Does it matter which resort I buy points in?

All great questions/advice! We do go to WDW at least once a year, with 2 large teen boys. We are locked into school vacations now, but that will change before we know it. I looked at the BLT model, and think that is the way to go- walking to the MK is such an enticement. pixiedust:
What do you all think??
(And thanks :flower3:)

While walking to the MK might be an enticement now....what about when the kids have flown the nest? We are in our 60's and the MK is the place we visit least at WDW. We much prefer the space and quiet, so our favorite resorts are OKW and AKV. OKW is our Vacation Home, and AKV is our vacation destination resort. We own points at both.

Even if you don't have a strong preference for what resort you stay at, if you usually plan to go to WDW I would at least buy in the cheapest (Based on total cost of ownership: factoring in up-front purchase price, length of contract, AND dues!) resort there. That way you can book @ 11 months someone in the World and change if/when you want. (i.e. don't consider HHI, Vero, AVH, or even VGC). If however you wanted to frequently go to DL, then strongly consider VGC as your home resort since it is the smallest DVC property and sometime people are already reporting difficulties book it @ 7 months out. If you plan to stay at multiple resorts, you could always go multiple smaller contracts like I have! :3dglasses

That is why we bought in to DVC--they built BLT. We love that locations and the convenience to MK.

Same here! I love the monorail and several MK attractions are family favorites {BTW, no human kids!}. Plus, easy walk to MK bus stop if we want to swing over to a different resort for a meal or just to visit. Plus, love the boat to WL, another fav or ours.

I like booking there @ 11 months and then sometimes trading out @ 7 if something is available since we eventually want to try all the resorts. If not, staying at our fav already so no harm done!

After that and our first stay @ the Grand Cal. hotel on developers points, addonitous kicked in BIG time! :)

I own the VGC points since we want to book @ 11 months for our (less frequent so we bank and borrow as needed to go once every 2 or 3 years) DL trips. The AKV & VWL ones are mainly funded & used by my parents; I made them associates on my membership and they LOVE staying @ VWL in winter and trying for value studios @ AKV in the summer to conserve points. :cool2: I'd also like a shot at one of the 5 coveted concierge studios at least once, so AKV will benefit me at some point as well. :thumbsup2

Boy, did I pick the right thread!! :thumbsup2
DVCGEEK, DIANESCHLICT, SANDISW, DENLO, A742246,FINDINGFIGMENT, METSOSKIL

Thanks for the wisdom-
We are leaning towards buying something middle-of-the-road at BLT. If I can motivate my husband quickly, we can cash in on those incentives!!!

We go every Spring Break and I've never had a problem getting into BWV at the 7 month window.

I guess I am the odd one out, not unusual for me!!

My wife and I were not/are not concerned with resort we stay in. We were able to get in at OKW 2057 contract direct thru Disney, we couldn't pass up the price!

I understand why so many others agre that you need to buy where you love to stay, but that didn't apply to us. We have been lucky enough to get reservations at 4 different resorts at the 4-6month mark without any problem. I know that this isnt guaranteed to happen every time, but we will enjoy it while it does!!

We have the comfort of knowing that we will be able to book 11 months out at OKW and then switch at the 7 month mark if we want to and if we are able to.

Everyone buys for different reasons. We are relatively young and were estatic to get a contract that lasts until 2057 If you can't imagine staying anywhere buy BW or BC, than definitely buy there. But if you aren't as picky on where you stay, buy the best contract for you and your husband.

Good luck!!!

Sounds kinda like us. We were able to get a SSR contract for a steal, and for us, we will be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts. The difference in price was enough for us to be very happy with the SSR contract, and we will love anywhere we stay. Having said that, we are staying at AKL Kindani in a one-bedroom in March :) Cant wait! Good Luck with your decision. If Price is not an issue, and you have one resort you just love, then go with that, but if your are flexible with where you stay, and would like to save the extra cash, go with a less expensive contract! :laundy:

While I generally agree with the 'buy where you want to stay' crowd, the one thing not mentioned is:

If you CANNOT or WILL NOT book more than 7 months out, then points are points, and factoring in lowest cost per point, lowest maintenance fees, and end date furthest out would make sense.

Purchase price is not the only factor in cost of ownership. Be sure to include MF's when deciding where to own!

Keep in mind that the 7 month booking rules could be changed if Disney wanted to. The only thing guaranteed in your purchase contract is that you can book at your home resort. I wouldn't think that Disney would change the booking rules but then again I didn't think that they would change the rules and limit us to only two wait lists and charge us $95 each time that we stay at a non-DVC resort.

:earsboy: Bill

I guess I am the odd one out, not unusual for me!!

My wife and I were not/are not concerned with resort we stay in. We were able to get in at OKW 2057 contract direct thru Disney, we couldn't pass up the price!

I understand why so many others agre that you need to buy where you love to stay, but that didn't apply to us. We have been lucky enough to get reservations at 4 different resorts at the 4-6month mark without any problem. I know that this isnt guaranteed to happen every time, but we will enjoy it while it does!!

We have the comfort of knowing that we will be able to book 11 months out at OKW and then switch at the 7 month mark if we want to and if we are able to.

Everyone buys for different reasons. We are relatively young and were estatic to get a contract that lasts until 2057 If you can't imagine staying anywhere buy BW or BC, than definitely buy there. But if you aren't as picky on where you stay, buy the best contract for you and your husband.

Good luck!!!

Disney is still selling OKW? I thought they were only selling BLT, AKL and SS

Disney is still selling OKW? I thought they were only selling BLT, AKL and SS

Yes. Actually, any resort can be bought through DVC. Right now, they are actively selling BLT, AKL, SSR and Aulani.

However, all the rest can be purchased. If they don't have what you want, they will put you on a wait list for when more points become available (ie: through ROFR is my guess).

Yeah I'd have to agree that you should buy at the resort you want to stay at the most. You'll be disappointed when you try to get the resort you want but can't because you own somewhere else. That's not to say don't try them all, but just go with the one you don't mind going back to year after year. Peak times when school's are out can be hard to get so getting that reservation for sure at 11 months at a place you would like to stay is the ticket. Then just call at the 7 month mark and see if anything is available at the resort you would like to visit.

Y-ASK

Boy, did I pick the right thread!! :thumbsup2
DVCGEEK, DIANESCHLICT, SANDISW, DENLO, A742246,FINDINGFIGMENT, METSOSKIL

Thanks for the wisdom-
We are leaning towards buying something middle-of-the-road at BLT. If I can motivate my husband quickly, we can cash in on those incentives!!!
What incentives did they offer you? We just got back today. Went on the tour 3 days ago. It was a great presentation and got my mind working. They offered us an additional one year bonus points and 10% off. Although, David didn't say how long that offer was good until.

I agree with everyone else. If you travel during really busy times, then you will want to purchase where you want to stay so you get the extra month window for booking.

What incentives did they offer you? We just got back today. Went on the tour 3 days ago. It was a great presentation and got my mind working. They offered us an additional one year bonus points and 10% off. Although, David didn't say how long that offer was good until.

That was esentially it, though he was firm about a one week window for the incentives. (He also mentioned that it is usually 3 days, but because my husband was at home, he would extend the limit...) Perhaps this depends on whom your Rep is??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter