Does anyone wash the comforters?

I would never have thought to be concerned about the things mentioned. I'm 62 and have stayed in many hotels over the years and never had a problem.

I would never have thought to be concerned about the things mentioned. I'm 62 and have stayed in many hotels over the years and never had a problem.

Honestly, I don't think the bedspreads or tubs are likely to cause any problem (and if they ever did, you probably just chalked it up to getting sick or feeling a little down, and didn't tie it to anything in particular). I think that our society has a little bit of an overdose of germophobia these days, but in these cases, it is more the "ick factor" that gets to me. I don't expect I will actually be harmed.

I've never stayed in a 1br... Until I go in 2 days!! Is the detergent supplied in the room? I'm clueless about anything bigger than a studio!

Yes, the dishwasher detergent is supplied. I do the same thing as Diane when I want to use the jacuzzi - just run enough water to cover the jets (do not turn them on until completely covered), add a small amount of the powder in the packet and let the jets run for a few minutes.

I've never seen anything except water come out of the jets, either, but I still clean it before I use it. :) (I clean the tubs at home after each use, too).

I do not change or remove the DVC resort bedspreads, just fold them down.

Unless you wear gloves and a mask, there are much worse things on the various park handrails and rides.

I always plan to check for bedbugs but usually forget, LOL. Haven't brought anything home, yet! Knock on wood! ;)

You could probably stuff them in the dryer and run it. The heat would kill any bacteria. It wouldn't wash off a stain, but it would kill any germs lingering on it. We usually fold it down and keep it on the bottom half of the bed for feet warmth.

You could probably stuff them in the dryer and run it. The heat would kill any bacteria. It wouldn't wash off a stain, but it would kill any germs lingering on it. We usually fold it down and keep it on the bottom half of the bed for feet warmth.

No, the dryer it too small.

The bedspreads are not changed out unless there is a major reason, stained, etc. between each guest.

The new spreads that are duvet covers like at BLT, are.

The heavy bedspreads would not hold up to that much washing just as no one washes them that much at home.

They are cleaned, actually dry cleaned about once a month, unless needed due to stain or spills.

When we stayed at SSR in early August they were changing all of the bedspreads for MBRs in all of the buildings. It was quite a production. Carts with the clean bedspreads and a cart for the ones to be cleaned in the hallways. We stayed in the Paddock near the pool and there was a storage area down the road that had dozens of the these carts of new clean bedspreads all covered in plastic, ready for distribution through the buildings. Those little gators (vehicles) were moving things around for days.

When we stayed at SSR in early August they were changing all of the bedspreads for MBRs in all of the buildings. It was quite a production. Carts with the clean bedspreads and a cart for the ones to be cleaned in the hallways. We stayed in the Paddock near the pool and there was a storage area down the road that had dozens of the these carts of new clean bedspreads all covered in plastic, ready for distribution through the buildings. Those little gators (vehicles) were moving things around for days.

Yes, during the rehab of the rooms, all rooms got new bedspreads with the Fox and Hound theme. If you get a new room, then you have gotten a brand new bedspread.

Just spray a little lysol around, has not killed me yet

i must have my lysol to go through through the villa initially...even bought a big can with my grocery order from wegoshop the end of november. "lysol kills the germs other people leave behind"...their slogan when i was growing up. a must for some, particularly me with my ocd. geez, i shoulda sprayed the bedspread!

I agree in most cases it is just the "ick" factor, however, in the case of the jacuzzi tub, our hot tub repairman told me w/o proper sanitizing of the tubing after another party has used it...it is highly possible to pass along skin infections, surface staph infections, etc. since that water does recirculate from the jets.....there is no way to totally drain the tubing w/o blowing high pressure air thru it.....something that just is not done between guests.....so for myself and my family I will continue to sanitize the jacuzzi if we plan to use it.

I can attest to the major risk that jet tubs pose. And anyone who says they've been fine for decades is in for a rude awakening when they get MRSA. This is the antibiotic-resistant staph that lives for a long time on many surfaces, especially in water. It's a real pain to get rid of and the boils it causes are no fun... Especially if it is your kids who get them. Running a cup of bleach in a full hot bath will kill just about everything. Heck, let's all be nice to the next DVCers and run that before leaving, too. You'll have enough bleach if you buy even the cheapest bottle.

... And being a pool-owner, that is why we keep chlorine levels up and proper sanitizers and stabilizers in the pool too. Most stuff dies pretty quickly with Cl ions around.

I can attest to the major risk that jet tubs pose. And anyone who says they've been fine for decades is in for a rude awakening when they get MRSA. This is the antibiotic-resistant staph that lives for a long time on many surfaces, especially in water. It's a real pain to get rid of and the boils it causes are no fun... Especially if it is your kids who get them. Running a cup of bleach in a full hot bath will kill just about everything. Heck, let's all be nice to the next DVCers and run that before leaving, too. You'll have enough bleach if you buy even the cheapest bottle.

... And being a pool-owner, that is why we keep chlorine levels up and proper sanitizers and stabilizers in the pool too. Most stuff dies pretty quickly with Cl ions around.

True, but even if you don't have the bleach, the auto dishwasher detergent will have enough chlorine in it to do the trick too.

No problem thanks to our owners locker. We fold the bedspread down to the foot of the bed and take our small down filled throws out of our locker. Perfect!!!!

Good point. I had a co-worker who got MRSA on her skin. Ughhhh...she had the audacity to come to work during her active infection while it was festering on her shin. SO GROSS.

Just spray a little lysol around, has not killed me yet
This is what we do also. We delouse the room when we first check in and don't worry about it again. We also throw the comforters into the closet and we bring our own blankets and pillows.

We don't wash them, but we do take them off and leave them off for the week. I bring 2 twin-size travel blankets from home that we like to use instead, and sometimes if we check a suitcase we'll bring a king size additional thin blanket, too. They're a lot softer than sitting on the bedspread, and we know when they were washed last. :thumbsup2

#1 Those heavy duty bedspreads aren't meant to be washed in a regular washing machine!

#2. More to the point, there are no washer/dryers in any of those villas that can handle those bedspreads in any capacity!

and for those of you staying at OKW, have you ever seen a replacement bedspread in the linen basket outside your door on departure day! No

The bedspreads do not get changed daily, not at any resort! If you get cold, request extra blankets!

Take a UV light to them, then let's talk paranoia! I remove them.

...Take a UV light to them, then let's talk paranoia! I remove them.

Well, I guess I am going to have to bring my UV light with me in January. I'll tell you what I find (but it will be at VWL).

Well, I guess I am going to have to bring my UV light with me in January. I'll tell you what I find (but it will be at VWL).

That is a good idea...but i bet you will not find anything. I have a feeling that every resort does a deep cleaning to all of its rooms at least once a month. One room with bed bugs and it will make the news...

I so wish I could get my husband to read this thread and think like most of us. He actually gets mad at me about the bedspread and how grossed out I get. sigh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter