does DCL have wheelchairs to use or rent on board?

martel-luv-wdw

Mouseketeer
DGM has cancer and legs are getting weaker. She has a walker.

We will be on the Magic in Oct., wondering if DCL has wheelchairs on board to use or rent?

Should we call DCL about a handicap room.

Should we only take DCL excursions. Would it be better for mom.

We want to go on a stingray excursion in Grand Cayman.

Taxi to Sally's mini golf in Cozumel.

Any help with these concerns will be very helpful.

On Castaway Cay, they do have the sand wheelchairs available, but they do go fast. On board ship, I am not aware of any being available but there are some local companies in Orlando where you could rent one for the duration of the cruise. If you do plan on using a chair, I would recommend a handicap accessible room in order to have space to store in the room and manuever around.

You may want to visit our DISabilities Board here on the DIS where you may find other folks who can help you out with sharing their own experiences on board the ship. Good luck!

The wheelchairs onboard are primarily for emergencies. They prefer that you bring your own.

Here's a link to a rental company: Scoot Around

It does sound as if you should look into a handicap accessible room.

Hi there - this is Shirley of Cape Canaveral - I know for a fact that we have a local company right here in Brevard County that will deliver AND pick up a wheelchair for your DGM - I hooked up one cruiser with the service and she said it worked out great - I believe the cost was about $100.00 for the week - well worth the service - If you would like, you are most welcomed to call my shop and I will get their 800 number and you are in business.
Keep my number and if you run into any problems while here, I will be more than happy to help ok.
Always
Shirley

My DM is bringing her electric scooter but we also needed a wheelchair for excursions. DCL does not provide any wheelchairs unless someone is sick in sick bay or has had an accident. They will provide sand wheelchairs on C.Cay.

We rented my DM a wheelchair thru Care Medical in Orlando. They will deliver it to the Port and the cost wa sonly $55 plus $20 delivery for a total of $75 for the whole week. Their toll free # is (800) 741-2282.

Good luck and have fun!

Also,

None of DCL excursions are wheelchair accessible. In Grand Cayman DCL could not even guaranty storage of her wheelchair on the bus.

What we decided to do in GC is rent a car so my DD can drive my mom around. Many here suggested www.andysky/classes or Andy's Rent a Car in GC. You could also contact one of the private companies such at Nativeway Watersports who we have used before and they should be accomodating to see the stingrays. I know they only charge around $10 for "riders" who are not going in the water to snorkel. To tender into GC your DGM must be able to walk a few feet with assistance onto the tender and then take her collapsible wheelchair.

In Mexico the taxi idea to somewhere is smart and that is what we are doing.

In Key West we plan on doing the trolley or train.

To get a handicapp cabin your DGM must have a DCL Medical Form completed by her Doctor and on file with DCL. In our cases no handicapp cabin was available but they will bump someone without a handicapp to accomodate your DGM IF they have her medical form on file. There is a medical coordinator for DCL and if you call them they should be able to give you her name and number to assist you further.

Good luck!
Tiff

I am also using CARE Medical next week for my aunt. We just rented the basic push type wheelchair. Very reasonable and they will deliver and pick up chair right at the Port. They said it would be waiting for us at the Supervisors Desk upstairs inside the terminal.

Very easy to work with. Here is a link to their website. I took the number from the site and called directly.

http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

MJ

Try calling DCL directly to ask for what you may need to do the stingray tour. With a walker it may be possible. If Special Services at DCL cannot provide good answers about a Grand Cayman alternative try:

http://shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=GCM&tcode=001194

Look elsewhere on the Shoretrips site. They were more helpful to us in emailing their suppliers to accommodate our wheelchair needs. They found a charter boat on St Thomas willing to deal with a wheelchair; DCL was pretty useless for us. I emailed and wrote them afterward about their lack of knowledge and unwillingness to contact their subcontractors. Hope things have changed, I'd be curious to get feedback.

Carla

Hi Carla-

I have to agree last year it was not such a big deal since we did a 4 day but this year with doing the 7 day Western I was stunned at the attitude of most CM's when I called DCL to ask a question about the services for the disabled on the ship and off. They were very rude at times and kept saying "No DCL excursions are wheelchair accessible"..........that was their standard line and from cruising DCL before one I knew that and two that was not what I was asking. I ended getting better info on the DISabilities boards here and on cruisecritic.com and coming up with our own "plan". I understand that other countries and islands do not have wheelchair accessible ramps and restrooms etc. and that in the US we do better but even then I do not think it is easy for my Mom to enter many stores or shop bc they have the merchandise all crammed in...........anyhoo but to the subject, I found DCL CM's pretty useless, the DISabilities forums here are good and they are helpful. Also don't give up if the DCL Medical Coordiantor does not help you or assist you. It took some shoving from us to accomodate my Mom but they finally helped us get her a handicap cabin. Good luck!

P.S: I was told that the buses DCL uses in GC are not handicap accessible. That we "may" be able to take her collapsible wheelchair and stow it with the strollers for kids :confused: That is why if you really want to see the rays, contact Nativeway Watersports or Captain Bryan's. I have used Nativeway and they will also charge a nominal fee so people can ride if not going in the water. Their boats are nice and have a inside shaded area. What DCL told me and I know from experience though to tender into GC you must be able to walk assisted on the ramp to the tender and back. Also no scooters allowed but collapsible wheelchairs are ok. Also in GC there is a bit of a walk from the pier to the where all excursions leave from. That is why I suggested Nativeway and then renting a car. PM me with more questions if needed. I have been working on this like a partime job for months to make this cruise "magical" for my DM.

Tiff

Yow, Tiff, I was hoping to hear DCL had gotten better but sounds like they are worse than ever on this issue. Email them please, they need to get this feedback, I felt I was beating my head against a wall sometimes.

CMs were not rude, they just did not know squat and were not allowed to contact the subcontractors to answer questions. One time I called and I could hear the CM ask around the office if anyone knew anything, strange. Disney is so great in the parks and so lousy on the cruises with wheelchairs. Such a dichotomy, many other cruise lines are so much better with accessibility, maybe because they have had to deal with a more senior population of cruisers.

I cannot over-sell Shoretrips, though. They bent over backward to help. We will probably not do any charters or especially not any DCL excursions this next Eastern. Now that we have a better idea of what each island is like, it will be simpler on our own. We are taking the Eastern again mostly because I could not face the grueling task of figuring out what my mom could do in new ports!

I hope "Chuck's" wheelchair cruisers do a good trip report; looks like it may end up on the wdwig, though.

I emailed my wheelchair trip report to Dave and Jen at the Passporter, hoping their next edition will contain some accessibility info. Anyone with this kind of info could do the same and maybe something will get into the book.

Wheelchair text was posted here a while ago.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=287109

Here is our home page. The site is under construction and still has some missing parts, thread is more complete.

http://home.comcast.net/~b.stith/

Good luck Martel and give us a trip report after! Tiff, do you have a trip report?

Carla

Hi Carla and everyone else too :p

Maybe the CM's were not rude but then I expect more from Customer Service and they were at times very "bothered" by my questions bc as you stated they had no clue of the answer. In the 5 times I called I was put on hold up to 20 minutes at a time so they could consult their Manager and each time I was given different information. Now that my DM is disabled it has really opened my eyes to everything, door frames, ramps, sidewalks, accessible stores and places to eat, go and park.............you do not realize it until you experience it.

No trip report yet as we go October 25 but I will be sure to post to assist others when we get back. How do I find your trip report?

The lesson I have discovered is you really have to push to get answers and service on this issue and yes Carla I will sure my feelings with DCL about this as will my DD ;)

Tiff

I bumped my old trip report on the DCL trip report board. Let's keep up the thread! There are a few good responses on this thread from wheelchair users on the Western.

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter