Doggie bags at Disney?

Sagginit

Hulagirl_Tiki
So I have a bit of an odd question. I am about to start booking meals for my trip in September. Currently I am not always able to eat a full meal as I am pregnant and have been fighting heartburn/indigestion issues. The few times we have gone out to eat in the last few weeks I only eat maybe 1/3-1/2 of what I order. I have never thought of it but my husband mentioned as we had a fridge I can just take leftovers to go when possible (like a TS or QS lunch right before our afternoon pool break or a TS at our hotel).

I have taken packaged things with me from QS, but never a meal. Has anyone ever done this? Does Disney even have "to go" containers at restaurants?

For ex. I was thinking if we can still get a lunch reservation at BOG the sandwich is huge, but my husband won't want to split. So if I keep a ziploc with me I could take half and eat the other half in an hour or two. Or if we eat dinner at Sanna I could take leftovers with me back to the room as I want the app but then won't eat all of my entree. I probably sound crazy to some but I would rather do that than eat an app and then snack on jerky or snack bars in 1-2 hours. Also I wouldn't do this anywhere with a buffet, in fact I may avoid them entirely so I can play it by ear that day with how much or how little I can eat.

I'm just back from a long weekend and at the TS places I ate, they offered to put what I didn't eat into a box to take with me - Via Napoli, Tiffins, and the Wave. I didn't have leftovers at the Boathouse - the sandwich was so good I ate it all. LOL

I didn't do it since I was staying in the park and could just imagine giving myself food poisoning from spoiled food since I had no way to keep it cold.

Well, a buffet or AYCTE place wouldn't let you load leftovers into your bag.

CS places really don't have To Go containers. The most you could get is an extra paper plate to put over your uneaten meal. A la carte TS restaurants usually have a Styrofoam container for left overs. But these places won't supply utensils or napkins, or carrying bags. And consider how safe that food will be in the Florida heat.

If you are having difficulty eating normal adult portions, you might consider ordering a kids meal instead. Just an option, if you aren't on the DDP.

Non-Buffet/non-AYCTE table service places will provide a box for you to take your left-overs in. I've done this at dinner multiple times when I was just headed back to my resort room afterwards. I just snag plastic utensils and napkins from the food court at the resort if they didn't provide them. I know at least a couple places also had bags for the box, but I can't say all of them did. One time at LTT for dinner - the toddler with us was having a horrific breakdown - and the server was kind enough to box the dessert, forks, and napkins in a bag for us so we could get out the restaurant ASAP (and considering this is an AYCTE place, we were surprised). And you mentioned Sanaa - they've been great packaging up left-overs for me every time. Their bread service is awesome and fills me up - so I can never finish my entree there! Cold butter chicken for breakfast is just awesome, IMO.

As for CS - they can sometimes give you an extra plate - and some have the availability to package it to go. So - feel free to ask when you order - but just don't expect it. I've taken the ziploc bag/disposable plastic grocery store bag with me when I had plans to do this. Foil also folds up small to take with you and is better for holding half a sandwich together. Interestingly - on my recent trip to Disneyland in CA - we asked for this twice at CS places in the park - and they wrapped up our burgers and fries/ pizza order just like any fast food restaurant would do without the blink of an eye or question. I've had less consistent luck with that at WDW.

I think if you have a little thermal bag and a frozen ice pack I would do this. I would not want to eat a sandwich 2 hours old sitting in my backpack in 95 degree florida heat. that is just asking to make you sick. I would especially not engage in such risky behavior while pregnant.

Yes, we eat pretty much only at sit down restaurants and I usually ALWAYS have something to take away. Not at lunch because I don't want to risk carrying it around with me, obviously. But at dinner, absolutely.

I think the issue is, how would you keep that food hot or cold? I agree with Lisa F, there is no way I would eat something that I had been carrying around at temperature for an hour or two in Florida. I guess you could always stash a thermos in a locker.

I am in the same boat this year, eating a full meal can be difficult! I have done it for desserts in the past, and entrees (when the kids wouldn't eat), however only with the non-buffet's you can. QS you should have no issues, as long as they have some sort of container there.

If you are staying onsite you could take it back to your room, or have a coldpack as others have suggested.

I would agree with other posters, I would worry about how to keep the food cold. At counter service places, ordering a kid's meal is the way to go! I've done this several times and have found the amount of food to be just right!

And, OP, sorry you're experiencing these issues! I went while pregnant last year...but I think I ate everything in sight once I hit my second trimester and was past the yucky nausea. We went to Rose and Crown and I ate my whole plate of food and then DH and I split dessert. I couldn't believe I'd eaten that much.

