Does Soarin' feel real?

I found that the experience changes depending which row you are in row A is the best.

It feels like leaning back in a lawn chair while looking at an IMAX screen. A very dirty screen. The promo photos for this are quite misleading.

I found that the experience changes depending which row you are in row A is the best.
It feels like leaning back in a lawn chair while looking at an IMAX screen. A very dirty screen. The promo photos for this are quite misleading.

Haha interesting :')
thanks for letting me know
Yeah I always thought WOW this would be amazinggggggg, it looks so real in the promos

:thumbsup2

It's old and needs to be updated with HD. It's cute and a relaxing smooth ride. But it is definately not worth a long wait. Use a fast pass.

Assuming that "real" means having a giant hair stuck on one eyeball and seeing black dots out of the other eye, then yes. Soarin' feels real. :rolleyes1

As for smells, the pine forest and orange grove are unmistakable. The rest, (like the sea breeze), not so much.

Assuming that "real" means having a giant hair stuck on one eyeball and seeing black dots out of the other eye, then yes. Soarin' feels real. :rolleyes1

As for smells, the pine forest and orange grove are unmistakable. The rest, (like the sea breeze), not so much.

Hahaha please explain more ;)

:rotfl2:Hahaha! That's hilarious. Took me right back to the ride. The screen could use a refurb!!

I enjoyed it, nonetheless. Fun ride IMO.

Aww, I'm not even a huge Soarin' fan and I'm still not too critical about the screen. I actually didn't even notice the marks on the screen until after I started reading on the DIS... then again I'm not known for being super-observant. Ha!

Other than that, it's a sweet, relaxing ride and I can appreciate the little details added in to make it more "real"- mainly the smells. I really enjoy the ending as well.

It's a great ride and it's actually one of my favorite. It is desperately in need of a refurbishment (go digital) of the film portion. Having said that, I fly about everything there is from hang gliders to powered hang gliders to RC airplanes and helis to full scale planes. No. It simply is NOT a hang gliding experience. Is it cool? Yea. Does it give you a feel for what hang gliding is actually like? In a very obscure way I guess so depending on your willingness to stretch the envelope of comparison.

JimmyV said:

I like this ride. However, this made my day.

I love Soarin'. It's tied with Rock N Roller Coaster for my favorite!
Yes, they need to clean it up, and, no, it won't Fool you into thinking you are really hang gliding over California.
But, it's much more realistic than so called virtual reality rides.
You can get a sense that you feet may get wet as you glide over the crashing waves in the surfing scene.
If your nose works properly, you can smell the pine forest, orange grove and sea salt.
I will not wait more than 20 minutes for it, but I won't wait more than 20 minutes for anything. Just get there first thing in the morning, during Illuminations, or FP it.
It's one of the only rides that often gets a round of applause when it's done, so take all the criticism with a grain of salt.

Wow - I'm amazed at all the dislike for this attraction. First of all, it is film. Its regular Imax 70mm film that gets projected onto a very large screen. As a result, a very small speck of dust on the optical projection mechanism (not the film itself) becomes a significantly larger spot on the screen. Some find this objectionable. Others don't even notice.

To the OP, I can't answer the specific question, does it feel real, since I've never gone hang gliding. I will say that there are scenes in this movie that you will feel like you are sailing right over (or into) the scene. In some spots you will also smell things like citrus or eucalyptus.

Well, not real, but probably as close as you are going to get.

There are times that you can really feel sucked into the moment. When you crest a couple of cliffs/dropoffs, it does give you that whoa feeling. Plus, when you add in the scents from the scenes that they pump in, it is a SUPER fun experience for all.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter