• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does this Fastpass question have an answer?

S. S. Columbia

DIS Veteran
Hi, All,

Someone was recently writing on the internet about Fastpasses.

He wondered if most visitors to DLR knew which rides were 'not connected.' I felt pretty good, because I knew that Roger Rabbit and DCA's GRR are not connected with their respective Fastpass rides. And I knew that DL and DCA are not connected to each other.

And then he wondered if most visitors to DLR knew which rides were OK to skip the Fastpass kiosk and just wait in the fast-moving standby line.:confused3

He lost me on this point. Was he maybe referring to DCA's ToT? Was he maybe referring to the idea of going to a (Fastpass) ride as soon as the gates opened?

Is there an obvious answer that I'm missing? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

He's probably referring to the FP attractions where FP is not needed as much (because lines usually move quickly) such as Buzz, ToT, and BTMRR.

I think I remember that over on Mice Chat as part of an anti fast pass rant. The gist was that fast pass only benefits the super knowledgeable. They are completely wrong of course and I've proven that multiple times over there. But they don't bother to pay attention.

1. The fast pass rides that are not connected are Grizzly River Run at DCA and
Roger Rabbit at DLR. Also, DCA is not connected to DL.

Knowing that GRR is disconnected is a huge benefit at DCA. But that doesn't mean not knowing that makes fast pass not a benefit.
Knowing that Roger Rabbit is disconnected isn't all that much of a benefit due to its remote location. You'll probably get a fast pass there, then do Toontown, use the fast pass, and then go. Very few make a special run back there to get a fast pass even knowing that it is disconnected.
Knowing DCA is disconnected can be a big benefit. We tend to run over just before taking an afternoon break at the hotel and get FP's for GRR and Soarin.
But other than that, there really isn't all that much benefit to knowing that. You don't want to be running back and forth during prime morning hours that are better spent hitting things. When we use DCA as a hop away from a crowded DL, we still have ample opportunity to get a fast pass for GRR and Soarin, and we then hit stuff like Aladdin, Monsters, Muppets, The Art thing.

Taking the time to run back and forth to get fast passes during prime touring time costs one more than one saves. So it makes sense to make a run over during lunch or something like that. So the idea that people are abusing the system running back and forth and hording all the fast passes just isn't accurate. Some that want to just hit the major attractions might do that. But that isn't the norm.

As for ones to skip the fast pass on, I'm not sure that person has his reasoning quite down.
Indy, Autopia, and TOT are rides to skip the fast pass on, but not because of the fast moving line. One should do those early and skip the fast pass simply because there is way too much line beyond the merge point.
Knowing this is a benefit, But using fast pass later in the day still shortens the wait considerably. So it's still beneficial
Buzz can sometimes be done without fast pass. But when the line says 30 minutes, well you're going to need to fast pass it regardless. Same goes for Big Thunder. And really, I don't know where the "extra knowledge" comes into play here. Anyone can read a sign that says 60 minutes and make a determination can't they?

Now those of us with extra knowledge do benefit by knowing that we need to be hitting those non-fast pass attractions that build long lines early and riding fast pass attractions using our fast passes later. However, the more knowledgeable will benefit more than the less knowledgeable under ANY system. Eliminate fast pass and those of us more knowledgeable will still be zooming past the less knowledgeable. The less knowledgeable just won't be seeing us do it right next to them is all.

I think I remember that over on Mice Chat as part of an anti fast pass rant. The gist was that fast pass only benefits the super knowledgeable. They are completely wrong of course and I've proven that multiple times over there. But they don't bother to pay attention.

1. The fast pass rides that are not connected are Grizzly River Run at DCA and
Roger Rabbit at DLR. Also, DCA is not connected to DL.

Knowing that GRR is disconnected is a huge benefit at DCA. But that doesn't mean not knowing that makes fast pass not a benefit.
Knowing that Roger Rabbit is disconnected isn't all that much of a benefit due to its remote location. You'll probably get a fast pass there, then do Toontown, use the fast pass, and then go. Very few make a special run back there to get a fast pass even knowing that it is disconnected.
Knowing DCA is disconnected can be a big benefit. We tend to run over just before taking an afternoon break at the hotel and get FP's for GRR and Soarin.
But other than that, there really isn't all that much benefit to knowing that. You don't want to be running back and forth during prime morning hours that are better spent hitting things. When we use DCA as a hop away from a crowded DL, we still have ample opportunity to get a fast pass for GRR and Soarin, and we then hit stuff like Aladdin, Monsters, Muppets, The Art thing.

Taking the time to run back and forth to get fast passes during prime touring time costs one more than one saves. So it makes sense to make a run over during lunch or something like that. So the idea that people are abusing the system running back and forth and hording all the fast passes just isn't accurate. Some that want to just hit the major attractions might do that. But that isn't the norm.

As for ones to skip the fast pass on, I'm not sure that person has his reasoning quite down.
Indy, Autopia, and TOT are rides to skip the fast pass on, but not because of the fast moving line. One should do those early and skip the fast pass simply because there is way too much line beyond the merge point.
Knowing this is a benefit, But using fast pass later in the day still shortens the wait considerably. So it's still beneficial
Buzz can sometimes be done without fast pass. But when the line says 30 minutes, well you're going to need to fast pass it regardless. Same goes for Big Thunder. And really, I don't know where the "extra knowledge" comes into play here. Anyone can read a sign that says 60 minutes and make a determination can't they?

Now those of us with extra knowledge do benefit by knowing that we need to be hitting those non-fast pass attractions that build long lines early and riding fast pass attractions using our fast passes later. However, the more knowledgeable will benefit more than the less knowledgeable under ANY system. Eliminate fast pass and those of us more knowledgeable will still be zooming past the less knowledgeable. The less knowledgeable just won't be seeing us do it right next to them is all.

I agree with every word of this post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter