Does Disney treat those who buy resale differently?

karebear06

DIS Veteran
We are driving home right now from WDW and are discussing the difference in DVC. At times, while waiting on a reservation, fast-pass etc. we will strike up conversation with a close by DVC rep. On more than one occasion, comments were made from DVC reps about us buying resale.
Asking where we owned and then followed with "oh, you bought resale." (Distaste tone). We got this a while back when we wanted to see the model room for Aulani. We were assigned a new guide and he had to show us the villa since they don't have the open house for members anymore. He was reciting everything he knew about us including the fact we didn't buy direct. And how we didn't get a good deal on the price per point. I kind of feel like a red-headed step child. Has anyone else had this experience? At the time we bought, we wanted BCV and disney had a wait list and were selling more per point thus resale was the way we went.

My interaction with DVC guides has been limited, but I have never noticed any bias or unkind treatment because we bought resale. Member Services CMs have always been super friendly and helpful - I'm assuming they can see that we bought resale. I'm sure it happens, but I would not worry about it unless someone is rude and out of line; then I'd let someone (Member Satisfaction?) know about the incident. If a guide wants to find fault in my decision to save several thousands of dollars over buying direct, so be it!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Unless there are other instances you only listed interactions with sales people so it's not surprising they were pointed about resale being less or bad. I don't think that is truely suggestive of being treated differently.

Who cares what a DVC timeshare salesman says about resale?

I mean -- really, what do you expect them to say? Good job, go resale??? :crazy:

We are driving home right now from WDW and are discussing the difference in DVC. At times, while waiting on a reservation, fast-pass etc. we will strike up conversation with a close by DVC rep. On more than one occasion, comments were made from DVC reps about us buying resale.
Asking where we owned and then followed with "oh, you bought resale." (Distaste tone). We got this a while back when we wanted to see the model room for Aulani. We were assigned a new guide and he had to show us the villa since they don't have the open house for members anymore. He was reciting everything he knew about us including the fact we didn't buy direct. And how we didn't get a good deal on the price per point. I kind of feel like a red-headed step child. Has anyone else had this experience? At the time we bought, we wanted BCV and disney had a wait list and were selling more per point thus resale was the way we went.
I think this has been an uncommon experience historically but likely will be more common going forward. Since you're only dealing with the sales arm on this, I wouldn't expect much differently though I don't think everyone has been given the cold shoulder you have (most haven't historically). Think of it like talking to the car salesman when you take a car in for service you bought elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen a lot worse from non DVC systems. At a resort we own in MX we did the "member's update" and we were told all the things we wouldn't get as resale buyers. I was laughing and my wife and daughter were mad enough to spit nails, mostly at me for laughing. When we got out into the lobby they both cornered me and wanted to know, in not so kind a tone, why I was laughing. My answer because I knew he was lying through his teeth and they were buying it hook, line and sinker.

I wouldn't worry about it but I would avoid the sale process when you have the opportunity, esp if these issues bother you. I realize there may be times when you can't, like to see model rooms at times. When those times arise, you'll have to decide how to handle it. Some make jokes, some tell them about it forcibly, some just ignore them and I'm sure there are other approaches. Personally I love getting info about and discussing timeshares so we often do sales presentations or member updates. It often comes with a certain amount of baggage so one must be prepared for that. I generally ignore them if they give half truths or incorrect info but if they both lie and push me over the edge, I can be quite forceful back to them. I'm pretty certain that I cost one of them their job this past year at a non DVC option when the sales manager asked me how things went for a tour that didn't go well and I let him know the truth. For those that have done non DVC sales tours, you'll understand this issue. I've started getting the length "guaranteed" and in writing from the OPC/ASA and holding them to it starting from when we show up or the time of the appt whichever is later (we're always early, on time at the worst). For the one I referenced above he proceeded to take half his time arguing how there was no way I could have gotten that guaranteed and the other half ignoring us. His loss as we were genuinely interested in what he might have to say and learning their system which might very well have led to a retail purchase under the right circumstances.

We bought one direct and two more resale. Honestly, we have never noticed an issue and we are sensitive to these kind of things. With that said, i am not surprised that you would get the cold shoulder from the "guides". They are nothing more then salesman who do not get a commission from resale sales. I don't even know who my guide is..... Have never had an issue with the call center (MS) CMs. In fact they have always been terrific.

Never ran across an issue, but if one were to come up.. I will state that whether the points were bought direct or resale, both still pay the same amount of dues per point.. Only difference is that I chose to save money by buying resale...

We were assigned a new guide and he had to show us the villa since they don't have the open house for members anymore. He was reciting everything he knew about us including the fact we didn't buy direct. And how we didn't get a good deal on the price per point.

I'm hoping you requested a different guide immediately.

We did buy direct, but if we ever buy resale and have someone comment on it, especially my guide who is in a position of making money from us *in the future*, they would be "fired" from our account immediately. I do not respond well to hard sells or sales people doing reverse psychology on me. And I will not allow them to be in a position to potentially make money from me in the future.

Never ran across an issue, but if one were to come up.. I will state that whether the points were bought direct or resale, both still pay the same amount of dues per point.. Only difference is that I chose to save money by buying resale...
Which suggests that there should be no difference related to guaranteed options but that added value perks funded by DVD or other Disney systems would be reasonable to set up qualifications for and viewed as sales incentives/rewards rather than simply club membership items.

We did a tour in july 2007, bought resale in Dec.2008.(190 points )Then in Feb. 2009 during a trip,we called our guide and bought direct(61 points). In March 2010 bought a small resale.(25 points)Our guide that we toured with originally is our sales rep. And she's been nothing but wonderful to talk to.:grouphug:

To date, we have made 7 trips using our small 150 pt contract and have had nothing but great experiences with CMs at our resorts, on the phone or anywhere else. If they are treating us differently, we don't know it!

only sales folks treat you as second class citizens as they view a resale as taking food off their plate.

everyone else treats you the same..

only sales folks treat you as second class citizens as they view a resale as taking food off their plate.

everyone else treats you the same..

Silmarg,
The woman who gave us our tour in 2007 who we didn't buy from,we bought resale in Dec.2008 called us @ SSR when we took our first trip as DVC members to "Welcome Us Home". She's been nothing but pleasant and nice to us since day one. I would also say any CM we've spoken to on the phone or in person has been friendly and helpful.

I just think there's too much stereotyping going on here IMHO.

The reality is if you bought resale, you cut Disney out of a sale. The company and their employees were negatively affected because you didn't buy direct. How would you feel if you lost your job because of resale? Sales people either preform or they are fired.

Yes some Guides play their roles well and will friend you up but they are doing it with the hopes of a future sale. They use a software program to track sales prospects and they know what you own, where you bought it from and how much you paid.

If they have a reason to contact you they will. If you watch a web sales presentation you might be contacted. If you play a DVC internet game, you may be contacted, if you vacation at Disney you may be contacted. These actions result a possible direct sale and since they only have so many hours in the day to make a sale, they will spend their time working prospects that show promise.

:earsboy: Bill

Just got back yesterday and talked to 3 different sales people and resale never came up. but when I told them I already owned then their tune changed a bit.

As a owner(direct or resale) you already have a agent assigned to you and the new agent get nothing or next to nothing answering all your questions.

Do you want to work for free?

Most were pleasant enough, but one asked how many points I own and I told them 150 BLT and he started telling me how that gets me nothing?

I just laughed and told him about the 5 nights at VGC(3 1bd, 2 st) and 4 nights at SSR 1bd during Christmas.

He then said that was a great use of points.

2 of the people truly felt that GF would be priced well below BLT for one reason only, not a short walking distance to any park. We shall see if they are correct.

The reality is if you bought resale, you cut Disney out of a sale. The company and their employees were negatively affected because you didn't buy direct. How would you feel if you lost your job because of resale? Sales people either preform or they are fired.

That's not reality at all. Disney was not "cut out" of a sale any more than they were cut out of the sale when I bought a gallon of milk at the grocery store this morning. The product I bought wasn't Disney's to sell, just like someone else's DVC points. Disney sells a comparable product to resale DVC points, but they choose to charge double the price. It is a good decision, too, because they have little difficulty selling almost all of their points at that price. But they were not "cut out" of any sale.

Nor is it reasonable to say that people who buy resale are doing any harm to Disney/DVC/DVD. Every day there are billions of people who do not buy from DVD/Disney. And from the countless other businesses on the planet. They aren't "negatively affecting" those companies that they don't do business with, even if they purchase products from competitors, unless you use a bizarre frame of reference where the world revolves around that business and every dollar and sale rightly belongs to it. Consumers go where the economic value is. DVD chooses to charge double the price for essentially the same product. Anyone who gets fired on account of people buying resale (and I have no reason to believe this has happened) should look to DVD management and their pricing decisions, not to the people who evaluated the alternatives in the marketplace and chose the one that made the most economic sense. I would not have bought DVC points directly from Disney because it did not make economic sense (even if there were no resale). I simply would not have bought into DVC at all. So buying resale did nothing to harm Disney/DVD, and that is the case for many who choose to purchase in that market.

Of course salespeople in every industry and company want to make a sale. But it is really not accurate to place the blame on the consumer for making an informed choice.

I would not have bought DVC points directly from Disney because it did not make economic sense (even if there were no resale). I simply would not have bought into DVC at all. So buying resale did nothing to harm Disney/DVD, and that is the case for many who choose to purchase in that market.

That's the category I fall into as well. Without resale pricing I would not have bought DVC.

That's not reality at all. Disney was not "cut out" of a sale any more than they were cut out of the sale when I bought a gallon of milk at the grocery store this morning. The product I bought wasn't Disney's to sell, just like someone else's DVC points. Disney sells a comparable product to resale DVC points, but they choose to charge double the price. It is a good decision, too, because they have little difficulty selling almost all of their points at that price. But they were not "cut out" of any sale.

Nor is it reasonable to say that people who buy resale are doing any harm to Disney/DVC/DVD. Every day there are billions of people who do not buy from DVD/Disney. And from the countless other businesses on the planet. They aren't "negatively affecting" those companies that they don't do business with, even if they purchase products from competitors, unless you use a bizarre frame of reference where the world revolves around that business and every dollar and sale rightly belongs to it. Consumers go where the economic value is. DVD chooses to charge double the price for essentially the same product. Anyone who gets fired on account of people buying resale (and I have no reason to believe this has happened) should look to DVD management and their pricing decisions, not to the people who evaluated the alternatives in the marketplace and chose the one that made the most economic sense. I would not have bought DVC points directly from Disney because it did not make economic sense (even if there were no resale). I simply would not have bought into DVC at all. So buying resale did nothing to harm Disney/DVD, and that is the case for many who choose to purchase in that market.

Of course salespeople in every industry and company want to make a sale. But it is really not accurate to place the blame on the consumer for making an informed choice.

I'm not blaming anyone, I am just stating the facts. Buyers have a choice, resale or direct. If they buy resale they aren't buying direct and Disney has lost a sale. You can change "cut out" to "lost" if you want but the result is the same.

Why do you think that they placed the resale restrictions, to make resale sales less attractive and to boost direct sales. As a Guide, if you aren't making your required sales, you first lose money and if you do not improve, you are fired for under performing.

disneynutz said:
Why do you think that they placed the resale restrictions, to make resale sales less attractive and to boost direct sales. As a Guide, if you aren't making your required sales, you first lose money and if you do not improve, you are fired for under preforming.

We truly do not know why DVC placed resale restrictions; unless I have missed something everything posted here has been conjecture as to their motives. It was also suggested that they restricted resale trade-outs because the were unable to get the cash they wanted for the excess rooms they now had available for cash bookings. This makes sense to me as I saw numerous flyers in the rooms offering dining / park ticket / lodging packages at discounted prices for OKW and SSR.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am a resale owner.

I do not know who my guide is and have never heard from him/her.

I have not felt mistreated in any way by MS or CM's. I guess my maintenance fees assure that. We even toured the models at SSR, told the guide we had already bought resale, and had a great tour.

I can understand a salesperson not being interested in helping someone who knows about the resale market. But I am not interested that much (from a business perspective) in them either. However, I do expect a civil and cordial interaction.

Stephen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!