Does anyone use a guidebook anymore?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Alison Wunderland, Jun 4, 2013.

1. katiee37

katiee37 DIS Veteran

I check out the most recent Unofficial Guide from the library and copy the touring plans I want/need out of it. I reference the most recent Passporter for everything else--it's great for planners like me, especially since the pockets in the back of the book are great for park maps, unused Fastpasses, receipts and other small things that you might want to reference in the future.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LisaTC

LisaTC DIS Veteran

4. Peachkins

Peachkins DIS Veteran

I liked having a guidebook for our last trip. There was a decent-sized group of us going, and having the book when we got together before the trip was nice. We could just pass the book around to show other people what rides/attractions/restaurants, etc we were interested in and try to decide things from there. If someone didn't look at those things ahead of time, it was easy to show them what I was referring to.

I also liked looking at it and getting excited for my trip. :thumbsup2

5. kirby428

kirby428 Mousejunkie Wannabe

These 2 are my vital planning tools, but I found the variety of guide books dropping since so much information can be found on the Internet. Hummmm DIS board come to mind for some odd reason.

6. Bellamouse

Bellamouse DIS Veteran

Yes, I had a guidebook once, years ago. But now with the internet, I don't think there is any info in a book that I can't find easier/faster here.

But I can see where it would be fun to read them to get excited. But I like the Disboards, Disney Food Blog and Josh's website for that. I like seeing Josh's pictures the most. And reading about the new food on the food blog.

So no, guidebooks are pretty much useless for us.

7. revdon64

revdon64 Mouseketeer

I've read and used Birnbaum's, the Unofficial Guide, Passporter and even a few lesser known ones. I prefer the Passporter for keeping everything together in one place. Birnbaum's for the ride descriptions and pictures to fire up the kids. Unofficial for the sheer amour of information. So... what do you want from your guidebook?

8. Arnir

Arnir Mouseketeer

This is what I do every year. I read the other guidebooks, but I like the Passporter series.

9. MinnieLovesMickey12

MinnieLovesMickey12 DIS Veteran

The first year I went I bought every single guide book in print. I read them cover to cover more than once.

My go to guide was Unofficial Guide. The first time I bought the Unofficial Guide with kids. Then I bought the regular Unofficial Guide.

I don't buy them anymore.

10. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Nope, don't ever get the guide books. I love exploring and learning things first hand, although as many years as we've been going we know all the parks now, and tour totally relaxed without any planning. :woohoo:

11. tndisneyfan

tndisneyfan DIS Veteran

I don't bother with any kind of guide book anymore, though I have used Unofficial Guide in the past and liked it. I think things can change quick and the books only get printed once a year. I come here to get the most up to do date info.

I would recommend a first timer to get a book and coming here too.

12. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

We use the Unofficial Guide, too. They are really good about putting updates on their website: www.touringplans.com. We take a Disney Trip every other year and always buy a new book. I love to read them.

We went to Disneyland June 2012 right after they opened Carsland. There was a lot of info on the Touring Plans blog as well as in the "update" section of the website.

13. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

FYI: Len Testa is constantly adding info on Fastpass + in blog section of www.touringplans.com. This is the website for the Unofficial Guide. He's even poked around one of the kiosks and found some interesting stuff. They've updated their Lines App and their personalized touring software to support Fastpass+.

14. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

'
    I'm pretty sure that they both meant "the Unofficial Guide" not "the Ultimate Guide.

15. disneybliss2

disneybliss2 DIS Veteran

On our first trip I bought The Unofficial Guide and devoured every word. Now that we have several trips under our belt and I'm on the Dis and allears, I don't feel that need. I have checked out the newest version of the book from our local library to read their take on new attractions or restaurants just for the fun of it.

16. AuroraMeansDawn

AuroraMeansDawn DIS Veteran

I still defer to some strategies I learned in Unofficial Guide. I had to laugh though as we ate lunch at Be Our Guest on the last trip it occurred to me I was breaking the "Thou Shalt Not Eat in Fantasyland" rule.

But in all seriousness I will use the guidebook when I'm thinking of doing something I've not done before or trying a restaurant I'd might like and I want just a quick and dirty description without the bickering, multiple opinions on strategy and 50 people who say they love it and never miss it and 50 people who say they hate it and would never do it again. Of course I still check those out too.