Thanks for confirming this is possible and I'm not the only person to think of it. I wouldn't do it anywhere the food would sit out for long, and nothing with mayo or anything that spoils easily. I completely forgot QS at the resorts have lids that go on the plates so you can take it to go. I have put grapes or carrot sticks in my bag from QS and I know they are room temperature in 1-2 hours, but not usually hot. I am generally grazing, so while I am having a hard time with full meals, I am typically snacking again within an hour which is why I think in some cases taking half a sandwich to go might be ok. I also can't have lunch meat so it would be something like carved turkey or a burger. Now that I think about it my mother and I had to take cake to go once to make it to Fantasmic and it wasn't hot at all when we ate it after the show, it was still chilled.

I looked into children's meals, the QS at our hotel for instance has limited breakfast options and they come with biscuits/waffles. I am GF so the kids meal is just egg/bacon/grapes so I will order that as its less food and easier for the kitchen to handle. Sometimes the children's GF options are more work (ex. mac & cheese or pizza is often a frozen version that I need to wait to bake vs. a burger they just put in on a GF bun waiting to go). Part of me feels awkward ordering a children's meal, the other part of me says that they probably get these sorts of requests for all sorts of reasons on a regular basis. At TS I read there is an up charge if you try to order a children's meal and you just get a larger version of the children's meal no?

I looked into children's meals, the QS at our hotel for instance has limited breakfast options and they come with biscuits/waffles. I am GF so the kids meal is just egg/bacon/grapes so I will order that as its less food and easier for the kitchen to handle. Sometimes the children's GF options are more work (ex. mac & cheese or pizza is often a frozen version that I need to wait to bake vs. a burger they just put in on a GF bun waiting to go). Part of me feels awkward ordering a children's meal, the other part of me says that they probably get these sorts of requests for all sorts of reasons on a regular basis. At TS I read there is an up charge if you try to order a children's meal and you just get a larger version of the children's meal no?

I can't comment about TS as I haven't ordered a child's meal at a TS restaurant. But as far as QS is concerned...please don't feel awkward ordering a kid's meal. I do it at almost every QS location, and I've read numerous other posts just on this board of people doing the same thing. I'm sure it happens all the time. Order what will make you happy!

I recall one trip when we were staying at the BWI, I wanted to eat from the CS place in Morocco (Tangierine Cafe), so I ordered the meal to go. It was packaged up for me in a to go box (I think it was a styrofoam container?). I just walked with it right back to the BWI to eat.

I totally understand not being able to eat much at one sitting when pregnant! Plus, the portions are so large at almost everywhere at Disney.

I've had a box for leftovers at Be Our Guest from breakfast once too - they give you pastries in addition to breakfast which is just way too much food. They made a nice snack later on that day.

I'm sure you'll have no problems, plus as you say you're going to consider this and head right back to the resort for a break anyway, so I'm sure it's fine. Of course, sometimes leftovers get tossed by me - I think I'll eat them and then don't, LOL.

When we stayed at Pop last summer, it was kind of (well, very) hectic and noisy in the food court, so I usually got our food to go with a lid they gave me to put on top of the plates.

My DD and I tend to share about half our meals at Disney - the portion size combined with heat makes it so we can't force ourselves to eat so much.

Thanks for confirming this is possible and I'm not the only person to think of it. I wouldn't do it anywhere the food would sit out for long, and nothing with mayo or anything that spoils easily. I completely forgot QS at the resorts have lids that go on the plates so you can take it to go. I have put grapes or carrot sticks in my bag from QS and I know they are room temperature in 1-2 hours, but not usually hot. I am generally grazing, so while I am having a hard time with full meals, I am typically snacking again within an hour which is why I think in some cases taking half a sandwich to go might be ok. I also can't have lunch meat so it would be something like carved turkey or a burger. Now that I think about it my mother and I had to take cake to go once to make it to Fantasmic and it wasn't hot at all when we ate it after the show, it was still chilled.

Don't discount the waffles and pancakes on the kids menus. My DGD had a dairy and egg allergy and we never had breakfast options for her...or so I thought. A Chef at Shutters sent us to speak to the chef at the food court who made her waffles and Mickey pancakes all week. I asked her how she did that, because my own efforts were miserable. The mix they use is or was Bobs Red Mill....dairy, egg and gluten Free!!!!

As for lunch, you may want to book a few TS meals, and then share an entree that is safe for you, or order an appetizer for lunch. There are CS that offer potions that are generous to share so you do not need to cart leftovers, around in the afternoon, but I am not sure how easy it is to find selections that are safe for you. If you know that you will be bringing half your meal back, there are nice little thermal lunch bags (I like one from 31) that you could pop a freeze pack it. I woudl bring a tupper container from home so you can be sure it does not get all squashed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter