Dog Food

Eukanuba Lamb and Rice Senior. My pug <-------- is prone to skin allergies and this is the only one where he doesn't get hives. It's expensive, though.

Another vote for Costco's Kirkland brand. I have five Great Danes to feed, so the savings for us is enormous, and it's a very highly rated food (manufactured by Diamond). We haven't had any problems since switching over about two years ago.

We feed ours Innova. It's not cheap, but I figure it this way: I either pony up for good food, or I pony up for a lot of vet visits. I'd rather buy the good, expensive food than spend boatloads at the vet for infections, upset stomachs, weight problems, etc. etc. that can be caused by bad food.

Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, my lab has a ton of problems unless we keep him on this food. It is so expensive but if you have a Petco in your area and get a PALS card you do get discounts and every 10th bag is free. Last time I got a $10 off coupon on my receipt.

I know how expensive it can be and I was pondering switching my dogs from the top-notch food they are on to a cheaper food, but I couldn't justify doing that to them. Food is really the only expense the cause me (besides toys and the like) so I tell myself that they deserve to have the best. My three year old pup has been on Innova EVO his whole life and when I adopted my then 7 year old boy (now 10) he was put on EVO as well and all of his skin irritations cleared up. They have thrived on EVO and my ten year old has more energy than ever. But I recently found out that Innova's company Natura was bought by Proctor and Gamble so I decided to change food and we are now on Orijin which seems to be working wonders for them. Granted it is an expensive food ( I spend 64 dollars on a 30 pound bag), it's the least I can do for my pups since they are my family. Grain-free is really the way to go since dogs are carnivores and they don't need corn...it just fills them up.

My Newf puppy eats the Costco brand-I have to watch the calcium/phosphorus ratio, and very few large breed puppy foods are intended for giant breeds-and there are no giant breed puppy foods that I can find.

Our breeder recommended the Costco brand-like someone else said it has no fillers. She also gets veggies like shredded carrots, grean beans and romaine lettuce, as well as apples and strawberries.

We have a 10 month old Irish Wolfhound - we started him on the Kirkland (which the breeder recommended, but gave him loose stools). After some research, we switched him to Innova Giant Breed Puppy food. He loves it. He actually eats less of it than the Kirkland as it has more protein. Granted, its expensive, but a purebreed IW is worth it, IMHO. (BTW, I actually found a pet food delivery service that with the delivery fee, costs less than the pet store to have the food delivered to the front door - about $59, incl. tax and del. fee)

This is my field of " expertise".. I run my family pet supply wholesale business and have a cert. in pet nutrition. I have also worked for several major premium brand foods prior to taking over our family business.
Most of the brands named here are great brands and you cant really go wrong with most of them unless you have a specific allergy or need ( like sensitive stomach). First thing.. why do you think your dog has a sens. stomach? Many people think this because they fed a cheaper brand and it didnt agree with them but in reality it was the grain or filler used that did it and you can after feed a regular premium formula just fine. When I say premium I mean a brand that you cant buy at the grocery.. Nutro, Innova, Taste, Wellness, etc.
If you are looking for something cheaper then I would for sure try the Costco brands.. they are decent formulas for a decent price.. be careful tho because our Costco has a few formulas that have corn in them.. which is never good.The salmon formula someone mentioned sounds promising but I havent seen it. I am a big big fan of the grain free formulas for dogs with allergies and issues.
If you are just wondering if you are feeding the best then that, much like the endless " which restaurant is best" question, is a matter of opinion and isolated experience. You are feeding a good food... there is really no reason to change unless it is budget based or the dog isnt doing well.
Something else to suggest.. we sell our damaged dog food at local flea markets here in Ohio. We sell a 30# bag of Taste of the Wild for $20, Nutro for $20 Chicken Soup for $16. They are bags that were damaged in our warehouse and repaired but are not expired. You may want to look in your area and see if there is something like that at a flea market near you.

We have a 10 month old Irish Wolfhound - we started him on the Kirkland (which the breeder recommended, but gave him loose stools). After some research, we switched him to Innova Giant Breed Puppy food. He loves it. He actually eats less of it than the Kirkland as it has more protein. Granted, its expensive, but a purebreed IW is worth it, IMHO. (BTW, I actually found a pet food delivery service that with the delivery fee, costs less than the pet store to have the food delivered to the front door - about $59, incl. tax and del. fee)

Whats the protein level? My breeder advised me to keep her around 23% so she doesn't grow too fast.

And I've learned, the bigger the dog, the bigger the expenses!! :laughing:

we sell our damaged dog food at local flea markets here in Ohio. We sell a 30# bag of Taste of the Wild for $20, Nutro for $20 Chicken Soup for $16. They are bags that were damaged in our warehouse and repaired but are not expired. You may want to look in your area and see if there is something like that at a flea market near you.

Wow, I wish I lived near you! I rotate between a few different premium foods for my dogs and I would be all over a deal like that!! Right now we feed our dogs Canidae All Life Stages and the dogs (two Labs and a Beagle) all do well on it. They have the most beautiful and softest coats you can imagine! We used Chicken Soup for a long time and every once in a while I buy them a bag of Wellness and mix some in with their regular food.

My Dh actually works for FreshPet, but unless he gets me a deal, i can't afford to feed them that stuff all the time! But, it is a GREAT food!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter