Dog ate corn cob

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
One of my dogs ate some corn cob. It was half a cob and he ate maybe 3/4 of it. It is all shredded around so I'm guessing he at least crunched it up. I am looking online and seeing it can be pretty bad for dogs. That said, over the years I have had dogs do this before and nothing happened. I just didn't have the internet to tell me it was bad. I will be watching him for the next 24 hrs. Any suggestions?

One of my dogs ate some corn cob. It was half a cob and he ate maybe 3/4 of it. It is all shredded around so I'm guessing he at least crunched it up. I am looking online and seeing it can be pretty bad for dogs. That said, over the years I have had dogs do this before and nothing happened. I just didn't have the internet to tell me it was bad. I will be watching him for the next 24 hrs. Any suggestions?
I'd be calling the vet.

Definitely watch for vomiting and other signs. My friend's dog just had surgery to remove a 6in piece of cob from her colon
:(

Yep, watch for any puking or a lack of bowel movements, as it could mean an obstruction. If anything looks weird or he/she starts acting "off", call the vet. How big is the dog?

I would just watch.
My dogs have eaten just about everything....whole chicken legs, corn on the cob, ribs, paper towels, towel sized baby bib, and of couse lots of legos and have survived.
I'm sure the dog will be fine, but being aware and ready won't hurt either!
Good Luck!

Medium sized corgi. He normally only poops one or 2x a day and maybe not until tomorrow afternoon now. From the look of things he ate no large pieces but still going to be stressing. Will call vet as soon as they open

Meh...probably fine. If you google "cat ate ..." Or "dog are ..." you will find horror stories online for every possible thing.

I'd just monitor for vomiting and bowel movements. If dog poops normal tomorrow and acts normal, all is well.

Our dogs are labs they eat 10 to 12 corn cobs a day. We can't stop them. They go pick the corn, they pull it up at the roots drag it into our yard, into our garage and chow down. We own the fields around the house. The vet is aware, never set a word that it would be a problem. Right now they are eating our sweet corn.

Medium sized corgi. He normally only poops one or 2x a day and maybe not until tomorrow afternoon now. From the look of things he ate no large pieces but still going to be stressing. Will call vet as soon as they open
You could call an emergency vet, not to go in. But they could advise you.

The symptoms you're looking for are vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, and/or abdominal pain.

The vet tech side of me will tell you yes, corn cob ingestion is a big deal and frequently leads to a foreign body requiring surgery. The dog owner side of me says, "#*%*+~!, even though I'm fully aware and try my hardest to prevent it, my stupid $&#%^ dog has still managed to eat SIX corn cobs over the years because he works in tandem with the @/}**% cat to get them off the kitchen counter!" And he's been fine every single time. Then again, he's a hundred pounds and he chews them first before swallowing them.

That's really what it comes down to -- the dog's size as compared to the size of the pieces he eats. If you were to call your vet now, they're going to tell you to monitor for the above symptoms. They won't be able to tell you if it's going to be a problem until it's a problem. It's one of those things you have to wait and see.

One of my neighbors puts out corn cobs for either squirrels or birds ???? Anyway, my lab will usually find them since somehow they make it into my yard. He has eaten them and been fine. Sometimes I will catch him in the yard with one and I will go out there and get it as fast as possible. He has never had a problem so far with this. As a matter of fact my DH found half a cob on Sunday. Don't know whether my dog got ahold of the first half or not.

Good timing on this thread because on Friday my dog found a baseball lying in the street and grabbed it. He had a death hold on it so I let him bring it home. It's not like me but I totally forgot once we got home to take the ball away. About an hour later I found what remained of the ball but all of the leather covering was gone. He had eaten it. I looked this up online and I got very nervous. So I call the vet's office about 5pm and the vet tells me how bad it is and to either go straight to the EMergency Vet who might have to do surgery OR watch him closely over the weekend. Since Baxter seemed totally fine and I would be home all weekend we just watched him. I made sure he was eating, not acting sickly, pooping, not throwing up. Well it's now Tues. morning and I think we are ok. So I know exactly what you are going thru.

My mom & dad's small lab used to go to their garden & get ears (and stalks) of corn. It never bothered her. Good luck with your dog.

Great thread because it already has the 2 polarizing answers always given for any pet question posed on the Internet.

Q- my dog ate beehive, this badds?
A1- Nope! Most dog food is actually made from 3 primary ingredients: bees, beehives, and honey. I am a veterargenarian and own 23 dogs, and they only eat bees. Don't bother to call the vet, your dog is more than fine.
A2- I'd tell you to call the vet, but maybe just call the pet morgue because I'm sure your beloved dog has died by now. I've lost 35 dogs to beehives, but you are clearly the worst pet owner of all time.

BTW, hope your dog is Ok.

Called the vet and like I figured, it's watching time. If he goes and the corn comes out all is well. Here is hoping.

How's everything?
I hope all is well
Please give an update

My dog ate FIVE whole corn cobs at once. FIVE! He threw it all up. Thankfully!! Hope your dog is ok. I'd call the vet just to be sure.

I have never seen my golden as sick as he was when he ate a few chunks of corn cobs. The ends that were cut off before the corn was boiled. We didn't know anyone put them where he could reach them, and had no idea what was wrong with him, until he finally threw them up. I won't go into details, but my carpet has never been the same. We thought he was dying, he stopped walking, tried to bite us (he was a golden, never ever in his life had he so much as looked at us funny), it was horrible.
Keep a close eye on him. The problem with corn cobs is they won't usually show up on x-ray so they can't tell where they are anyway.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter