.

if you want to use DVC pts within the DVC system, you might be a good candidate to buy in. if you are looking for a trader, look elsewhere.

Just keep reading, you'll get the hang of it. We took 2 years before we bought our first of 26 contracts.

:earsboy: Bill

WOW!! 26 contracts??:rotfl:How do you keep them all straight?? I haven't even bought one yet. Still looking for the right one and still trying to figure out exactly which resort I want to buy at. I am looking at a few of them but haven't toured all of the DVC's yet either and looking for a small contract. Hopefully our trip in May will help me decide since we will spend a day just touring the DVC's I have not seen yet.

If a purchase a resale, will i be eligible for future DVC incentives? Will i receive membership cards with my names on them?

If a purchase a resale, will i be eligible for future DVC incentives? Will i receive membership cards with my names on them?
You will get membership cards but no one knows about options beyond the legally required ones. I think realistically you will have access to all DVC properties the same (or nearly so) as all members. The "nearly so" disclaimer would only apply to potential specialty benefits that a VIP program might entail. I don't believe DVC could treat resale members differently from retail members for DVC resort usage. I think those that caution you could be limited to only your home resort are overstepping what the legalities, including the Public Offering statement, say.

I realize that making and accepting an offer only depends on how I feel but i'm wondering if this the going price for BLT on a resale..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter